Away Match Day Thread +++ 21/04/2018 Doncaster v OUFC match day thread +++

I think you’re going to be disappointed, Bazzer
We don’t know though do we, under Pep he probably wanted to go but we kept hold of him and who knows what KR has said to him. If he goes he
Goes but if KR can convince him who knows.
Does His cotract End in the summer?

Where did six minutes injury time come from? A goal , couple of subs, and one of our players going down “injured” for a minute?

Anyway , superb away following compared to Luton for their promotion game at Carlisle.

Massive massive result.
Was in a class today so couldn’t watch or listen. Could only sneak peaks at the Twitter.
Don’t think I heard a word that was said.
Well played Oxford, well played

i mentioned earlier to some (OUFC) friends whilst watching the game on ifollow, Marquis looks a quality player but god does he moan (and moan and moan), maybe thats his competitiveness, (the ref wasn't great) and he still only 25, best years to come you would think and i believe his 2 year deal at Donny is up in June.
We’ve not had a proper moany-bastard centre-forward since Beano left [emoji16]

Hylton.

Marquis? He falls down to much

In both games he has caused us loads of problems. Seemed to be constantly mounted out on loan but settled at Donny and at this level looks a very decent player. A bit of Hylton about him in the way he plays the game.

His first touch is excellent and I thought he would be really good signing for us. Decent on the ground, decent in the air, got an edge to him and scores goals.

Wouldn't worry about the falling over, he win free kicks for most of them.

In a dead rubber of a game for Donny, they gave us absolutely nothing and we had to
dig in and grind out that win with a gutsy, battling performance that was big on
effort and commitment but lacked any quality going forward. Lego ran his
a**e off and again Dickie outstanding. I don’t know why he was booked.
The save from Eastwood late on was a show stopper - brilliant.

Delighted with the victory but not a game for the
faint hearted! It was unbearable at times. Listening to the Radio Oxford post match
Interviews on i Player - even Robbo himself said his heart skipped a beat.
Mousinho made my heart stop on two occasions !

I would think a dozen or so players at least will be out of the door in the coming weeks
as Robinson bids to overhaul his squad. It can’t happen quick enough for me but it
will prove to be an interesting summer.

In a dead rubber of a game for Donny, they gave us absolutely nothing and we had to
dig in and grind out that win with a gutsy, battling performance that was big on
effort and commitment but lacked any quality going forward. Lego ran his
a**e off and again Dickie outstanding. I don’t know why he was booked.
The save from Eastwood late on was a show stopper - brilliant.

Delighted with the victory but not a game for the
faint hearted! It was unbearable at times. Listening to the Radio Oxford post match
Interviews on i Player - even Robbo himself said his heart skipped a beat.
Mousinho made my heart stop on two occasions !

I would think a dozen or so players at least will be out of the door in the coming weeks
as Robinson bids to overhaul his squad. It can’t happen quick enough for me but it
will prove to be an interesting summer.
This close season should be in complete contrast to last year when nothing, but nothing happened. The first signing we made has not even kicked a ball for us. Says everything really. I think we can break the 5000 season ticket barrier once more.

Ledson under contract for next year, Rothwell not. We have four what are essentially 'holding' mifielders in Ruffels, Ledson, Rothwell and Branagan. (THough all can get forward on occasion) Suggests Rothwell will go and Ledson will stay. Robinson will decide one way or another. Glad it's not mine!!!!!

I wouldn't class Rothwell as a holding player at all - he isn't disciplined enough to do that. Stick him as the number 10 - he can play freely and influence from there
See this Is an issue. Henry is ineffective out wide but in the 10 he changes game. If we move Rothwell to the 10 we lose the goals of Henry.

Eastwood - 9. Incredible. At least 3 worldie saves.

Kane - 7. Ok defensively + looked to get forward.
Dickie - 8. Imperious, did especially well considering the early booking.
Mous - 6. Definite weak link. Shaky and didn't look convincing in midfield. Some good moments.
Ruffels - 7. Solid, can't think of any mistakes.

Brannagan - 6. Pretty anonymous, seems wasted where he is.
Mowatt - 5. Totally anonymous, slow and scared to take risks.
Ledson - 8. So energetic, always looking for a pass. Great assist and never stopped pressing.
Rothwell - 6. Didn't really stand out.

Thomas - 5. For someone who had been rested, looked as lethargic as usual.
Obika - 5. Obviously told to be a target man and win the headers, but can't jump.

Henry - 7. Cracking finish, looked lively.
Nelson - 7. Looked good again, especially aerially.
Hall - 6. Didn't have time to make an impact but looked quick.

KR - 8. Wasn't sure about his starting XI but he knows best. Brilliant subs, Henry to obviously win but Nelson was vital for defending the long balls they started to put in. Missed his post match comments but seen a bit about them, can anyone summarise?

Brannagan is one of those players in my view who may seem anonymous but is very effective. He does the things we don't always see such as holding the opposition attackers up and dictating tempo. I think he has made a huge difference since coming in. I'm sure I read he wants to play further forward, if so he is showing a huge amount of discipline and football is littered with those who have not been able to do that.

Rothwell is never a holding midfielder, and under Robinson, nor has Ledson really been as he has been doing well covering the wide areas of the pitch with Brannagan holding in front of the defence. That said, I imagine that if Ledson is here next season we will see him in a more defensive position as Robinson will get wingers in so we stop playing the diamond so much.

I don't see the issue with Rothwell and Henry competing to play the number 10 role. Rothwell is also good at carrying the ball from deeper positions as he can commit a player and open up the game in front of him. It all depends if he stays, which I certainly hope he does.

Has to be a big question mark about us being able to keep Lego and Eastwood .
I can see us getting interest from championship clubs for them.
Of course, we should turn down all offers and keep them, but money talks, and every player has a price ( feel free to comment on Obikas).

My gut feeling is that we’re more likely to see Ledson leave in the summer rather than Rothwell even though Ledson is contracted and Rothwell is not.

If Championship club Preston offer close to a million pounds for Ledson again then I can’t see us turning it down and Ledson will likely want the move. Although Rothwell is out of contract in the summer he has had a few injury issues, would a Championship club take a risk on him? KR might well be able to convince him to stay.

In fairness to Ledson despite all the uncertainty around the multiple bids from Preston in January he has shown 100% commitment on the field, compare to Marvin Johnson.

My gut feeling is that we’re more likely to see Ledson leave in the summer rather than Rothwell even though Ledson is contracted and Rothwell is not.

If Championship club Preston offer close to a million pounds for Ledson again then I can’t see us turning it down and Ledson will likely want the move. Although Rothwell is out of contract in the summer he has had a few injury issues, would a Championship club take a risk on him? KR might well be able to convince him to stay.

In fairness to Ledson despite all the uncertainty around the multiple bids from Preston in January he has shown 100% commitment on the field, compare to Marvin Johnson.

He has been phenomenal since January, a proper player in my view unlike the other one who is now playing for Middlesbrough U23s.

Back
Top Bottom