Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing is, we were already on the back foot for 10-15mins before Gorrin came on because we were too deep, wasting time and generally trying to break up the game to not allow them any rhythm, but due to these tactics it stopped any rhythm of our own too which we had in the first half, that’s what was so frustrating. It was so obvious we set our stool out to either nick a 1-0 win or draw. Karl does it so many times e.g. over thinks things. Then when we’re 1-0 down he’s urging them forwards, but the mind set is now difficult to change, especially when you bring on an unfit defensive central midfielder what do you expect, we’re not suddenly going to be on the front foot pushing forward for an equaliser.

Poor management on both fronts e.g. tactics and squad assembly. Pisses me off because we never seem to learn.

We’ve got 3 or 4 players (may be more) at least you you know they’re one tackle from being out long term and wince when they go in for one. Yes, one or 2, but not half the team.
I do think Gorrin should of been closing the space down though. That’s kind of his job as a CDM. I understand he’s been injured for the best part of 9 months. Just think he should of been pressing the ball.

Also been saying it for two seasons. Yes Taylor is as good as it gets at this level, but he scored goals in bunches and then goes missing for 3 or 4 games. He’s not a 1 up top striker on his own. He was anonymous yesterday & at 1-0 down we had nothing to lose, 2 subs available and 2 young lads who could of come off the bench but we bring on a CB in the 90th minute. Robinson really does need to stop being so naive. He could of brought on O’Donkor with 10 to go, we had nothing to lose. That’s poor decision making on his part. Those type of games will decide if we have a successful season or not. We need to improve the squad and judge after 10-15 games. However I do feel we might be seeing KR make the same mistakes as he always has away from home.

Even before today another striker was absolutely essential but after that it’s the most pressing signing we need to make. Taylor was awful, Baldock is a crock, Brown isn’t a centre forward, the lad on the bench is really nowhere near ready. Cole Stockton is the answer but are we in for him ?

Taylor is walking in to that team unchallenged. If we fail to sign another quality striker then Taylor could go goalless in the next 6, 8, 10 games and still be picked. It’s all wrong. He has zero pressure on his place and his performance today looked like it - poor touch, indecisive with a couple of chances and looked like he couldn’t really be arsed to press.
Taylor was poor yesterday and is at his best when he has someone like Baldock creating space and pulling defenders away. But your post appears to be implying he is coasting because he is not under pressure for his place. That if so, in my opinion, is utter rubbish. Good, bad or indifferent, one thing you always get from Taylor is effort. How we play to his strengths is the issue!

Last edited:
Harsh on dumps this East Stand Fan! Ours has a very nice vista, Blackpool, absolutely FA!

Taylor was poor yesterday and is at his best when he has someone like Baldock creating space and pulling defenders away. But your post suggests he is coasting because he is not under pressure for his place. That in my opinion is utter rubbish. Good, bad or indifferent, one thing you always get from Taylor is effort. How we play to his strengths is the issue!
Agree though KR did intimate yesterday that he wanted to keep his critical comments about up top for their ears only.

Should’ve been nowhere near playing yesterday but we had to because we had failed during the summer . Including not getting a player registered that had been with us for 2 months. As was said on another thread that is amateurish especially given the state of our bench yesterday
It was strange to leave the Jones signature till so late especially as all the very extensive medical and physical checks had been done the week before
Even so I suspect the late upset with Brannagan may have been a factor
We had to get his new contract done very late on Thursday which meant that Jones couldn't be finalised till Friday, too late to meet the deadline for yesterday

Harsh on dumps this East Stand Fan! Ours has a very nice vista, Blackpool, absolutely FA!

Taylor was poor yesterday and is at his best when he has someone like Baldock creating space and pulling defenders away. But your post appears to be implying he is coasting because he is not under pressure for his place. That if so, in my opinion, is utter rubbish. Good, bad or indifferent, one thing you always get from Taylor is effort. How we play to his strengths is the issue!
And shithousery which can be embarrassing at times. Wish he’d just focus on his footballing ability which he has abundance of.

And shithousery which can be embarrassing at times. Wish he’d just focus on his footballing ability which he has abundance of.
Problem for me is away from home the home team can push on , Taylor doesn't have the pace to hurt them with the ball over the top nor is big enough to win the aerial challenges. Flank him with Bodin and Henry and we are massively too slow with only Browne having some pace .
Crying out for Goodrham to come on right wing to at least make them think .
Too too easy to defend against .
Smyth must be injured as otherwise surely should have been playing?

the bid we made for a striker was a very aggressive one, it got turned down but was impressed with the name linked, if that’s what we’re aiming for then we definitely have the budget for it

the bid we made for a striker was a very aggressive one, it got turned down but was impressed with the name linked, if that’s what we’re aiming for then we definitely have the budget for it

We could bid a fiver and a Mars bar for Harry kane but obviously would never sign him. I'm judging this window on who we bring in ,not who we are interested in.

Supposed to be some transfer news via Alan Nixon from the Sun today according to an earlier tweet. Doesn't seem to have published anything yet though.

Supposed to be some transfer news via Alan Nixon from the Sun today according to an earlier tweet. Doesn't seem to have published anything yet though.
He did post some earlier and all it was is that Palace winger Rak Sakyi is signing a new contract with them before going out on loan and it’s between us, Charlton and Lincoln still.

Problem for me is away from home the home team can push on , Taylor doesn't have the pace to hurt them with the ball over the top nor is big enough to win the aerial challenges. Flank him with Bodin and Henry and we are massively too slow with only Browne having some pace .
Crying out for Goodrham to come on right wing to at least make them think .
Too too easy to defend against .
Smyth must be injured as otherwise surely should have been playing?
He seems well down the pecking order and looks like going out on loan. Hopefully not another Joel Cooper scenario.

What I saw of him against WBA he impressed me, but I think Karl sees differently. Hope I’m wrong though re; Karl’s thoughts!

Gorrin must be very rusty, he had played half an hour of a pre season friendly since last October, asking a lot for him to return up to speed after that sort of lay off.
Gorrin has never looked much good when playing in a 4231. He’s much more comfortable at the base of a 433 midfield where he’s the lone CDM. Sharing duties and having a ‘zone’ rather than being able to move freely across the pitch while screening just doesn’t seem to suit him.

I think he probably is rusty as well, but the combination of the two was a bit of a disaster yesterday. I assumed when the changes were made that we were changing shape to 433 with McGuane and Brannagan as 8s and Gorrin at the base, which would also have made the centre of midfield a bit more compact to stop the pressure that Derby were starting to apply.

If 4231 is going to be the primary shape this season then Gorrin will largely be a passenger regardless of fitness, IMO.

Gorrin has never looked much good when playing in a 4231. He’s much more comfortable at the base of a 433 midfield where he’s the lone CDM. Sharing duties and having a ‘zone’ rather than being able to move freely across the pitch while screening just doesn’t seem to suit him.

I think he probably is rusty as well, but the combination of the two was a bit of a disaster yesterday. I assumed when the changes were made that we were changing shape to 433 with McGuane and Brannagan as 8s and Gorrin at the base, which would also have made the centre of midfield a bit more compact to stop the pressure that Derby were starting to apply.

If 4231 is going to be the primary shape this season then Gorrin will largely be a passenger regardless of fitness, IMO.

Agreed, and be a huge shame for Brannagan too. Has always been best on the left of a 3, won’t have the attacking freedom playing in a sitting 2

If we're to make five new signings - I'd bring in a left-back, right-back, CDM, creative mid and a striker. Don't really feel another winger should be a priority now we've added Jodi Jones.

Agreed, and be a huge shame for Brannagan too. Has always been best on the left of a 3, won’t have the attacking freedom playing in a sitting 2

Doesn't bode well, does it?

We could bid a fiver and a Mars bar for Harry kane but obviously would never sign him. I'm judging this window on who we bring in ,not who we are interested in.
I think WEyellow was just trying to let us all know, that good money is still available for a striker. Which is good to know we are making bids for players, and not just trying to pick up freebie’s. Do you not think?

Yes, feel the same about CB. He will do a job in other roles and play okay but he is neither a CDM nor a 10 if you want him firing and on top of his game. He’s a box to box number 8 and a bloody good one at that.

14 months ago after the play-off semi defeat, Robinson said that we needed more power in the midfield. All three central midfielders who featured for us yesterday have been at the club since the summer of 2020 at a minimum, and after the game the talk in his post-match was of another central midfielder coming in who is “creative”, while the suggestion seemed to be that Smyth, who is a 6’2” U21 international who has three years on his contract, is probably not going to be in the frame this season. I find that confusing as ever since he arrived in January there has been lots of excitement from within the club regarding how good he was going to be by the end of the year. To go from that to putting three teenagers on the bench ahead of him and RadOx implying he’s possibly not going to get a look in seems very peculiar.

Will be interesting to see how the squad looks in 30 days’ time and what appears to be the preferred system.

Last edited:
We need to take a flyer on a younger powerful player so we can change it upfront when we need to.

Would also add to the above that in the pre-match KR said he was on a zoom to a possible Branngan replacement when Branngan messaged to say he was staying. To get the best out of Brannagan you have to play him as a box to box #8. We fell into the same trap with Kane last season.

A striker like Joseph (or Garrick - I know he’s moved) to do as Garrick did against us at home last season would be ideal. A player with mobility to run channels and offer a threat behind defences. Our best opportunities yesterday came from Bodin’s diagonal runs behind.

Yesterday confirmed what we already knew - we need additions and have an incredibly light bench. Eastwood doesn’t have the ball playing ability to play the role (I suspect) KR wants of him. Seddon still the weakness and will continue to be targeted. I thought in spells we were quite decent yesterday but derby bringing on sibley changed the game in their favour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom