Away Match Day Thread +++ 22/02/20 Ipswich Town v OUFC+++

Great win yesterday.
the 1st half we struggled and didn’t play that well but 2nd half we were brilliant. Dug in, battled, ball into the corner to see the game out, etc. Great for the fans to see the passion at the end. All of the players looked genuinely thrilled with the win. Really think we can get 6 points in the next two games and creep back into the playoffs again.

On a different subject, how brilliant was it to travel to NUFC and Ipswich which both have grounds in the town centre (virtually). Loads of pubs, eating places, parking was easy, etc. So many clubs have out the town stadiums now and the experience of going to those places is so different. These clubs probably don’t realise how good they have it. Although I love the club, The match day experience is just poor-especially since the priory has gone.

Ipswich’s ground reminded me of Pompey’s. Got to be honest though Ipswich is a right sh*t hole. We turned right coming out of Portman Road and ended up on a road parallel with the London Road and it was like being somewhere in the third world, bit like the immediate area around Kenilworth Road, Luton. The whole area around the ground just looked deprived and dated, makes you appreciate even more what a lovely part of the country Oxfordshire is.

Paul Lambert is a comedian - no wonder the locals aren't happy as they'd like a proper manager rather a joker. I don't know why clubs employ him as the same thing happens again and again. He sets up his teams to not close, makes up fantasy moans and lacks the emotional intelligence to get around it. A relationship made for each other

Absolutely, and he was onto a loser from the start, as he used to manage the "Budgies," Norwich City.

Fantastic game after a poor first half in which Keane was excellent for them. Playing between the lines he gave our 2 centres halves a huge problem - not knowing whether to step up or hold the line. They also closed us down quickly - and as we've seen this season, this is the way to play against us. Gorrin got into the game in the second half and I thought we were the better side. It was stretched, nervy and full of drama. Taylor was magnificent - his best game for the U's.

I do think we'll have to play much better on Tuesday to get the win. Accy will be bruised after the last minute goal they conceded and will be out to prove they can live with the top teams.

Fantastic game after a poor first half in which Keane was excellent for them. Playing between the lines he gave our 2 centres halves a huge problem - not knowing whether to step up or hold the line. They also closed us down quickly - and as we've seen this season, this is the way to play against us. Gorrin got into the game in the second half and I thought we were the better side. It was stretched, nervy and full of drama. Taylor was magnificent - his best game for the U's.

I do think we'll have to play much better on Tuesday to get the win. Accy will be bruised after the last minute goal they conceded and will be out to prove they can live with the top teams.
The idea of ‘playing well’ may not be as meaningful as you think. We all felt Wimbledon played terribly but they’d just drawn with Rotherham and Ipswich- maybe we made them look bad. Some say we didn’t play that well at Ipswich but they are a good team, we aren’t going to have the freedom to ‘play well’ against them.

The idea of ‘playing well’ may not be as meaningful as you think. We all felt Wimbledon played terribly but they’d just drawn with Rotherham and Ipswich- maybe we made them look bad. Some say we didn’t play that well at Ipswich but they are a good team, we aren’t going to have the freedom to ‘play well’ against them.
There's an element of that. But if you look at the team's performance in the first half, we could barely string two accurate passes together. That's where we're going to have to improve on Tuesday.

If @Paul Cannell published a blog, I think it might be like this one.

I love that. What a brilliant read! Maybe he’s right about the mortar boards.

Enjoyed that. @Paul Cannell producing a 'blog'??? Can't see that happening. A scroll, maybe, read out by a crier.

Very good read, and I read it in the voice of @Paul Cannell

However Mr Cannell would never do anything so vulgar as a blog, he's more of a manuscript man.

There's an element of that. But if you look at the team's performance in the first half, we could barely string two accurate passes together. That's where we're going to have to improve on Tuesday.
I think you're right, we weren't as fluent with the ball as we have been, and it's perhaps no coincidence that the end time we did move the ball quickly was when we scored. Robinson said that everyone would get a 7.5 on that performance, and I don't think he was too wrong. No one had a bad game, but few really stood out.

But to not play great, and still hold out for, what ended up being, a fairly comfortable win away at Ipswich is the sign of a good side. Accrington have been playing well, and I don't think we'll see a repeat of Wimbledon. But we should take confidence from the last couple of games knowing that patience and hardworking can be just as successful as an all out attack.

Matt Taylor must be exhausted at present. I’m willing to wash his back while he has a nice, long soak in the bath. If it helps the team then how can I say no?

Your fixation with Mr Taylor is becoming obsessive mr birdio, First it’s “chit chat!” ?
Next it’s bath time and a stiff rub down.
What’s next? Colonic irrigation?
Get a grip man!???

Back
Top Bottom