Sport Azeem Rafiq - oh dear!

A summary of todays world.

Everyone has a past, everyone has done something "wrong", now it is recorded forever and it was obvious someone would be trawling for his.

Doesn`t excuse his treatment at all but certainly takes the shine off of his grievance.

Social media is brutal................
FEfpuVaWUAMCd3N

Wow what a turn around in events, seems he is also racist!

Not saying he is lieing about his abuse, but pot kettle!

He was treated terribly so it appears but was a racist himself.
He says that he has now deleted the tweets to avoid further possible hurt. I wonder why he left it until now?

Social media is brutal................
FEfpuVaWUAMCd3N

Let’s not pretend there are any winners in this. Rafiq experienced undoubted racism and even his own stupid anti-Semitic comments don’t mean that the racist comments up at Yorkshire didn’t happen.

But racists will make capital about it which will push back the changes in culture that he was looking for miles back. ‘Why believe that racism is a problem when the accuser is racist himself?’ will be their argument. You can bet your bottom dollar that there will be a load of flag shagging ‘patriots’ sending Rafiq abuse right now. Let’s not pretend that they’re on the side of the Jews here either …

Anti-semitism is a problem in this country as many simply don’t see the tropes about Jews or the slurs against them as racist. It needs to be taken as seriously as skin colour racism too.

He was so truamatised by the racism, that he left Yorkshire, and then decided to COME BACK! Cry me a river. He’s lost all credibility. If I was investigating a racist incident that so happened to involve a racist, I wouldn’t be so quick to believe them..

He was so truamatised by the racism, that he left Yorkshire, and then decided to COME BACK! Cry me a river. He’s lost all credibility. If I was investigating a racist incident that so happened to involve a racist, I wouldn’t be so quick to believe them..

Having done something wrong in the past has absolutely no bearing on the likelihood of being the victim of someone else's wrong doing.

Rafiq has been found to have made offensive comments, but that doesn't change the fact that he was also subjected to racist abuse from a number of people, and many more who turned a blind eye to it.

Let’s not pretend there are any winners in this. Rafiq experienced undoubted racism and even his own stupid anti-Semitic comments don’t mean that the racist comments up at Yorkshire didn’t happen.

But racists will make capital about it which will push back the changes in culture that he was looking for miles back. ‘Why believe that racism is a problem when the accuser is racist himself?’ will be their argument. You can bet your bottom dollar that there will be a load of flag shagging ‘patriots’ sending Rafiq abuse right now. Let’s not pretend that they’re on the side of the Jews here either …

Anti-semitism is a problem in this country as many simply don’t see the tropes about Jews or the slurs against them as racist. It needs to be taken as seriously as skin colour racism too.

Spot on.

Having done something wrong in the past has absolutely no bearing on the likelihood of being the victim of someone else's wrong doing.

Rafiq has been found to have made offensive comments, but that doesn't change the fact that he was also subjected to racist abuse from a number of people, and many more who turned a blind eye to it.
Same way that his fellow players turned a blind eye to his racism then, yeah? Or does it not matter as much, because he’s not white? Or, is it because Jews don’t matter? I’ve also seen him wearing a tshirt with “paki power” on the front of it. Seems it’s okay for him to be racist, but when the boot is on the other foot, it’s a big scandal and we are all to pander to him as some inspiration? Couldn’t care less. He’s just as bad.

If you are racist, and you receive racist abuse, then thats called universal balance. Unlucky.

Same way that his fellow players turned a blind eye to his racism then, yeah? Or does it not matter as much, because he’s not white or is it because, Jews don’t matter? I’ve also seen him wearing a tshirt with “paki power” on the front of it. Seems it’s okay for him to be racist, but when the boot is on the other foot, it’s a big scandal. Couldn’t care less.

If you are racist, and you receive racist abuse, then thats called universal balance. Unlucky. If you’re a c**t, these things happen.

You're very confused.

It is utter rubbish that he has lost all credibility, he still suffered racism at Yorkshire who have a culture of racism and tried to ignore the problem. Institutional racism and the culture of racism in cricket needs to be changed so it no longer exists. His anti-semitic comments don't change that, cricket has a massive problem and his situation has helped bring it to light.

|He should be pulled up on the anti-semitic comments as well though.

It is utter rubbish that he has lost all credibility, he still suffered racism at Yorkshire who have a culture of racism and tried to ignore the problem. Institutional racism and the culture of racism in cricket needs to be changed so it no longer exists. His anti-semitic comments don't change that, cricket has a massive problem and his situation has helped bring it to light.

|He should be pulled up on the anti-semitic comments as well though.
People won’t rush to sympathise with a man that has proven to be the very thing that he is up in arms against. That’s my point.

Same way that his fellow players turned a blind eye to his racism then, yeah? Or does it not matter as much, because he’s not white? Or, is it because Jews don’t matter? I’ve also seen him wearing a tshirt with “paki power” on the front of it. Seems it’s okay for him to be racist, but when the boot is on the other foot, it’s a big scandal and we are all to pander to him as some inspiration? Couldn’t care less. He’s just as bad.

If you are racist, and you receive racist abuse, then thats called universal balance. Unlucky.

So what that he wore a t-shirt with "paki power" on it, he is of Pakistani heritage after all.

People won’t rush to sympathise with a man that has proven to be the very thing that he is up in arms against. That’s my point.

It isn't about people sympathising, it is about the problem of institutional racism in cricket getting dealt with and that process won't change because of this. Whether the process is successful is the question especially with the ECB etc involved.

God some of you are so made up at the opportunity to discredit the claims of racism in the cricket world.

There’s certainly one on this thread and they’re doing their very best to illustrate my point above. They’re certainly not offended on the Jewish community’s behalf nor standing in solidarity with them. They just want to see the Asian lad who called out the white players for being racist get a taste of their own medicine. They’re evidently not fussed that he was the victim of racism either.

As I said, there’s no winners in this. Cricket has a problem with racism and Rafiq’s own prejudices and slurs have revealed it’s very deep indeed.

There’s certainly one on this thread and they’re doing their very best to illustrate my point above. They’re certainly not offended on the Jewish community’s behalf nor standing in solidarity with them. They just want to see the Asian lad who called out the white players for being racist get a taste of their own medicine. They’re evidently not fussed that he was the victim of racism either.

As I said, there’s no winners in this. Cricket has a problem with racism and Rafiq’s own prejudices and slurs have revealed it’s very deep indeed.

Indeed, and that is what must not be overlooked.

But it means that we all have to live in a worse world.

Anyway, the people doing whatever they did to him and his fellow Asian cricketers didn’t do it as some sort of revenge for what he had done - even if he had been an absolute saint he would still have received the abuse that he did. We should look to stamp out racism wherever we find it, not say it only counts if it’s done against underserving people.

Back
Top Bottom