Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the League 2 playoff game last night between Northampton & Mansfield.
I was impressed by McWillams for Northampton, he came across as the kind of player we were missing in the middle this year, he liked a tackle but also dropped off to pick the ball up from defenders and looked to play at times too. His contract is up with them and they look resigned to losing him now they know they will be in league 2.
Of course I am going off the knowledge of 1 game and the word of a few cobblers supporters who have told me how highly they rate him but I wouldn’t be disappointed to see us sign him.

Think this may be Oisin Smyth's role. Very exciting prospect.

Think this may be Oisin Smyth's role. Very exciting prospect.

We only had one holding midfielder in the squad last year, he got injured and was never replaced so hopefully Smyth won’t be the only option there by the beginning of the season.

Smyth won't play defensive midfield, that's not his game. He comes deep to collect the ball yes, but he won't be screening the defence that's for sure. From what I've seen of him he'd be a perfect Cam replacement if he was to go, if not, then we could have a perfectly balanced midfield 2 (CB + OS) being allowed to play by a natural DMF.

Tyreeq Bakinson available on a free from Bristol City. Powerful box to box midfielder. Was good on loan at Ipswich last season

Has definitely been on our radar previously. Think we would face strong competition from teams higher up the pyramid.
I'd be surprised with the teams in the championship looking at him if he ended up here next season BUT you never know

didn’t Peterborough also try and sign Boyle in the summer. I suppose we’d be relatively local for him.

My question is.. If Smyth is seen as a genuine option for the upcoming season, how come we did not see him at all last season?

Unless I'm much mistaken, we signed McNally in January 2021, but we didn't see him in yellow until August? And he grew into one of our best players in 2021/22!

I think it's just part of our current model - we're identifying talented players from the emerald isle, but working on the basis that they will need a bit of time to adjust to English football (and England in general) so we don't rush them.........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom