Away Match Day Thread 20/04/2021 L1 AFC Wimbledon v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
A pause for thought here. Last evening's result was a disappointment and there is no denying it. However, it has to be taken into context. I have been checking up on our fixtures around ten seasons ago at a similar time in April. I see we lost at Eastbourne 1 - 0. Previous to that we were spiralling down to the foot ofthe table under Patterson. You all know this of course, but it is worth reflecting upon. What followed was the stuff of dreams . I remember our first game back in Division One when we got a point against Chesterfield. I was relieved that we had at least got a point on the board. And look at Chesterfield now. The last decade has been one of consolidation with a smattering of Cup runs into the bargain. All this has been achieved with no help from an intransigent ground owner. Maybe we expect too much, too soon. I feel the future is looking bright with the present manager at the helm..

I don't think we expect too much, alot of frustration this season stems from the poor start with players being played out of position and certain players bought in that weren't up to speed. Hopefully next season Robbo will bring in what is needed for the start of the season.

We had a real chance of going up this year and have come up short again. Looking back obviously we were in a worst position 10 years ago, but then 35 years ago we were higher then we are now. That's just history..

The stadium issue just keeps rolling along with no real update from the club. Good news about this will certainly help massively with the frustration of missing out on promotion again.

I don't think we expect too much, alot of frustration this season stems from the poor start with players being played out of position and certain players bought in that weren't up to speed. Hopefully next season Robbo will bring in what is needed for the start of the season.

We had a real chance of going up this year and have come up short again. Looking back obviously we were in a worst position 10 years ago, but then 35 years ago we were higher then we are now. That's just history..

The stadium issue just keeps rolling along with no real update from the club. Good news about this will certainly help massively with the frustration of missing out on promotion again.

Next season... 3rd time lucky 😉

A pause for thought here. Last evening's result was a disappointment and there is no denying it. However, it has to be taken into context. I have been checking up on our fixtures around ten seasons ago at a similar time in April. I see we lost at Eastbourne 1 - 0. Previous to that we were spiralling down to the foot ofthe table under Patterson. You all know this of course, but it is worth reflecting upon. What followed was the stuff of dreams . I remember our first game back in Division One when we got a point against Chesterfield. I was relieved that we had at least got a point on the board. And look at Chesterfield now. The last decade has been one of consolidation with a smattering of Cup runs into the bargain. All this has been achieved with no help from an intransigent ground owner. Maybe we expect too much, too soon. I feel the future is looking bright with the present manager at the helm..
I think it's only human for fans to want us to keep winning, and some of the criticisms of the past few months are justified no matter where we were a decade a go. Could it be a lot worse for us? Yes, but the same could be said for almost every other club. I think people are conscious of the fact that we're two bad seasons away from that same position and Karl has been flirting with relegation more than any of the previous two managers.

Obviously it's not panic stations, but this is our 5th season in League One and 11th back in the Football League so you have to judge the pros and cons of this campaign on more recent seasons in this division than where we were in the Blue Square Premier under Patto.

I think it's only human for fans to want us to keep winning, and some of the criticisms of the past few months are justified no matter where we were a decade a go. Could it be a lot worse for us? Yes, but the same could be said for almost every other club. I think people are conscious of the fact that we're two bad seasons away from that same position and Karl has been flirting with relegation more than any of the previous two managers.

Obviously it's not panic stations, but this is our 5th season in League One and 11th back in the Football League so you have to judge the pros and cons of this campaign on more recent seasons in this division than where we were in the Blue Square Premier under Patto.
Point taken.

I think the last two seasons have been pretty good and were are in a decent place. As you say though, if recruitment is shambolic in the summer, we start badly again and then flatter to deceive I think a lot of people will be questioning Karl's position.

Look folks, when we were regularly visiting Farsley, St Albans and Ebbsfleet, we would have killed to be in this position.
Just enjoy the ride...

I actually didn’t mind St Albans... nice little park coming out of the ground 🙃.

Barrow, well that’s another story.

Having had time to read through this thread it amazes me that some fans can get apoplectic over one result
To blame James Henry is ludicrous, it was he who tracked back and stopped the run of their player in the first place. In his position on the line it is an instinctive reaction
Fans on here get overjoyed on Saturday when we were awful for 80 minutes and think we are diabolical last night after being in control for 60 minutes. Don’t forget tha Branagan free kick just before their goal another 2 inches higher and we are 2 0 up
Football is about fine margins
What I find most annoying is the level of abuse aimed at some posters. This should stop immediately
Football is a game of opinions I’m old enough to remember fans having a go at Arthur Turner but he got us promoted the following season. Likewise with Jim Smith in his first full season in charge people wanted him out but the following season it all came good
I think as a club OUFC are doing some great things. With the Chairman out of the country a lot falls on KR’s shoulders.
He has done a good job by and large we are around where we should be with our budget challenging for the playoffs.
Next year I expect us to be in League 1 If we get extra cash then I expect us to be challenging for an automatic place
That is where we are let’s hope we win all 3 games and give ourselves a chance but come what may we will all be supporting the Yellows next year
Agree with nearly all of that.
Except I don't remember people wanting Jim Smith out after his first full season. We finished 5th just 4 points off automatic promotion with 78 points. The best we had done for years. Of course we all know we walked it the following season.
Lets see where we end up after the next 3 games.

Well ,
Agree with nearly all of that.
Except I don't remember people wanting Jim Smith out after his first full season. We finished 5th just 4 points off automatic promotion with 78 points. The best we had done for years. Of course we all know we walked it the following season.
Lets see where we end up after the next 3 games.
Well since the previous season when we also finished 5th ! And blew it in the last 5 games , 3 away from home!
And Jim could build on what he had without selling anybody which helped !

Well ,

Well since the previous season when we also finished 5th ! And blew it in the last 5 games , 3 away from home!
And Jim could build on what he had without selling anybody which helped !
Yes true but Jim only took over in March so it wasn't his first full season. The following season we had 7 more points even though we finished 5th. I do remember the disgruntled fans after losing those last 3. Things were vastly different with no social media!!

Just as an afterthought, does anyone think that Henry should have let the ball go into the net rather than handling it? That way, it would still have been 1-1 but we would have had 11 players still on the pitch and who knows what might have happened. I know it's pure speculation, just wondering what others think.

Just as an afterthought, does anyone think that Henry should have let the ball go into the net rather than handling it? That way, it would still have been 1-1 but we would have had 11 players still on the pitch and who knows what might have happened. I know it's pure speculation, just wondering what others think.
Yes. I don’t believe that it’s unavoidable due to reflexes; he’s spent enough of his life playing football to know that he actively needs to get his hands away from the ball, not throw them at it. No footballer in their thirties should be actively trying to palm the ball away like that. You rarely see it at any level because it’s drilled into every player who isn’t a keeper that you stay the hell away from the ball with your hands. I don’t know why he did it, but it happened.

He’s been brilliant of late so I think it’s just one of those things that you have to sort of slap your forehead and roll your eyes at. He probably doesn’t know why he did it himself. I hope he comes back for the last two games and is back to his best.

Definitely don't give me in the instinct thing though, that much movement towards the ball is not instinct, he has previous form for handling on the line he's just got away with it a couple of times.

Only he knows for sure, but the red card was brought in to stop players doing what he did and I don’t think it was instinct, Henry has been a decent player for us over the years so shouldn’t been hung out to dry.

Look folks, when we were regularly visiting Farsley, St Albans and Ebbsfleet, we would have killed to be in this position.
Just enjoy the ride...

I hope that if I am murdered the motive isn’t to finish just outside the league one play offs, hopefully my killers are more ambitious than that.

Of course he should, he totally fucked up. Odd that our most experienced and possibly most intelligent player should do that, but people do silly things. Even I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom