Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
For all the talk of overreacting and doom mongering on here, there is definitely something to say for the fact that we're going into next season with a threadbare squad of injury prone players. We've just lost the last of our great assets. I'm sure we'll have a decent squad come the end of August but is that really how a top League 1 club operates?

Feels like we've fucked it already and a ball hasn't been kicked.

Because from what we've gathered from Robinson and ITK users on here, the position wasn't being actively targeted and if it was, we would've already made moves in anticipation or outright cover. I have no doubts we can replace him and will sign someone in that space but this could've been explored weeks ago and even in the last window. Despite the Brannagan contract situation, I don't think anyone saw his departure happening this window and it's not a position we've been targeting for this reason. You can see the surprise and slight panic we are now in.

Didn't ITK users talk about Tyler Morton who plays central midfield and we have been linked to him in the press as well. Likewise, there is a claim of a photo of Massimo Luongo at training (haven't a clue if it is him). These would suggest the position was actively being targeted at least at one point of the window.

I'm sorry, but any player worth his salt would/should have no problem joining a team to compete with good players for a starting spot, it's what makes good players better players, and the genuine competition for places creates winning teams.
That simply isn’t true; at least not in all cases. Why do you think Spurs have had no adequate support for Harry Kane for however many years? Why hasn’t any other top striker gone there with confidence to try and take his position? Does that make them unambitious or do they recognise that some players simply cannot be dislodged and actually going there to play second fiddle is not going to do their career any favours? CamBran was invincible here and the first name on the team sheet. Nobody currently on his level would come here to compete with him - at least not if playing regularly matters to them. And actually the pool of players just blew far more open because we now have a clear vacancy in our first XI to advertise.

I do get sick of the holier than thou attitude KR adopts. He likes to be seen to do things the right way when it’s sometimes to the clubs detriment.
Say we’re after Camera from Plymouth, we should be in there today badgering his agent and doing all the things that are done to us. Plymouth are a play off rival so we don’t need to be doing them any favours.

I do get sick of the holier than thou attitude KR adopts. He likes to be seen to do things the right way when it’s sometimes to the clubs detriment.
Say we’re after Camera from Plymouth, we should be in there today badgering his agent and doing all the things that are done to us. Plymouth are a play off rival so we don’t need to be doing them any favours.
Wonder who Camara's agent is (looky eyes emoji)

Longstaff
Rudoni
Camara
Elliot Anderson
Aaron Collins
Curtis
Afolayan

Get all of them in and I will be happy.

Because from what we've gathered from Robinson and ITK users on here, the position wasn't being actively targeted and if it was, we would've already made moves in anticipation or outright cover. I have no doubts we can replace him and will sign someone in that space but this could've been explored weeks ago and even in the last window. Despite the Brannagan contract situation, I don't think anyone saw his departure happening this window and it's not a position we've been targeting for this reason. You can see the surprise and slight panic we are now in.
That’s 2 different things though. We didn’t need a Brannagan replacement at the start of the window because he was here. That doesn’t mean we don’t have a plan in the event his clause was triggered. We need to give them a chance here. Too many people are down their throat over something beyond their control. What they can control is their reaction to this and that’s what we should be judging in time.

This sounds like OUFC countered Blackpool's offer of personal terns but Brannagan doesn't want to stay anymore:

One of the reasons he gave for wanting to stay on at the end of season meal, is that he believed this season the squad would be giving it a big promotion push. If what this poster says is true then does it reflect his perception of the state of the squad at the moment?

Said at the time, but 90% sure that wasn't Luongo who was spotted in a video . Wasn't in club training kit and didn't get involved in the drill being filmed. Looked like a coach.

What is it with our players moving to the North West!? 😁 McNally (Burnley), CamBran (Blackpool) and now Forde (Wrexham). Must be something in the water!!! 😁

But it should have been top of Robinsons radar, this could have come at any time. Therefore a direct replacement or two should be there now to go for, even two days before the first game of the season

That simply isn’t true; at least not in all cases. Why do you think Spurs have had no adequate support for Harry Kane for however many years? Why hasn’t any other top striker gone there with confidence to try and take his position? Does that make them unambitious or do they recognise that some players simply cannot be dislodged and actually going there to play second fiddle is not going to do their career any favours? CamBran was invincible here and the first name on the team sheet. Nobody currently on his level would come here to compete with him - at least not if playing regularly matters to them. And actually the pool of players just blew far more open because we now have a clear vacancy in our first XI to advertise.
Not quite a fair comparison as they play with one up front so any other striker will definitely be backup. We have three midfield spots up for grabs, someone like Camara (for example) would have fit in just fine alongside Cam.

To quote your example, who have Spurs been trying to sign, but has turned them down because they're afraid to have the challenge of dethroning Kane as the number 1 striker?
Do you think that would've happened at Man Utd in the 90's and 2000's under Ferguson? Top players went there for the challenge, and if they were better than what he already had, he wouldn't think twice about replacing the existing player, no matter who they were. That's what made him, the players, and Man Utd serial winners.

Call me old fashioned, but I'm of the opinion that no player is untouchable, whoever it is. If he's not cutting it, he's coming out of the side, and it's up to him to win his place back, and I would assure any potential signing of my stance on that, and if that player were to knuckle down, and outperform the so called "invincible" player in training, then he'd get the nod on matchday, equally I'd put a rocket up the current "invincible" player to up his game even more if he wants to keep his place.

Great managers are not afraid to make those calls, and great players are not put off by competition and the possibility of missing out on a starting place, it's what drives them to be better players, and become winners.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom