Home Match Day Thread +++ 20/01/2018 OUFC v Bury match thread +++

I'm a big Eastwood Fan but I even thought he did not look 100% today, Hopefully just a bad day at the office! Tiendalli MOM......Never, definite improvement but still to hesitant and giving the ball away far to much.

Terrible result and a poor performance.
This 10th place is only paper thin. Below us, it has tightened up considerably and we could very easily find ourselves scrapping for our lge 1 lives. Forget promotion, we are gone. We are in survival mode now and the sooner we get our heads around that the better.

Awful performance today but talk of sacking the manager is baloney. He’s just signed three new players, two of whom we haven’t seen.

I still maintain our injury luck has been terrible. Three of our best players out for ages - 1 international badly injured before he could even play a game.

As for the ‘shushing’ well if we’d won no one would have cared. Is this really a hanging offence ? Not in my book.

We will end up in mid table.

Bury were relegation fodder. Despite our awfulness we were still the better team.

We were the better team......... Really?

They looked far more fluid than us,we looked disjointed

We scored against the run of play and apart from ten minutes after the break they looked like they would create a few chances which we never did.

They also hit the post and had what looked like a good penalty waved away. I admit they were poor but we were worse.

Well you’ve won me over. When can you start...?! ?

Today was dreadful and there is something very weak and unconvincing about us. We are a footballing side who can’t pass the ball. But the vitriol against Clotet still seems disproportionate. Is it because he seems laid back, cultured, intelligent? I think some of our fans only want a good old boy who will give us a team of hundred per centers, nine Mickey Lewis trier types plus a nippy guy up front. And Eastwood in goal.

He comes as very media trained to me, every interview is the same and he gives away very little. A lot of that may be down to the fact that English is his second language, it must be hard to give post match interviews when you are not completely fluent (it’s a lot better than my Spanish but I don’t think even he would claim to be as comfortable in both), so he is very careful in what he says. It’s quite hard to have any connect with the man because of that, I think some people get frustrated with that especially when the football is as bad as it is at times, and that boils over.

Personality I am not bothered to much by who are manager is as long as the football is watchable and we seem to be heading in the right direction. The football at the moment is barely that, at times it’s like Appleton’s first season of pointless slow side to side passing with very little penetration, the forwards bare the brunt of the abuse but for me they are getting scraps at best, we don’t create chances.

Will it end up like Appleton Mark two with a huge improvement in the second season? Well we improved from March onwards in MAPPs first season and went in to the close season on a high and full of hope, I struggle to see enough happening over the next six weeks to build a side that will give us that belief.

This side isn’t good enough, if Eales believes in Clotet then he needs to let him bring in some more players now, if no more come in then it will just be a battle to get to safety, we will do it but it won’t quick and it won’t be pretty.

Maybe turning in his bed with nightmares about what’s happening at Oxford

I very much doubt it.

If he was that bothered about what he was building here he wouldn’t of left for a number 2 role at another club.

MApp did a great job for us and I will always wish him well in his future endeavours... but I also can’t help feeling a little bit pissed at him for leaving us. Or maybe I should be more pissed at DE for not pursuading him to stay.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I am really starting to feel like we were abandoned.

I always try to remain in the positive camp and find the good in most things but I have to say it is becoming a real struggle after yesterdays debacle. I really felt we would show up and put them to the sword and prove we were just too good for all this relegation talk... but in all honesty doubts are creeping in.

The pace that things seem to be unravelling is alarming. If/when Ledson does go and good forbid if Eastwood also exits at the last minute... the writing may well and truly be in the wall.

Awful performance today but talk of sacking the manager is baloney. He’s just signed three new players, two of whom we haven’t seen.

I still maintain our injury luck has been terrible. Three of our best players out for ages - 1 international badly injured before he could even play a game.

As for the ‘shushing’ well if we’d won no one would have cared. Is this really a hanging offence ? Not in my book.

Bury were relegation fodder. Despite our awfulness we were still the better team.

I commend your positivity and level headednesss Tim.

But after yesterday’s performance, I can’t agree that the team you describe as relegation fodder was any different to us other than the fact they took away the 3 points.

So the fact we were beaten by an inferior team is grounds for optimism..?

He comes as very media trained to me, every interview is the same and he gives away very little. A lot of that may be down to the fact that English is his second language, it must be hard to give post match interviews when you are not completely fluent (it’s a lot better than my Spanish but I don’t think even he would claim to be as comfortable in both), so he is very careful in what he says. It’s quite hard to have any connect with the man because of that, I think some people get frustrated with that especially when the football is as bad as it is at times, and that boils over.

Personality I am not bothered to much by who are manager is as long as the football is watchable and we seem to be heading in the right direction. The football at the moment is barely that, at times it’s like Appleton’s first season of pointless slow side to side passing with very little penetration, the forwards bare the brunt of the abuse but for me they are getting scraps at best, we don’t create chances.

Will it end up like Appleton Mark two with a huge improvement in the second season? Well we improved from March onwards in MAPPs first season and went in to the close season on a high and full of hope, I struggle to see enough happening over the next six weeks to build a side that will give us that belief.

This side isn’t good enough, if Eales believes in Clotet then he needs to let him bring in some more players now, if no more come in then it will just be a battle to get to safety, we will do it but it won’t quick and it won’t be pretty.

His post match interviews aren’t the route cause of the problem though. If we were playing fast attractive football and winning he could stand there making chicken noises and I don’t think the majority would care

• React
Reactions: ljs
Do you not think Tiendalli cost is the first with that awful back pass to Eastwood?

TBH I’d forgotten that but I still think over all his was the best performance. Maybe I’m being a bit lenient as I’m seeing steady improvement from, admittedly, rather a low starting point. But you can see there is, or was, a pretty accomplished footballer in there somewhere. Or am I grasping at straws..?

What i want to know is why did it take until Bury going 2-1 up for us to try and push forward and actually create chances? Why wasn't this the case when we were 1-0 up or even 1-1? It's like Pep has the mentality drilled into this team that we have to play a certain way until we're losing and not gaining points.

I wonder if it was clothead who had the bet on for OUFC to be in front at half time and go on to lose 2 - 1? £20.00 at 28-1 made someone a tidy profit. (bookie was a little miffed!)

His post match interviews aren’t the route cause of the problem though. If we were playing fast attractive football and winning he could stand there making chicken noises and I don’t think the majority would care

Obviously, I would happily have a Trappist monk as manager if we played football like we did a couple of years ago.

I very much doubt it.

If he was that bothered about what he was building here he wouldn’t of left for a number 2 role at another club.

MApp did a great job for us and I will always wish him well in his future endeavours... but I also can’t help feeling a little bit pissed at him for leaving us. Or maybe I should be more pissed at DE for not pursuading him to stay.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but I am really starting to feel like we were abandoned.

I always try to remain in the positive camp and find the good in most things but I have to say it is becoming a real struggle after yesterdays debacle. I really felt we would show up and put them to the sword and prove we were just too good for all this relegation talk... but in all honesty doubts are creeping in.

The pace that things seem to be unravelling is alarming. If/when Ledson does go and good forbid if Eastwood also exits at the last minute... the writing may well and truly be in the wall.

Probably about 300k reasons and Maybe DE has told him there may not be the funds available.

They're not the root cause, but they are a symptom of the problem. He doesn't seem to recognise that the same fatal flaws are not being fixed.

The worry is next week. Are we to be lambs to the slaughter like our 7-0 demolition at home?
After yesterday I can’t see where the points are coming from. We are still short of players and goals, and also have players underperforming.
Seems amazing we are tenth, but we have still lost more than we have won.
A few more defeats and we are looking at a nightmare season, after all th3 goo£ work done by Appleton.
Maybe a vote of confidence from Eales followed by the sack next Saturday

Watford have just sacked Silva and are tenth in the league. There’s some mad people out there

The worry is next week. Are we to be lambs to the slaughter like our 7-0 demolition at home?

If you are talking about Wigan away, it is postponed due to their Cup run.

Which after yesterdays inept, spineless, leaderless, low skill, high error, 3 shots on target game against the club at the bottom of the division is a huge relief.

After yesterday I can’t see where the points are coming from. We are still short of players and goals, and also have players underperforming.
Seems amazing we are tenth, but we have still lost more than we have won.
A few more defeats and we are looking at a nightmare season, after all th3 goo£ work done by Appleton.
Maybe a vote of confidence from Eales followed by the sack next Saturday

No need to worry about next week, we aren't playing!

Thankfully we don't have a first team match for two weeks which is a very small silver lining.

Back
Top Bottom