Home Match Day Thread 30/10/2021 L1: OUFC v Morecambe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, perhaps that was more in the first half. I think Long gradually got to grips with them, and they weren't as dominant on that side in the second half.
This is what is good about Longy.
If he is up against a good opponent and is initially struggling, he obviously thinks about it and works out how to grips with it and after a while he is then the one in control.
Many other full backs just go to pieces and get run ragged.

The final figure for home fans was 8,538.
A splendid bit of dot counting and forecasting there, Mr B
Cheers, yes I was pretty pleased with that forecast myself, only 38 out!

The spreadsheet/algorithms work quite well once there's a decent amount of data to analyse and compare, and the buying patterns are remarkably consistent really. I won't do it for every game, as it is still fairly time consuming, but I'll do it for the bigger and more interesting games, if people are interested in me doing it?

If he is up against a good opponent and is initially struggling, he obviously thinks about it and works out how to grips with it and after a while he is then the one in control.
That’s a really good point actually. You very rarely, if ever, see Sam Long get run ragged both halves. You sometimes see him in trouble first half, but he always seems to come back stronger in the second. I always thought that’s just his natural determination, but maybe he thinks about it and figures them out? Either way, a good trait to have in a fullback

Cheers, yes I was pretty pleased with that forecast myself, only 38 out!

The spreadsheet/algorithms work quite well once there's a decent amount of data to analyse and compare, and the buying patterns are remarkably consistent really. I won't do it for every game, as it is still fairly time consuming, but I'll do it for the bigger and more interesting games, if people are interested in me doing it?

Needs doing for every game. :)

Then pass it on to the marketing folk.......... 🤷‍♀️

It would be interesting to know if the club is building any sort of customer list for such purposes.

I think Sam Long is a bit more of an "old school" full-back in that he is defensively solid and picks and chooses his moments to get forward. He can look dangerous going forward (amazing goal at Plymouth away) but we seem more defensively solid with him at the back.

A lot of modern full-backs are converted wingers and defending either isn't their primary aim or doesn't come naturally to them. Seddon was excellent yesterday but even he does seem like one of those more modern full-backs. Ruffels was a bit the same, I was a fan of his but the best wingers in l1 would run rings around him.

How has that drained positivity?! Morecambe were poor for me, I’ve seen way better sides this season. I’m happy we won and I’ve said we were the better team and deserved to win - I’m being more positive than someone who thinks that Oxford United can’t play any better than that! Karl Robinson himself said we didn’t play that great but what’s important is we got the win when not at our best - has he drained you as well? Jesus wept.

That was a good ball to Seddon from Eastwood but his first half kicking was poor.

Taylor worked hard but I thought his all round play wasn’t great - yes he worked hard, I never said he was lazy or didn’t try! And do you seriously think the ovation was specifically for his all round play, or the fact that he scored one and assisted to - I also scored him a 7.5/10 which is excellent!
You start your first post with ‘as per usual I don’t agree with some of what’s been said on here’ and then take offence when challenged about your opinions.
Like you don’t expect to be challenged, after starting with that sentence…
Morecambe were better going forward than at the back and I completely see how they have scored and conceded so many goals; well drilled, creative and full of endeavour, they certainly weren’t poor.

That’s a really good point actually. You very rarely, if ever, see Sam Long get run ragged both halves. You sometimes see him in trouble first half, but he always seems to come back stronger in the second. I always thought that’s just his natural determination, but maybe he thinks about it and figures them out? Either way, a good trait to have in a fullback
He seemed to get up to speed a bit in the second half I thought.

You start your first post with ‘as per usual I don’t agree with some of what’s been said on here’ and then take offence when challenged about your opinions.
Like you don’t expect to be challenged, after starting with that sentence…
Morecambe were better going forward than at the back and I completely see how they have scored and conceded so many goals; well drilled, creative and full of endeavour, they certainly weren’t poor.
I don’t mind being challenged on my views, just being told I’ve ‘drained all positivity’ out of someone like some sort of happiness vampire!

You think that performance by them was well drilled and creative? I’d be very disappointed if we played like that.

A huge number of the extras in yesterday were children, so the midweek games won't have the same impact.

Promotions are great, but if they become too frequent then they become less effective.
Too many cheap ticket promotions will also upset season ticket holders.

Haven't they got a 6 game mini season ticket already?
I don’t know not heard but may have missed it, but having two promotions running together can’t see the reason, whereas when one finished the other coupe be operational soon after.

As a ST holder, I buy one because it guarantees me a seat where I want to sit and first dibs on tickets for other games, not *just* because it saves me money. You are right in that if the total for a ST was higher than the total cost of home games bought singly over the course of the season I'd be a bit miffed, but unless that happens I say 'the more the merrier'! Use offers to encourage families, waverers, kids, students - every game is better with a bigger support and the more youngsters who get the habit, the more secure the future of the club.

As a ST holder, I buy one because it guarantees me a seat where I want to sit and first dibs on tickets for other games, not *just* because it saves me money. You are right in that if the total for a ST was higher than the total cost of home games bought singly over the course of the season I'd be a bit miffed, but unless that happens I say 'the more the merrier'! Use offers to encourage families, waverers, kids, students - every game is better with a bigger support and the more youngsters who get the habit, the more secure the future of the club.
You would hope so and only think about 2 teams OUFC and England

I don’t know not heard but may have missed it, but having two promotions running together can’t see the reason, whereas when one finished the other coupe be operational soon after.

I don’t mind being challenged on my views, just being told I’ve ‘drained all positivity’ out of someone like some sort of happiness vampire!

You think that performance by them was well drilled and creative? I’d be very disappointed if we played like that.
Going forward they were creative, they exploited Seddon’s forays forward and got behind Long more than once; they knew where they could hurt us, mostly on the break, and but for some wayward finishing could have scored more. At the back it’s obvious how they've shipped so many already this season, we simply wanted the ball more than them and created and scored more than them.

There were not many " upset " season ticket holders around me in the East Stand. Most seemed delighted to see the North Stand filling up so quickly. I think most fans are happy to pay up front and what happens subsequently is not a problem. Just get bottoms on seats and however cheap the Club ticket offers might be.....so be it. Everyone on this Forum likes to see gates North of 8/9000. Let's see more of them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom