Transfer News 2022/23 Season Incoming Transfers and a few other things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tom Eaves is a fantastic target man striker at League One level, would be very happy if we signed him.
It's interesting isn't it that he was one of the best forwards in league one but didn't really make much of a mark in the championship.

Reckon that any other Striker will be a young loan player. Taylor, Baldock and Browne will be rotated and someone experienced liked Eaves just wouldn’t go for that. He will want to start 40+ games a season.

Plus, we don’t need to blow the budget on another striker when the money is needed elsewhere across the team.

We might get someone experienced with an injury record (eg Connor Wickham) who is happy/able to start 5-10 games and who provides good cover. But that’d come down to cost.

Reckon that any other Striker will be a young loan player. Taylor, Baldock and Browne will be rotated and someone experienced liked Eaves just wouldn’t go for that. He will want to start 40+ games a season.

Plus, we don’t need to blow the budget on another striker when the money is needed elsewhere across the team.

We might get someone experienced with an injury record (eg Connor Wickham) who is happy/able to start 5-10 games and who provides good cover. But that’d come down to cost.
YEah we won’t spend all our money on Tom Eaves

Tom Eaves would be a free transfer and his wages would be no higher than those of Baldock.

I'm not saying that we'd go for him, but if we did he'd not be out of our reach financially.

We can score, it’s keeping them out that’s been our problem. Sort out the defence and we’ll do well.

We can score, it’s keeping them out that’s been our problem. Sort out the defence and we’ll do well.
Agree. I would like two quick and strong centre backs to play either side of Moore in a back 3. It would allow us to play a high line as they would have the recovery pace to get back. I noticed Rotherham and Sheffield Wednesday did that when we played then at home. They pressed us so high and we couldn't get out at times.

I really think McNally could nail down the right sided CB position and Long can cover him. We need a strong left sided CB. We need a RWB and LWB too. Cadden would be an excellent addition if we can (finally) get him!

Last seasons downfall was we didn't have enough competition for places all over the pitch, now I don't mind Browne being an option to play upfront even though he is better from the left wing or behind a front 2 ,but with us more than likely playing 2 up front next season another proven striker Is needed.

I don't mind loans, they work well in January when we need to find someone quick to fill in a gap for an inured player, but in the summer transfer window we should only be bringing in loanees who we have no chance of signing permanently and will improve us instantly. Troy Parrot or Folarin Balogun are examples of the sort of player we should be trying to loan, or we can go and sign on a free transfer the likes of Tom Eaves, James Norwood and not have to worry about the player being recalled in January.

Last seasons downfall was we didn't have enough competition for places all over the pitch, now I don't mind Browne being an option to play upfront even though he is better from the left wing or behind a front 2 ,but with us more than likely playing 2 up front next season another proven striker Is needed.

I don't mind loans, they work well in January when we need to find someone quick to fill in a gap for an inured player, but in the summer transfer window we should only be bringing in loanees who we have no chance of signing permanently and will improve us instantly. Troy Parrot or Folarin Balogun are examples of the sort of player we should be trying to loan, or we can go and sign on a free transfer the likes of Tom Eaves, James Norwood and not have to worry about the player being recalled in January.
I hear you, but if you’re the manager what are you saying to convince the player to sign? Chances are that Taylor starts up to 90% of the time, and Baldock 50-60%. Both fitness depending. Browne will also start some up top. None of the players you have mentioned are joining on that basis imo.

Also, they’ll all need good wages. We have a good budget, but a limited one. Think we need to spend that money in other areas.

Tom Eaves would be a free transfer and his wages would be no higher than those of Baldock.

I'm not saying that we'd go for him, but if we did he'd not be out of our reach financially.
Are we #goingforit again this summer Scotchers?

I hear you, but if you’re the manager what are you saying to convince the player to sign? Chances are that Taylor starts up to 90% of the time, and Baldock 50-60%. Both fitness depending. Browne will also start some up top. None of the players you have mentioned are joining on that basis imo.

Also, they’ll all need good wages. We have a good budget, but a limited one. Think we need to spend that money in other areas.

Taylor and Baldock have to earn the right to play in the team like any other striker coming in, if any striker wont join because they're not a guaranteed starter we need to steer clear. We've just let go of Winnall who was on near 5k a week so wages won't be a problem and with an increased budget across the squad the other areas you mention will be sorted. A loanee normally comes with clauses that state the player has to have so many appearances don't forget.

I've just seen John Marquis has been released by Lincoln, could be worth a punt.

We need someone in the mould of Eric Sabin. Most young strikers aspire to be like him.

The owners are clearly building a club and laying the foundations in place. The £1.4m spent on the training ground and the stadium plans are proof of that. A slight increase in the budget is needed, but I'm personally happy not seeing us throw silly money around currently.
You're right, and it certainly won't be silly money. Our owners are looking at creating sustainable development which fits with our business model of unearthing hidden talent to develop and sell on as well as developing our own young talent.

But an increase in our playing budget of a further £0.5-1m will hopefully move us from also rans to real contenders. In the greater scheme of things that isn't a huge amount, but it still needs spending wisely.

You're right, and it certainly won't be silly money. Our owners are looking at creating sustainable development which fits with our business model of unearthing hidden talent to develop and sell on as well as developing our own young talent.

But an increase in our playing budget of a further £0.5-1m will hopefully move us from also rans to real contenders. In the greater scheme of things that isn't a huge amount, but it still needs spending wisely.
Can last year's top 6 budget really be classed as an 'also ran' amount?

I would hope we would be looking at the likes of Norwood or eaves every player in every position needs competition when baldock gets injured you need someone just as good to replace him when Taylor goes on a run of games without scoring you need someone to replace him if we are going to play two up top we need 4 good strikers we've currently got two
The other positions we need to fill are obvious we can all see that

Surely we are going to get a sizeable striker, as a plan B as much as anything else. I will be staggered if a chunk of our budget is not spent on another striker who gives us something a bit different - Stockton, Norwood, Eaves, Hirst, Simpson, Wilson etc. There’s plenty out there who are the fit physically as well as knowing where the net is.

I don’t think we can rely on Baldock and Taylor as Plan A with Baldock’s recent injury record. The third striker signing should reflect that.

We could more or less field a top 6 quality first XI today so the platform is there this summer in terms of numbers needed and finances available to invest heavily in key positions - a third forward is one of those.

We could more or less field a top 6 quality first XI today so the platform is there this summer in terms of numbers needed and finances available to invest heavily in key positions - a third forward is one of those
Absolutely. The only caveat is, 'if we don't sell Brannagan'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom