Home Match Day Thread 20/03/2021 L1 OUFC v Blackpool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for this, but the reason we battered Doncaster is because they let us play our way. It was a schoolboy error. They gave us control from the off, thus the raised tempo.

Thinking Blackpool would do exactly the same wasn't very clever either.

We have a decent defence (far better with Long) and 3 excellent attacking players: Taylor, Barker and Agyei, plus a fairly pedestrian midfield that lacks guile (if only Lee or Henry was fit we'd be better).

As long as we only set up with Taylor up front we're asking to be fucked. The reason we can't pass it out is because there's no movement forward and no threat apart from Barker and Taylor who can be nullified by doubling up on them.

Switching our attack around by playing Agyei and Taylor alternately and even together with Barker and his help mate Shodipo is the only way at the moment to give the opposition fear, and doing that switch regularly will make their manager (if he watches football at all) have to pick his system to meet an undefined threat rather than the same old thing we go with every time.

Props to @PottersRightBoot and @RyanioBirdio who seem to watch the same matches I do. God knows what half the posters here do during games.
Which kind of makes the point that blaming Robinson's tinkering is insane when arguably it was NOT changing that cost us.

I agree that we're missing Long who is more solid in defence and offers a better option further up the pitch. We're also missing someone that can make things happen, McGuane, last seasons Henry, Lee on his day, even Sykes in his West Ham form. I'm less dismissive of Taylor, but cut off his supply and you get nothing. Agyei does at least have the ability to create something from nothing but I'm not sure our 1st half performance would have given him enough of the ball either.

Players:
Hanson, too many brain farts, as capable of putting pressure on the opposition defence with a pass as
he is ours, i think he really fancies himself as a cultured passer and tbf he has the ability, but he has
moments when he just prods a ball to no one and all of a sudden we are on the back foot and its
panic stations, i really wish he would cut that out, did the same v tranmere
I think that’s the point about how you measure quality though. Any player can do pretty good things at that level. The good players are the ones who can deliver that consistently without error

Sorry for this, but the reason we battered Doncaster is because they let us play our way. It was a schoolboy error. They gave us control from the off, thus the raised tempo.

We have a decent defence (far better with Long) and 3 excellent attacking players: Taylor, Barker and Agyei, plus a fairly pedestrian midfield that lacks guile (if only Lee or Henry was fit we'd be better).

As long as we only set up with Taylor up front we're asking to be fucked. The reason we can't pass it out is because there's no movement forward and no threat apart from Barker and Taylor who can be nullified by doubling up on them.

Switching our attack around by playing Agyei and Taylor alternately and even together with Barker and his help mate Shodipo is the only way at the moment to give the opposition fear, and doing that switch regularly will make their manager (if he watches football at all) have to pick his system to meet an undefined threat rather than the same old thing we go with every time.

Props to @PottersRightBoot and @RyanioBirdio who seem to watch the same matches I do. God knows what half the posters here do during games.
I would add, despite getting stick on here, that Shopido should be added as to the 'three excellent attacking players' list. Despite having some deficiencies and areas to develop, his goal return has been excellent and he will only get better.

Barker is obviously good but unfortunately he seems like a car running on low petrol all the time and when it is out, it just stops. As soon as he is gassed, that is it for him for the match, no second wind at all.

It is not just a lack of movement further forward that is our issue, we actually have no central midfielders who can drive with the ball forward. Creating space and drawing in defenders. Atkinson our CB is our only player who seems to be able to do this from a central position.

You’ll never be a true fan.

Exactly why 10 and not 11

Sykes is not a wide man and has scored oh 1 goal all season

Rest Shrop just does not sense. Pace and goals

Don't forget if you set attacking sides it makes a pressing game harder.

Plus and identical winning side must take confidence into the game.

Last edited:
Variety is the spice of life......... Blackpool done to us exactly what we did to Donny.
If the manager changes the team he`s "tinkering" if he doesn`t he`s "clueless".
The team on the pitch in the second half could have easily made it 2-2 or even a 3-2 win....

2nd half if Atkinson scores early on with the free header it could have been extremely different, if Sykes scores from within the 6 yard box again an interesting finale .
We missed and they saw the game out but it is fine margins , If Kelly doesn't gift them the corner they made it 2-0 from and we get to the break 1-0 down....ifs and buts !

Variety is the spice of life......... Blackpool done to us exactly what we did to Donny.
If the manager changes the team he`s "tinkering" if he doesn`t he`s "clueless".
The team on the pitch in the second half could have easily made it 2-2 or even a 3-2 win....
Not sure about the easily bit in that tbh but yea, an early enough goal would
have made things interesting and if there was enough time left i would probably
have backed us to go on and get at least a point.

do they still do dope/ drug testing post match in EFL? .... given how much faster the entire Blackpool team were yesterday, I reckon the absentee Hamilton could have been sharing his 'unnatural sort of speed' with his team mates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom