Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it the quality of squad id have hoped for a Top 30 club? No. Weaker than last season.

You won't find too many clubs that are stronger than last season, and that's across all the leagues. Still a lot of clubs going to be finalising their squads in the next few weeks.

As an aside, this is the time to have a look through squads and who isn’t involved. Players either on the way out, or realise they aren’t part of the first XI plans and look to move.

As an aside, this is the time to have a look through squads and who isn’t involved. Players either on the way out, or realise they aren’t part of the first XI plans and look to move.

Yeah, I've been doing just that! Gavin Whyte is on the Cardiff bench today. Coventry not playing today so can't check on Todd Kane.

The squad is light, only have to look at that bench to see that. Mind you when I started going to football you could only name two subs anyway so I am going to stop being a wet wipe and enjoy the fact that football is back and it’s a nice summers afternoon (unless we lose).

Experience has got the nod here and a focus on players who can keep the ball. Murphy will come on and change things vs tired legs. I see the sense in it but with Jones not registered in time his options are limited.

Smyth not even on the bench. Going out on loan?

Seddon and Bodin on the left isn’t particularly strong defensively.

I like seeing the youngsters on the bench, I hope we’ll continue using them even when we’ve made more signings

The transfer window countdown on Sky has got stuck at 34 days 0 hours 0 minutes 0 seconds - this thread could go on for ever!

Karl said that Wildschut came out of surgery earlier and it was a bad hamstring injury. so i take it from that he will be out for a few months.

Also said we're after a right back but not a left back 🤔 wants another midfielder (not defensive) .

UTO said we were after a left back so maybe Karl was just not giving much away, after all he didnt play Seddon at the end of last season.

So, after watching us play, I'm only going to adjust my 'What we need' post very slightly. Now it's:

1) RB - because at the moment, if Sam Long gets injured, our plan B is apparently to play a 17 year old out of position there!

2) Striker - key position, but we can conceivably play Browne or Murphy up top if we need to. And Baldock will hopefully be back one day; still very important that we bring in an alternative option to our master poacher. And now, having seen that KR doesn't seem comfortable playing Browne or Murphy up top, and instead left Matty T on the pitch despite the fact he was spent - it's even more vital to get this done asp

3) CM - Less important than it was in the middle of the day Thursday! But we're still light in terms of bodies, and definitely light in terms of defensive capabilities. So McGuane was excellent today, and did make me think that I might be wrong, and he could play that CDM role......in which case, we need another more creative midfielder, so that when we feel we need to get more solid, we can play a tight midfield three; and in case anything should happen to Cam.

4) LB - I still think Brown is a CB not a LB, but I guess we could muddle through with him and Seddon if we absolutely had to. Yeah, no we can't. I guess I'd forgotten over the summer how weak Seddon's defending is - just doesn't seem to have any awareness of how the play is progressing around him, and players were getting in behind him constantly. That's not a lack of confidence that does that, and it's not something that's easy to learn. Maybe he could be a decent LWB because he does have some skills going forwards. But a League One playoff-standard LB, he is not.

5) Winger - would be more of a luxury signing. Even with Wildschut's injury, we now have three excellent options in Jones/Browne/Murphy, plus two who can play there in Henry & Bodin, and Goodrham as well. Would still be nice to have more depth given the injury histories of the players we do have.

In terms of timing, the equation is pretty simple now that the games have started.
The longer it takes us, the more points we're going to drop because we're short in all these areas. It's criminal nowadays to only have two subs that you're comfortable bringing on before the 97th minute.
And the more points we drop in August, the less likely we are to be in the picture come April.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom