2. Mark Sykes
3. Ryan Williams
4. Gavin Whyte
5. Nathan Holland
6. Ciaron Brown (was Jordan Thorniley)
7. Herbie Kane
1. Sam Winnall - Waste of space
2. Mark Sykes - Will be missed
3. Ryan Williams - Will be missed, not a guaranteed starter, but brilliant to have in the squad.
4. Gavin Whyte - Will be missed
5. Nathan Holland - Mediocre
6. Ciaron Brown (was Jordan Thorniley) - Will be missed
7. Herbie Kane - Will be missed
8. Jamie Hanson - Waste of space

We have added Alex Gorrin as he was not registered for the second half of last season. So of the 7 remaining squad players we need to replace 5 who made a decent impact and then probably 2 others who were a waste of a wage. I'm on the fence re: Holland, he could turn out to be a brilliant player, but could also end up playing in the conference in 3 or 4 seasons.

I have faith in the recruitment team to fill those gaps with players of a similar or better quality.

Wasn't there also a gem latterly in the season, where he played a large part of a game due to injuries, which took everyone by surprise. Maybe, we under estimate him, especially if he completes the same training that everyone else is coping with out in Spain.
I appreciate Mous as much as the next man but why do we ‘underestimate’ him as long as he can get through a week of training, but signing a Championship winger ‘the biggest joke yet’ 🤔

Mousinho played about 3 (?) games last season, we were desperate for defenders in some games and he didn’t feature, I am sure we can get someone who can contribute a bit more than that.

Mousinho came out after that game at Shrewsbury and said that he was knackered and wouldn’t want to do that again in a hurry…

But yeah, we’re underestimating him! Let’s give him a place in the squad, over a championship level 24 year old [emoji849]

Last edited:
He played the whole game away at Shrewsbury in our 2-1 win
And from all accounts couldn't move afterwards. I don't mind us having Mous registered as a player/coach so he can play the odd game in the Pizza Trophy and be available in a defensive injury crisis, but the fact that him playing 90 minutes is so memorable demonstrates that he's finished as a league player for us.

And from all accounts couldn't move afterwards. I don't mind us having Mous registered as a player/coach so he can play the odd game in the Pizza Trophy and be available in a defensive injury crisis, but the fact that him playing 90 minutes is so memorable demonstrates that he's finished as a league player for us.
Not saying he should be playing or in the squad just stating a reply to question asked

The likes of Jordan Graham, Rob Hall and George Thorne have shown gambles don’t pay off,
Gavin Whyte would be a quality signing.
If you want young wingers go down the Liam Kerrigan, Darragh Burns,Callum Roberts or Glen Middleton route.
Don’t play heads or tails.

The likes of Jordan Graham, Rob Hall and George Thorne have shown gambles don’t pay off,
Gavin Whyte would be a quality signing.
If you want young wingers go down the Liam Kerrigan, Darragh Burns,Callum Roberts or Glen Middleton route.
Don’t play heads or tails.
Jordan Graham has gone to play in the Championship.
Bodin was a gamble that definitely came off.

Jones isn’t even in the door yet but honestly can’t see the damage it does us to get him.

Say we plucked someone out of non-league instead and commit to them for 3 years. Is that any lesser risk? If they turn out to be terrible to the point we can’t play them, they’re a wasted wage.

About time people accept we will not be a first choice destination for the ‘perfect player’. If we’re in for them, so is somebody else willing to pay them more to play in a stadium with 4 stands!!! So we have to look for opportunities in the market and that normally means an element of risk.

Last edited:
Jordan Graham has gone to play in the Championship.
Bodin was a gamble that definitely came off.
Didn’t last long with Graham or Thorne.
Graham was nowhere near what he was before.
Fingers crossed we’ll get a season out of Bodin, but you only have so many fingers.
No one knows how either Browne or Gorrin will carry a whole season.
8 games in 4 or 5 years is dreadful, we’ve had Hanson, Winnal, Mous getting a wage whatever it is and blocking squad numbers.
Get good youngsters, who want to prove themselves, Whether that’s from premiership u21, Ireland or non league.

Last edited:
Didn’t last long with Graham or Thorne.
Fingers crossed we’ll get a season out of Bodin, but you only have so many fingers.
No one knows how either Browne or Gorrin will carry a whole season.
8 games in 4 or 5 years is only 8 games more than I’ve played.
Jones played 9 games last season and the reason that he didn't play more was in part due to the fact that Robins preferred other players as wing backs .
Even if we have 2 players in each position there is space for a couple of left field options.
I agree that it is a risk, but having him.on trial for a while? Why not see?

Jones played 9 games last season and the reason that he didn't play more was in part due to the fact that Robins preferred other players as wing backs .
Even if we have 2 players in each position there is space for a couple of left field options.
9 games for a total of 92 minutes

Although that isn’t encouraging I would definitely have a punt on him if the deal is right for the club

Mous is clearly seen as a leader in the dressing room and a coach more than a player. The only first team games he should get near are PJT ones and that’s only if he doesn’t need to be registered in the squad, but there’s certainly value in having someone with his experience around if it’s not at the expense of adequate defensive cover. It certainly doesn’t have to be.

I think there are a few of you lot who need too give your head a wobble.

If we are yet again going down the route of signing injury prone players then we shouldn't expect a different result. I understand the notion that we wouldn't have got them if they were fully fit, but surely the fact that these players have had major injuries means that by definition, they aren't the players they once were and are not ever likely to be. What on earth makes us think our staff at OUFC are any more in the know than the likes of Coventry City etc when it comes to understanding sports science and the most likely outcome of 3 major injuries? Im absolutely baffled.

The most frustrating thing for me is that we continue to look beyond our requirements in our push for promotion. We seem seduced by getting in the best quality players we can, whatever their physical issues, whilst blissfully ignoring our need for aggression, strength, endurance and know how. Its almost as if we believe we are a team of clobbers who need a sprinkle of stardust when in reality we are an exceptional, technically proficient squad who are crying out for a few clobbers to achieve something special.

We don't need higher quality! Mcnally, Moore, Bran, Henry, Taylor, Browne, Baldock are all superb at this level, and could arguably play in the Championship. We need DIFFERENT qualities. The kind of qualities that will see you over the line against physical opposition. BALANCE.

Now, I realise I may be premature in my rant here, but it is worrying and terribly frustrating when Jones is the first signing we are talking about. Of course he is very good at football, no one is doubting that, but his return to being the player he once was has an element of roulette to it - as does the recovery of Browne, Gorin, Bodin, Baldock. Teams who achieve are able to keep their best players on the pitch for the most amount of time. Its very possible that the above players will have to be wrapped in cotton wool (if they don't suffer a set back of course), and I just think we are being naive in what this league demands in order to be successful.

Its very hard to lay back and trust the process when every bone in your body feels that the process is hopelessly flawed.

Its very hard to lay back and trust the process when every bone in your body feels that the process is hopelessly flawed.

You mention the need for wobbled heads, yet you end your rant with this? [emoji28] I think you need to action your own advice…

2019/2020: Play off final - In another season, without COVID, we would have gone up automatically.
2020/2021: Play offs again.
2021/2022: Missed out on the play offs, and it’s fair to suggest that if we didn’t have injuries at the crucial times of the season (Moore, Browne, Baldock), we’d have been in the play offs again.

I know we need to strengthen in certain areas, but what exactly leads you to believe that the recruitment process is ‘hopelessly flawed’?

Last edited:

Nadi- said . I’ll tell you now Bristol rovers have made one of the best signings this season in James Connolly, not someone who’s only played 8 games in 4 or 5 years. Hadn’t played a league game before they signed him on loan. Clubs let good youngsters go each season, it’s these youngsters we should be inviting on trial.Scottish clubs will be re selling young lads they’ve hoovered up from English, Irish clubs , back south pretty soon.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom