Away Match Day Thread +++ 9/3/19 Gillingham v OUFC Matchday Thread +++

Robinson made two mistakes that many of us wouldn’t have; 1) not starting Whyte 2) not substituting Graham when he started to get leggy e.g. with 20mins to go etc.

I’d have probably rested Henry yesterday too as he’s not been at his best lately. Would have brought in Brannagan instead or gone two up top.

Last edited:
Ps....when I talk about a team having a ‘clear framework’, I am thinking of Wilder (before he got bored) and Ian Atkins. They both worked with limited players (arguably Robinson has more talent at his disposal) but they produced really well organised (if slightly dull) teams where every player knew what he was supposed to be doing. Appleton had the best squad we have had for 20 years, but again, you could see that each player knew his role. I don’t get that sense (at all) with this team that Robinson has produced.
Good players, poor coach.

Should have got a point. Not slagging either team off too much as wind made it very difficult. Graham disappointed with lack of final product. Kashi stood out for me, he’s a good passer of the ball.

Eaves very impressive. A poundland Zlatan. Probably the best L1 forward I’ve seen this season. Gills game but basic, thought their centre backs played well.

Brannagan, Mackie and Whyte to start on Tuesday please.

Most important game of season.

Best forward in League one? He’s good for 20mins, but then tends to fade in the two games against us.

I think Kieffer Moore is probably better than him, and Collins at Luton.

So disappointing to concede late on. My Gills very sensible mate reckons Eaves is a big lump who cannot head a ball so possibly not the best but definitely an awkward nuisance. Big 2 games coming up.

Where is Carruthers? I understand the restriction on the numbers of loaned players available to play during any game, but his situation doesn’t seem to progress. He was touted as a marquee loan signing by KR but has made minimal contribution through this dire season. If we manage to retain our place in League One, I hope that there will be a serious review of the loan strategy, which Graham apart, has been a joke.

Ps....when I talk about a team having a ‘clear framework’, I am thinking of Wilder (before he got bored) and Ian Atkins. They both worked with limited players (arguably Robinson has more talent at his disposal) but they produced really well organised (if slightly dull) teams where every player knew what he was supposed to be doing. Appleton had the best squad we have had for 20 years, but again, you could see that each player knew his role. I don’t get that sense (at all) with this team that Robinson has produced.

And even with the squad Appleton inherited, you could still see what he was trying to do with the side.

Good players, poor coach.
The whole thing is a shambles.
Manager without a clue, stubborn and oblivious to how terrible he is because he believes his own bullshit.
Chairman with no balls who buys KR bullshit. And thinks as long as people are trying hard it’s okay to do an awful job. But deep down he doesn’t care about the football just like Kassam.
Recruitment ‘team’ who should all be sacked considering the players we brought in in the summer. Hanson, Dai, Norman, Garbut, I could go on.
Lessons to be learned about how the club treated the Ultras? I mean FFS how hard is it to just be nice to a valued part of the club.
The club can’t even plan when to pay the bills FFS.
As for Gillingham game it was no different to Blackpool like I said our wins are just lucky and depend more on the opposition being poor than us being good.

I'm sorry, but I'm going to have to state the bleedin' obvious. Everybody is raving about what Olly Olly Okinshaw has done at Manure. Same with Poop Guard at Man Shitty. Different class of football to us, but the principal is the same. The manager gets credit when you win, the manager gets the boot if you are continually rubbish over the course of a season. We're all moaning (quite correctly) about the lack of leadership, when it comes to our club's finances and how we would like a positive change. Our home average attendance is pretty bloody good, considering the shite division we are in. The fans deserve better, as should be expected. I'm not an expert, but results will always speak for themselves. Even if we somehow survive the drop this season, I cannot see us improving next season, under this manager. Only one course of action, sorry to say. But I don't think our chairman will do the sensible thing. Turbulent times ahead.........and for once, I'm not talking about Brexit.

Agree. Rochdale have conceded 74 goals aslready this season which is staggering. I think they will want us to go there and turn it into a battle, rather than attacking.
But KR is a tactically clueless idiot. Won’t happen.

I just cannot work out his reasoning to dropping Whyte? agree he is great player to come off bench and make impact but Garbutt imo just isn't the man to make that from get go. Poor performance cant say I'm surprised, already dreading going to Luton needing a win to stay up.

I just cannot work out his reasoning to dropping Whyte? agree he is great player to come off bench and make impact but Garbutt imo just isn't the man to make that from get go. Poor performance cant say I'm surprised, already dreading going to Luton needing a win to stay up.

Basic idea is to spend the first hour making the other side run around and get tired. Above all do not concede. On the hour bring on the fast players and go for it. Worked twice. Failed the last time.

Just watching match of the day and I think I know where we’re going wrong.
The teams that are winning are the ones who are kicking the ball in the goal.
Ever thought of football management, I think your methods may just work.

Back
Top Bottom