Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Far too much weight is given to that statement.

In November 2021, Bakrie was asked about promotion and he said "if we can make it in this 2 years to go up the league, that will be ideal."

It's not the be all or end all scenario that some are using to suggest that this could be Robinson's last season. The board are clearly ambitious and success on the pitch is just as important as success off it with the stadium. But Robinson is very much part of the plan for the next few years and he has been trusted to bring in the players he wants on long term contracts. As @WEYellow has said, it will take a disastrous season to make the board act before the summer.
If there is one thing certain as a manager is that you get sacked if you dont succeed, and the stakes rise the bigger the budget. KR is not daft, he knows the expectation is promotion or play offs, with the potential for spending this season.
For kr, as manager, to be part of any future ground development in years to come, depends on a modicum of success coming on the pitch. The same outcomes of success other football managers who have worked under members of the board have had placed on them.
To see kr as some sort of permanent fixture, a kind of Dumbledor character because he's a nice guy, regardless of results on the pitch is rather unrealistic.

I don't know. I like him but not sure he's the WOW factor that KR was alluding to in the interview last night. Also, can we afford his wages?

Depends which Fosu plays, the early in the season one then yes please (would be a WOW signing), but the one that wasn't giving 100% no thanks (definitely not a WOW signing).

If there is one thing certain as a manager is that you get sacked if you dont succeed, and the stakes rise the bigger the budget. KR is not daft, he knows the expectation is promotion or play offs, with the potential for spending this season.
For kr, as manager, to be part of any future ground development in years to come, depends on a modicum of success coming on the pitch. The same outcomes of success other football managers who have worked under members of the board have had placed on them.
To see kr as some sort of permanent fixture, a kind of Dumbledor character because he's a nice guy, regardless of results on the pitch is rather unrealistic.

Screenshot_20220810-204742_Google.jpg

There’s absolutely no way that the contract will be run down. Neither party would want that. It happened to Wilder and it was the beginning of the end.

He’ll be given a new contract, be sacked or engineer a move to get himself more security but it certainly won’t just run its course.
Disagree, personally. For starters, I don’t think Karl leaves now unless he’s pushed and when he does leave, I think he may want a break! I don’t care how close he was to QPR or whatever in the summer - a lot has happened since then and I think he recognises what he’s got here now and the opportunity ahead of him; he’s got unfinished business and a blank cheque to help finish it. He looks/sounds up for it this year particularly now we’ve started playing.

I don’t think he gets a new contract unless we go up and I don’t think he gets sacked because I can’t see a Karl Robinson side finishing in the bottom half, let alone with these players. We will have ups and downs but I think he does get in the play offs this year. I also don’t see the board compensating him to leave when they’ve just assembled him a team at great cost for the next 2 seasons.

If we finish in the top 6 this season but stay down, he will stay but he won’t get a new contract, I don’t think. He may need his best smile if he finishes outside play offs to be granted another go, but I’m still not convinced they’d change it. If that happens again in year 2, that would mean he’s had 6/7 years here and for the last 2 of those, he will have had no excuses, in theory. Even I will be saying thank you for taking our club forward and giving it everything but we need to move on and get the job done. So we part ways amicably and cost effectively with the core of a squad to go forward with.

I can definitely see his contract running down when you look at the road map of the club for the next 2 seasons and how much KR loves the club and puts in to the job. It feels like a scenario where there’s no rush either way - they’ll give each other everything for 2 years and see where we are.

Last edited:
Perhaps we need to be a bit more aggressive with our targets, and be decisive. Table the offer to Salford, and quickly get the player in for contract talks and wages, and get the deal over the line asap.

Cole Stockton could be an excellent signing for Fleetwood. Should Morecambe accept it of course.

Perhaps we need to be a bit more aggressive with our targets, and be decisive. Table the offer to Salford, and quickly get the player in for contract talks and wages, and get the deal over the line asap.

Cole Stockton could be an excellent signing for Fleetwood. Should Morecambe accept it of course.

That's all fine if the club are happy to sell, the player is happy to sign AND no other clubs are involved.

The moment that there is other interest you either have to bid far more than everyone else, pay far higher wages than everyone else or play a little cat and mouse to get the deal that suits all parties.

That's all fine if the club are happy to sell, the player is happy to sign AND no other clubs are involved.

The moment that there is other interest you either have to bid far more than everyone else, pay far higher wages than everyone else or play a little cat and mouse to get the deal that suits all parties.
Getting your excuses in early again.

You can also be ruthlessly efficient, it's not always a case of OUFC dancing to the tune of the selling club/player/agents/other interested parties.

I know it's not simple, business of this nature rarely is - but you are always so quick to line up a plethora of possible excuses when in reality we may be further along than you realise.

Look how ruthlessly efficient we were in re-signing Cam Bran when it was needed.

You need to be more positive.

Jerome went on the record at the back end of last season and said that the board would be far from happy about missing out on the playoffs, and that if the same were to happen this season they would be even unhappier still. If top six is missed this season then Robinson is going to have to go some to explain his way out of it. Especially given the increased budget and the level of spending sanctioned.
Makes sense.
I can see no reason at all why very successful businessmen provide a top 4/5 budget and don't expect Top 6 as a minimum.

There is a lot of stability in the backroom staff and the team.

Not making the play offs unless something exceptional happens will be failure surely.

Getting your excuses in early again.

You can also be ruthlessly efficient, it's not always a case of OUFC dancing to the tune of the selling club/player/agents/other interested parties.

I know it's not simple, business of this nature rarely is - but you are always so quick to line up a plethora of possible excuses when in reality we may be further along than you realise.

Look how ruthlessly efficient we were in re-signing Cam Bran when it was needed.

You need to be more positive.

Quite!

You pick up the phone “ hello KR here how much are you willing to accept for such and such”. We would listen to offers around this mark. “Great here you go tell him to come and have talks with us”.

The player arrives loves the training facilities and clubs ambitions. Here’s what we will offer you! Player puts ink on paper, and plays Saturday against Bristol Rovers, and scores a hat trick. Job done.

To get promoted the team need to on top of their games every game , with every player fit and match ready, have we got that, not at the moment

Quite!

You pick up the phone “ hello KR here how much are you willing to accept for such and such”. We would listen to offers around this mark. “Great here you go tell him to come and have talks with us”.

The player arrives loves the training facilities and clubs ambitions. Here’s what we will offer you! Player puts ink on paper, and plays Saturday against Bristol Rovers, and scores a hat trick. Job done.
Then you wake up smell the bacon and think f**k me that was a lovely dream 👀🙂

We're signing Eeyore the donkey?

I couldn't careless about cup competitions, the position & needs of the club mean currently they are great for playing kids in, that's it.

The league and only the league should be what Robinson is judged on.
Play offs or above is the minimum that an ambitious & well backing board should accept.
I'm sure KR is a great bloke and that is a lovely cherry on top off but if he can't build a balanced squad (with enough defenders 🤯) it will ultimately mean nothing.
i for one could care about the cups....the thrill the experience..the chopping big teams heads off...if you dont care about the cups you need to stop following football

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom