Home Match Day Thread 26/02/2022 L1: OUFC v Cambridge United

So even as a defensive-minded pragmatist, I'm just going to throw my hands up and go with the flow for the rest of the season.

Because I've been watching for 30 years, and this is the most attack-minded Oxford team I've ever seen.
Denis Smith's 95/96 team was brilliant going forwards, but also had a really solid defensive base.
Appleton's 2015/16 team was equally excellent up front but had a rock-solid back four of quality defenders, and other players further forwards who were defensively responsible.

Basically we played with two defenders today. You can call Ryan Williams a right back if you like - but he still played as a right winger. Utterly brilliant going forwards - involved in everything - and then hopelessly out-of-position for their second goal! There wasn't much going on on the other side of the pitch, but Seddon is the same way.

And there's no other way they can play, with the personnel we've got, so it's just time to ride the roller-coaster until the season's end! You score two, we'll score more, and just keep that going to the promised land!!

Always enjoy reading your posts but i have a couple of questions...

What took you so long ?

How have you managed to get through games up to now without becoming a nervous wreck ?

Joking aside i know exactly what you mean, fwiw i think that KR is/was* using the Liverpool
title winning side of 2019/20 as a template, it was basically a 2-3-2-3 with 2 wing backs, someone
( sorry i cant remember who ) mentioned that QPR play with a back 4 but that one of the full backs
was a Wing back which basically made it 3 at the back, a bit like how we play when Long is at RB and
Seddon as LWB.

* Will be interesting to see if KR decides to stick with 2 up front which it looks like he probably will
meaning we are going to see less of the 4-3-3 formation and more of 3-5-2 and probably something
that resembles a 2-3-3-2 rather than the diamond which imo is very risky.

Anyway, welcome to the hands in the air club, like you said its going to be a roller coaster.

Very well summed up. You’re right, individually they weren’t great, except maybe Hoolihan, Smith and the ginger haired lad, but collectively they knew their jobs. Closed down the space in midfield, especially in the first half, and had a bit about them on the counter. To me, it looked like they ran out of steam and just got a bit ragged around the time we got our third. Having now seen them I’ll have a bit of hope though when they’re playing our promotion/play off rivals and that point on the opening day, that looked a bit underwhelming, doesn’t look such a bad point after all.

I'd add Brophy (their no.7) as well as he caused Ryan Williams plenty of problems, particularly in the 1st half.

THIS ONE IS FOR U’s !

FMirjt8XIAYePF-

Sam "Mad Eyes" Baldock!*

*Just look at those eyes.

.... the way Sykes has been playing I'd like to see him secured for the future (in spite of his idiot agent), he's an integral part of this exciting Oxford United team/ squad

Goes without saying

Always enjoy reading your posts but i have a couple of questions...

What took you so long ?

How have you managed to get through games up to now without becoming a nervous wreck ?

Joking aside i know exactly what you mean, fwiw i think that KR is/was* using the Liverpool
title winning side of 2019/20 as a template, it was basically a 2-3-2-3 with 2 wing backs, someone
( sorry i cant remember who ) mentioned that QPR play with a back 4 but that one of the full backs
was a Wing back which basically made it 3 at the back, a bit like how we play when Long is at RB and
Seddon as LWB.

* Will be interesting to see if KR decides to stick with 2 up front which it looks like he probably will
meaning we are going to see less of the 4-3-3 formation and more of 3-5-2 and probably something
that resembles a 2-3-3-2 rather than the diamond which imo is very risky.

Anyway, welcome to the hands in the air club, like you said its going to be a roller coaster.

Ha ha......

So I think up until yesterday, I was worrying about the lack of defensive cover, the defensive mistakes, the goals conceded etc. and was becoming a nervous wreck.

But now I'm determined I'm just going to roll with it. Accept the defensive howlers and missteps (which are an inevitable consequence of having 8 attacking and 2 defensive outfield players on the pitch), grab the popcorn and enjoy another 90 minutes of gung-ho all-out attack.

It's not how I would play, but with this squad, it's probably the only option.

But I reserve the right to start ranting again in the summer when KR refuses to sign any new defenders and/or defensive midfielders again!

But I reserve the right to start ranting again in the summer when KR refuses to sign any new defenders and/or defensive midfielders again!

Ranting right granted.

Yes and if we have Sam and his brother James as doctor, then we must be well positioned to get George the dreamboat back.
We’ll be a couple of years away from getting George back I’m afraid. He signed a new contract last year when Sheffield Utd were in the Prem. Even if we get to the Championship I suspect George sadly will be too pricey for us.
Two to three seasons on though who knows.🤞

Now that we have had a few hours to take in everything that happened yesterday, we can appreciate what a special day it was for Oxford United football club, in the way that they organised it to give Joey the very best tribute day. The whole day had a special atmosphere about it, from having a first pint in the William Morris and then at the Blackbird, there was a mood of great anticipation in the air and as soon as we entered the stadium,we knew today was going to be something special, I am a pensioner and was sitting by myself -because my son left it too late to get a ticket near me - in the North Stand family area, but there were people to my right, to my left and in front of me, who all had family with them,but they all made the effort to talk to me throughout the game and at the end of the match,the gentleman to my right shook my hand and ‘said thanks for the banter‘,to all of them I say ‘thank you’. This very optimistic mood continued into the game, even when we went behind, both times the feeling was we will be alright, no way are we going to lose, we are going to win this for Joey. When those three goals went in during the second half, the release of emotion and noise was amazing and take a bow East Stand, Joey would have been proud of you today and to hear Left Side / Right Side certainly brought back happy memories of the Manor What can you say about these players, they never give up, which was emphasised by Cameron Branagan, when, after we had equalised, instead of celebrating, he collected the ball from the back of the net and put it on the centre circle, these players are not happy with a draw, they want to win. That mindset must be down to in no small part a certain Mr Karl Robinson. What a week it has
been for him, apart from him having to deal with the day to day job of trying to get three points from the next game and then dealing with the emotions and organising the Joey tribute,I take my hat off and say “Karl, you managed the day impeccably and I don’t think there was a dry eye in stadium when you walked around the pitch with Joey’s daughters“. What made the day extra special was that we had a damm good game of football to enjoy as well. It takes two teams to do that, so credit to Cambridge- apart from a certain Mr Smith- and it’s supporters who helped make our day so special. We all have lasting memories of football events, but my seventy seven year old brain is getting a little bit foggy now, but I still have United memories like they were yesterday, such as the Milk Cup victory and I will always remember as teenagers, running onto the Manor pitch after the FA Cup victory over Blackburn Rovers in 1964 and big Ron Atkinson being carried on shoulders in front of the Beech Road stand, but I think yesterday is right up there on my memories list and I will never forget it.We are so lucky in Oxford because we have a football club and supporters who care and to sum up I would like to think that the real winner yesterday was - football. RIP Joey.

Was it related to the Thursday stabbing incident nearby perhaps?
whole area around the breeze block and BBleys was under a TVP Section 60 ( giving special, extra powers to stop and search any one that any officer thinks could be violent), it was initially in place until 1pm yesterday .... maybe it was extended ( which once a Section 60 is in place can be done easily) by a few hours?

whole area around the breeze block and BBleys was under a TVP Section 60 ( giving special, extra powers to stop and search any one that any officer thinks could be violent), it was initially in place until 1pm yesterday .... maybe it was extended ( which once a Section 60 is in place can be done easily) by a few hours?

Yes possibly so. I was out of the country this week and only returned close to the game so don’t know a lot about the incident. From the snatches I’ve read, it sounds horrific.

First game in 2 years for me for health/COVID reasons, but I couldn't miss this one, and so glad I didn't. Was good to see my fellow season ticket holders too. Great day and a fitting tribute to the best player we've ever had. Well done all concerned. RIP Joey

Anyone else think Browne could play up front if we keep going with two forwards? I love Baldock and Taylor, but if we need a more counter attacking team, then I could see a 5-2-1-2 formation working. Browne is much better in the air than I remember too.

Stevens

Williams/Sykes
McNally
Moore
Brown/Long
Seddon

Kane
Brannagan

Whyte

Taylor/Baldock
Browne

I'd expect Long to move back to RB when Moore returns, so I'd look to start Williams ahead of Seddon at LB or LWB.
I would hope that we keep playing three at the back, with Long as one of the centre backs - he’s looked absolutely immense there, whereas he’s only been ok at right back this season.

Three at the back has brought the best out of Long, Moore and McNally and tightened up our defence. I don’t think it was a coincidence that we conceded two when we went back to a flat back four.

I agree about Williams though, I think he can play LWB/RWB in a back five, as well as in the hole behind the strikers if need be (but we have loads of players who can play there!)

Anyone else think Browne could play up front if we keep going with two forwards? I love Baldock and Taylor, but if we need a more counter attacking team, then I could see a 5-2-1-2 formation working. Browne is much better in the air than I remember too.

Stevens

Williams/Sykes
McNally
Moore
Brown/Long
Seddon

Kane
Brannagan

Whyte

Taylor/Baldock
Browne
Yes Browne looked really good in the air.
He could probably play as the number 10 in Whyte's position or one of the front 2.

Back
Top Bottom