General Academy watch

Watching the BT Sport Documentary South of the River and in episode 1 quite a bit on Josh Anifowose. Comes across very well and certainly overcome a lot of challenges in life
He features more as the series progresses, particularly in Episode 3, where the club and Karl are also featured. Also some very positive comments from Adebola Lookman in Episode 3 regarding Karl's input into his career.

Worth watching.

I have heard that nico jones turned up to training hungover after going partying the night before robbo never saw him in the same light after that

I might be wrong, but Adam Smith doesn't seem to have been as prolific this season? Until now! Bournemouth always seem to be good at this level so that's a good result.
I see that Josh Johnson (KR liked him pre season) is starting for the Youth team as well.

Really surprised we've let Adam Smith go in particular. Whilst I appreciate we don't see a lot of what goes on in the Academy, the reports we have gotten both from the club and regular attendees of youth games on here seemed like he was a decent young striker.

Great news on Brearey, Golding and Goodrham - the latter I really think we'll see challenging the first team before long, a really exciting talent.

Several players released. Adam Smith is a particular surprise.

Full list:

Released: Clinton Nosakhare, Ben Watt, Mac Masters, Elijah Coe, and Adam Smith
Retained: Eddie Brearey, James Golding
TBC: Josh Anifowose, Will Owens

Link: https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2022/march/academy-update-300322/
agree Adam Smith being released is a surprise .... prolific and looked ( in the times I saw him play) to be a predatory natural goalscorer

May be wrong, but isn't Mac Masters great-grandson of a HUFC/ OUFC player?

Last edited:
agree Adam Smith being released is a surprise .... prolific and looked ( in the times I saw him play) to be a predatory natural goalscorer

May be wrong, but isn't Mac Masters great-grandson of a HUFC/ OUFC player?
Yes Mac’s great uncle, Fred Taylor played for the HUFC from 1889 and his great grandfather around 1912. Another grandfather helped build the Manor after a days work. All our family follow the club.
He only ever wanted to play for our club, his club.
Think he deserved at least another 6 months after injury. COYY

Several players released. Adam Smith is a particular surprise.

Full list:

Released: Clinton Nosakhare, Ben Watt, Mac Masters, Elijah Coe, and Adam Smith
Retained: Eddie Brearey, James Golding
TBC: Josh Anifowose, Will Owens

Link: https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2022/march/academy-update-300322/
I am also really surprised about Smith as he seemed to be a real goalscorer.
Golding seems to be considered as one for the future

Very surprised about Smith, he had something about him.

Masters whilst not the best player in that team is an Oxford boy through and through and had a hard time of things recently, as they mentioned in the article, so I'm disappointed to hear he won't be given a longer chance to prove himself.

Adding my voice to the surprise at Adam Smith. Seemed there was a long period where whenever I read an U18/U21 match report, his name would be on the scoresheet. Hope he finds his way with a Banbury United/North Leigh type, and proves us wrong like Matty did.

Wonder whether we'll see new pro deals/extensions for spasov, Elechi, Chambers-parillon or plumley?

I would hope LCP is given an extension, and a chance to impress in pre-season.

I haven't heard anything about Elechi in some time, I assume he'll be out soon. And same with Spasov, there's some talent there but also too many injuries.

Likewise surprised about Adam Smith. Also surprised about Ben Watt but only from reports obviously.

I feel like a lot of our more promising youngsters tend to be bigged up and then just come up short without being given a real chance. I suppose if you look at how much we’ve progressed our first team in the last few years it’s hardly surprising, the jump from youth to first team football is surely bigger then ever at our level?

I feel like a lot of our more promising youngsters tend to be bigged up and then just come up short without being given a real chance. I suppose if you look at how much we’ve progressed our first team in the last few years it’s hardly surprising, the jump from youth to first team football is surely bigger then ever at our level?
An U21s side playing in a league (for U21s ...if there is one?) Might, perhaps be a help?

What ever happened to the football combination ? ....perhaps its time that a new version, even if it were to be regionalised , of the old 'reserves ' league was revived?

Last edited:
An U21s side playing in a league (for U21s ...if there is one?) Might, perhaps be a help?

What ever happened to the football combination ? ....perhaps its time that a new version, even if it were to be regionalised , of the old 'reserves ' league was revived?

What

I asked the club years ago and the standard just isn't worth it with the cost and how awkward it can be depending on when fixtures are organised. So friendlies have been the way forward so far.

Anyone know how old these players are (eg. Adam Smith)?

In an ideal world these players would be given until they’re 20/21 - but appreciate that this can’t happen with the majority. All the more reason to maintain good relationships with local clubs and to keep monitoring players after they leave us. Also helps when the likes of Banbury and Oxford City are doing so well.

Perhaps someone could tell me what happened. We used to have a development squad or an u-23 squad in the last decade.

Or are they just different names for youth team / reserves?

Just as devils advocate here, is it worth having the youth programme at all? Recently it’s got us Baptiste and the reserve goalie, but must have cost quite a lot. In reality I think it has an important social role in anchoring the club in the community, but in footballing terms and with squad limits it’s hard for young players to break through. I think the little lad on the wing could make it though, remind me of his name? Also GOD.

Just as devils advocate here, is it worth having the youth programme at all? Recently it’s got us Baptiste and the reserve goalie, but must have cost quite a lot. In reality I think it has an important social role in anchoring the club in the community, but in footballing terms and with squad limits it’s hard for young players to break through. I think the little lad on the wing could make it though, remind me of his name? Also GOD.

Tyler Goodrham.

Back
Top Bottom