Away Match Day Thread 21/5/2021 Playoff L1 Blackpool FC V OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think that you can generate the same level of noise when wearing a mask, I’m not convinced that you understand how sound works…
No i said you will sound loud with no mask. Of course that's the case , why Blackpool sounded loud was no masks on.

No I wasn’t. but you fancy giving it large seem you’re a covid denier and can’t accept what must be done to try and curb this virus.
Soninwool say again rules were in place for the return of fans and one was SOCIAL DISTANCING and WEARING OF MASKS.
Dry yer eyes...

No i said you will sound loud with no mask. Of course that's the case , why Blackpool sounded loud was no masks on.

It's not fact you would sound louder without a mask. The point is you feel more comfortable not in a mask to sing etc. People shouldn't be worrying about our lack of atmosphere at the home leg as atleast we done our part to curb this pandemic. Blackpool, Sunderland and Barnsley on the other hand are no better then a person refusing to wear one in a shop for no valid reason!

It's not fact you would sound louder without a mask. The point is you feel more comfortable not in a mask to sing etc. People shouldn't be worrying about our lack of atmosphere at the home leg as atleast we done our part to curb this pandemic. Blackpool, Sunderland and Barnsley on the other hand are no better then a person refusing to wear one in a shop for no valid reason!
Yes i agree . Tbh . Even worse they was all in groups. With no respect.

Go on then, explain :)
Sound vibrations travel in a wave pattern. These sound waves move by vibrating objects and these objects vibrate other surrounding objects, carrying the sound along through air and space. Sound waves need space and air to travel in. Without that, the energy of the sound is quickly lost and absorbed by the closest object; in this scenario, it’s the mask. A mask will almost immediately prevent the waves from travelling, and thus, inhibit the ability to make the same amount of noise that you would be able to make, while not wearing a mask. That’s why your speech sounds muffled while wearing a mask. It’s the same principle as shouting into a pillow. Capiche?

Last edited:
Sound vibrations travel in a wave pattern. These sound waves move by vibrating objects and these objects vibrate other surrounding objects, carrying the sound along through air and space. Sound waves need space and air to travel in. Without that, the energy of the sound is quickly lost and absorbed by the closest object; in this scenario, it’s the mask. A mask will almost immediately prevent the waves from travelling, and thus, inhibit the ability to make the same amount of noise that you would be able to make, while not wearing a mask. That’s why your speech sounds muffled while wearing a mask. It’s the same principle as shouting into a pillow. Capiche?
Of course sound does travel through solids as well, you don't need air for transmission of sound. This is why you could hear the astronauts on the moon hammer in the flag, and they can communicate by touching their helmets together (stop sniggering at the back).

Not that this has any relevance to your point, of course face masks impact song volume, although I'd argue about how much difference it would make...

Of course sound does travel through solids as well, you don't need air for transmission of sound. This is why you could hear the astronauts on the moon hammer in the flag, and they can communicate by touching their helmets together (stop sniggering at the back).

Not that this has any relevance to your point, of course face masks impact song volume, although I'd argue about how much difference it would make...
Of course sound travels through objects, but sound travels much farther, without immediately having to travel through an object, such as face mask. it all depends on exactly what object the sound is hitting and how tightly packed the molecules are but regardless of that, solids will always dampen sound. I would say that shouting through a face mask would make a difference, but it doesn’t really matter if you’re not shouting at all - as many weren’t on Tuesday night.

Last edited:

When you fart sitting on a chair the sound doesn't travel, lift of the seat a little bit and it's much louder and travels further. 😜 solids damper the sound.

Of course sound travels through objects, but sound travels much farther, without immediately having to travel through an object, such as face mask. it all depends on exactly what object the sound is hitting and how tightly packed the molecules are. I would say that shouting through a face mask would make a difference, but it doesn’t really matter if you’re not shouting at all - as many weren’t on Tuesday night.
I think the difference made by a face mask would be more to do with how someone actually sings rather than the fact there is a thin layer of cloth in the way. The fact there is a mask would surely change the way the mouth and lips form sounds. I've found a few links on the subject, for example...

...and a few talk about certain frequencies being blocked more than others, hence muffling. Not too much talking about sound across the board being stopped.

Interesting few minutes reading anyway...

When you fart sitting on a chair the sound doesn't travel, lift of the seat a little bit and it's much louder and travels further. 😜 solids damper the sound.
Depends on the fart, sometimes you can get quite a ripple as it travels along a sofa 😂

In the study described here, some types of mask actually amplified parts of the sound. Not the kind your auntie makes for you, though.

Depends on the fart, sometimes you can get quite a ripple as it travels along a sofa 😂

That is the material of the object having an impact of the outputed sound, exactly the same wearing a mask adapts the sound of our voice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom