Away Match Day Thread 21/8/21 L1: Bolton Wanderers v OUFC

Status
Not open for further replies.
No.

We have been absolutely hammered with injuries this season and an early change could have left us unable to field a full team come the end.

Bolton dominated the last 10 minutes of the first half and the 10 minutes after they scored the second, but otherwise it sounded like we were by far the stronger side.

We should certainly have taken a point, and would have got that and more if it wasn't for the missed chances. But not sure any substitutions would have significantly changed things.
We’re hammered with injuries every season and so are many other teams/clubs.

View from bolton https://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27278&start=80

A stunning game. Both teams went to win it. Either could have done. It was at times end to end at a pace usually reserved for the premier league.

Our fight and desire were outstanding and for me the reason we sit here with a win and Oxford don’t. It was the thing that separated the two sides. The only thing.

And Oxford were sensationally good today at times. They can count themselves unlucky as they blazed over in injury time. But as Evatt said you make your own luck.

Probably because Agyei was rubbish on Tuesday and because we were creating chances. Agyei isn't the f*****g messiah and he's yet to put in a good performance this season.
Agyei was not rubbish on tuesday he might not be the messiah but he is more effective when hes given the ball than some of our other players

This is probably not that important, but we decided that Sykes looks like Spud from Trainspotting.

Nice stadium, by the way. Easy to get into, and more importantly out of.

Go well.

Last edited:
I didn’t see yesterday’s game but reading through this thread 1 thing a few posters have said is that Jack is not at the level he was last season. I wondering if his mind is elsewhere. Has the rumoured interest from Villa got to him?

We win some we lose some today just wasn’t our day in front of goal we move on hopefully get 3 points next Saturday after we progress in the league cup beating QPR
Precisely,
It's football, one day we look like we're going to have a good season, next day everything changes.... thats how it goes in most sports.
Looking forward to the next game

I didn’t see yesterday’s game but reading through this thread 1 thing a few posters have said is that Jack is not at the level he was last season. I wondering if his mind is elsewhere. Has the rumoured interest from Villa got to him?
Not sure what yourself or others are basing that on.

No one can honestly blame Gavin Whyte's miss on his starting position. He actually came from an inside right position into the middle of the goal, and would have been in exactly the same place had he played in his preferred position or just off the front two as he did today.

"...let’s not forget he (Whyte) was played out of position again." That's trying to put the blame on the manager and is ridiculous.

Yes, I respond to what some post and I'm sure it winds some up. But the constant negativity is draining and there has to be some counter balance!
Were you there, Scotchers?

Thought Stevens was a bit slow to get his feet moving for their first goal and poor defending letting their man get in front to win the header. But it was Gavin Whyte who cost us a point missing that sitter at the end, professionals shouldn't be missing chances like that.

Thought Stevens was a bit slow to get his feet moving for their first goal and poor defending letting their man get in front to win the header. But it was Gavin Whyte who cost us a point missing that sitter at the end, professionals shouldn't be missing chances like that.
Send him back to Cardiff. Get a good solid lad in to replace him.

I’ve had some time to digest the game now. I’ve been having disc problems with my back all year - and my back REALLY wasn’t happy with me after 9 hours in the car yesterday. The M6 really is torturous isn’t it!

I thought 1-1 was fair at half time and it was a cracking game. We opened them up for fun on the counter - but we looked so vulnerable ourselves with seemingly no defensive options available to try to stop it. Then the first 20-ish minutes of the second half we were superb. I’ve read lots about on the Bolton side about how the stadium was ‘electric’ yesterday. It may have been for the last 15 minutes or so - but we were SO good in that first 20 minutes that we utterly silenced their crowd. But our decision making in and around the penalty area is dreadful. There is a footballer in Mark Sykes. He’s energetic, makes great runs and has good feet. However his composure and decision making in key areas is awful - and doesn’t seem to get better. The sight of him charging towards the six yard box, then falling over his own feet as he tried to make a decision about what to do next haunts me.

And of course we were then punished by switching off for the corner. It happens. Had Whyte found some composure at the end we’d have still left with a deserved point. (Incidentally - between the shanked pass/cross when through on goal at Cambridge and that awful miss yesterday - I’m starting to see why Gavin is back with us. Lovely player to watch and I’m thrilled we have him, but those errors are contributing to vital points dropped).

If Uncle Erick is telling KR to sign some players - can we please go and sign another full back. Like ASAP? If Long is going to be another few weeks I’d be tempted to get a proper RB in - to compete with Long when fit, and use Sam as LB cover. Forde has a lot of qualities and again he didn’t have a ‘bad’ game necessarily - but I’m already bored of having our right full back position look vulnerable and be exploited game after game (as it has in every game since Sam went off against Burton at the end of last season).

Ending on a positive - I thought Winnall was super yesterday. His best game in an Oxford shirt IMO. Having both Taylor and Whyte around him to do his running meant he could concentrate on battling defenders (he won a few more headers too) and he had the freedom to drop back or drift wide to pick up the ball (which he also used with real intelligence). It was enough to convince me I’m happy with the forwards we have until January and would rather we spend any funds we might have in our pursuit of someone like Harrison (groan, or Grigg 🤣) and spend them on a proper midfield enforcer to compete with Gorrin (and the aforementioned additional full back)

Last edited:
Its not just about defence.
They play a very open game and try and score more than the opposition.
I bet they finish in the top half
It is about the defense when the only reason we lost was through our own poor finishing and final ball.

It doesn't matter how open they play, we were the far better side and should have put them to bed.

Yes they'll score goals and might end up finishing high up once they sort their defense out, but when they give you over half a dozen easy chances and constantly have huge gaps in defence it's disappointing were lacking that ruthless cutting edge.

We're playing good football and it's early days so nothing to worry about but putting games like that to bed is the difference between challenging for the top 2 or going for the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom