Home Match Day Thread +++ 27/04/2019 OUFC v Doncaster Rovers Match Day Thread +++

While I agree with that (diving, or 'feeling contact and going down'! is cheating) while the current refs and linos we get seem to have the greatest difficulty in applying even the simplest rules correctly (as per the two 'goals' yesterday) or consistently, I have little faith in them being able to distinguish between diving, being fouled, tripping, being tripped etc in the penalty area.
While we are on about how the laws are applied - does anyone else think that 'shielding the ball out for a goal kick' has now got ridiculous? Yesterday, one of their players was doing this, standing in the way and then barging our player over when he tried to go around him to go for the ball. (Not a criticism of the Donny defender really as all defenders seem to do similar). It seems to me that if you did the same thing anywhere else on the pitch - obstruction and then barging a player over - it would be two fouls!
good point re 'shielding' @ZeroTheHero ..... though again, application and interpretation of the laws of the game are subjectively applied (or not) dependent on who is designated as matchday referee.

FA & EFL should take active steps to address the ultra low standard of officiating imposed in recent seasons, at all levels , especially League 1 and League 2, some sort of consistency of match officiating, application of rules, regs & laws, from match to match*,would be a welcome start point IMO

* Easty red card, Norwich keeper yellow card, for more or less the same offence (handling outside pen area) for example

good point re 'shielding' @ZeroTheHero ..... though again, application and interpretation of the laws of the game are subjectively applied (or not) dependent on who is designated as matchday referee.
But (oddly enough) this does seem to be one area that has become 'accepted' as part of the game by officials - I can't recall ever seeing such a thing punished unless the defender actually shoves the attacker into the advertising hoardings, and even then it's usually just a telling off!

The boss is away visiting MiL. I have been pigging out on TV football.

I have to say, (IMHO of course) that the Yellows performance yesterday equalled most and excelled some of the Prem and champ sides on show.

Oh...and thank you to the foxes from my B team...?

good point re 'shielding' @ZeroTheHero ..... though again, application and interpretation of
But (oddly enough) this does seem to be one area that has become 'accepted' as part of the game by officials - I can't recall ever seeing such a thing punished unless the defender actually shoves the attacker into the advertising hoardings, and even then it's usually just a telling off!
If you are not playing the ball it should be obstruction, end of. Letting big lumps just shield the ball out for 10 yards or so is in no way what people want to see. Its called football and if you are not trying to play the ball you should be punished. In years gone by a defender would have to knock it out for a throw or play his way out of trouble. A rule change is needed.

Sinclait was onside and debatable for a handball from Henry

That’s what I thought watching the game, but wondered if anyone had seen footage, especially the Henry goal as it was fairly clear that Sinclair was on side.

That’s what I thought watching the game, but wondered if anyone had seen footage, especially the Henry goal as it was fairly clear that Sinclair was on side.
It's also on YouTube now. You can see Sinclair was onside when the ball was hit but at the speed of the game I can see why the lino got it wrong. The "handball" looks harder to call but I didn't think it was yesterday.

Yes how stupid is that
There was no need for the booing but, equally, they haven’t earned a round of applause either - yet. Hopefully that’ll come next season as they do a lap of honour during our promotion celebrations

Ps. They can also have a round of applause when they unveil the new stadium plans this summer..

Last edited:
The board of directors have been collectively responsible for, what is it now, 5 WUPs? They also are responsible for the late payment to staff. What were they expecting, a jubilant round of applause?!

There were a few boos but l'd hope business people as successful as they all supposedly are will have thick enough skin to not be phased by a few boos from some football fans. To suggest that they might now be put off investing their money into the club is f*****g hilarious.

Back
Top Bottom