National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

didn't 'big-nose' DeGaulle veto all the previous UK attempts/ applications to join the Common Market*
Just too young to vote in the first referendum, but did study this at school, so if I remember correctly, he vetoed both the attempts of Macmillan and Wilson to join the Common Market, primarily because Britain had trading links with the Commonwealth which gave us access to food at a much lower price than France, which relied heavily on it's own agriculture industry being supported by the Market's "Common Agricultural Policy". The other member states were happy to get access to this bounty but deGaulle would not countence it.

It was only after he had left office that Heath joined at the third attempt, but the links to our former Commonwealth partners were weakened.

Wilson held the first "in/out" referendum just two years later as the Labour Party (and the country) remained split 50/50 over membership. A late "renegotiation" of the terms of membership produced a "remain" result.

And they say we've moved on.....

"You tell the media what you want the public to believe"

Or, if you're a remain-supporting Conservative leadership figure, you can spend ÂŁ8m in taxpayer money sending out a pro-remain flyer covered in bullshit to every house in the country with the intention of getting a remain victory.

Edit: ÂŁ9m
One pamphlet....against hundreds of millions spent over 40 years in the media... (and paid for by the readers)....covered in bullshit with the intention of getting us out of Europe.

And yes, because that was the government's stated position at the time, so they set out their case and used tax payers money to do it, because that was what the "rules" allowed.

Badly misjudged as far as I'm concerned, but then we are talking Cameron and Osbourne...who did nothing to counter the Project Fear diatribe spewed out by the likes of Banks and Farage (true patriots, that pair :ROFLMAO: ).

When it came down to it, the result hinged on the vote of less then 650,000 people.

Anyway, as it is all going so swimmingly now, it hardly matters, does it 🤷‍♂️

We must be careful we all don't get burnt in the sunlit uplands (y)

Yeah, but you're always trying to tell youngsters on here they know nothing and should listen to your words of wisdom.

Are you saying that never applied to you :unsure: :ROFLMAO:

No, children of my generation were far more grounded, properly disciplined, and respected our elders and the police.
We didn`t need the "internet" if you did something wrong the news got home before you did.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

If you can dig past the adverts etc etc..............

Seems the EU doesn`t have the market "clout" that London does.

"The trade bodies called for Brussels to grant derivatives trading permission to the City for at least a further three years. The current reliefs relate to so-called intragroup transactions, which are trades between parties where at least one party is not based in the bloc, including affiliates of EU-based companies."

IIRC all these traders were going to "abandon London" in favour of other places?

As you were, its all doom & gloom ......

See what happens when coalitions get into power - it never ends well.

And she has been voted back in........

Never realised it is an 8 party coalition, bet their meetings are tedious. :)

If you can dig past the adverts etc etc..............

Seems the EU doesn`t have the market "clout" that London does.

"The trade bodies called for Brussels to grant derivatives trading permission to the City for at least a further three years. The current reliefs relate to so-called intragroup transactions, which are trades between parties where at least one party is not based in the bloc, including affiliates of EU-based companies."

IIRC all these traders were going to "abandon London" in favour of other places?

As you were, its all doom & gloom ......
It was always going to be tit for tat. UK wants access and revenue from EU clients, EU wants access and revenue from UK clients. And a lot of FI's have moved staff outside the UK to service EU clients under the new regulations, the FI's have predominately kept their balance sheets or trading entities in London.

Now about this "trading bloc"....................

Germany and Austria think its a good idea and the last time they got together............... over to @QR for the "rise of fascism".............

For what its worth I don`t agree with mandating vaccinations least of all when we know very little about the new variant.

Spain already requiring proof of vaccines for all visitors. Every visitor over 12 must be double jabbed, so by default vaccines are mandatory for us if you want to travel there...... 🤷‍♂️

Pesky Europeans.... enforcing vaccines on us.....even after we did a Brexit :oops:

Last edited:
Spain already requiring proof of vaccines for all visitors. Every visitor over 12 must be double jabbed, so by default vaccines are mandatory for us if you want to travel there...... 🤷‍♂️

Pesky Europeans.... enforcing vaccines on us.....even after we did a Brexit :oops:

Not completely true. I went there on a single jab before I had my second. Woman at the airport just looked at the brand, shrugged and waved me through. :) :cool:

Everyone wears a mask over the age of 6 with no exemptions.

Because its a simple rule folk are empowered to call folk out if they don`t put one on. (y)

Ursula needs to remember it is the choice of a state how they proceed not hers.

Not in the last 24hours you ain't

Not completely true. I went there on a single jab before I had my second. Woman at the airport just looked at the brand, shrugged and waved me through. :) :cool:

Everyone wears a mask over the age of 6 with no exemptions.

Because its a simple rule folk are empowered to call folk out if they don`t put one on. (y)

Ursula needs to remember it is the choice of a state how they proceed not hers.
You've got to love Ursula. The head of a body of commissioners, none of whom are appointed or voted for by the public they control serve.

Feels good to be out of that mess.

Not in the last 24hours you ain't

Got an NHS vaccine cert on the phone now so it's made it easier for us jabbed folk. :)

You've got to love Ursula. The head of a body of commissioners, none of whom are appointed or voted for by the public they control serve.

Feels good to be out of that mess.
No commissioner can be appointed without every member state approving them. They also need to be ratified by the EU Parliament which is made up of MEPs that the general public votes for in their respective countries. Even the President of the Commission can be blocked from taking the role by the Parliament failing to return a majority vote in support of their appointment. It’s just elected members of parliament, put there by Joe Bloggs, voting on motions. Pretty standard stuff.

It’s arguably more democratic than much of the British system. Especially when you consider the fact that the person in charge of Brexit, Lord Frost, was never elected by the British public in any capacity, as there is a technicality that allows Lords to serve as cabinet ministers. Which makes him an unelected bureaucrat in charge of Britain’s relationship with the EU, deliciously. This is also why we have “Lord” Goldsmith who couldn’t even successfully become London Mayor the other year “serving” as a minister. Our own cabinet of government contains multiple figures who have never been given any sort of mandate by the public and are not in office as a result of any election or vote, and who can never be voted out.

The House of Lords is arguably the most corrupt and undemocratic entity on the planet, so I assume anybody who hates the EU wants to see the Lords burned to the ground and any cabinet ministers who haven’t been voted for democratically to be sacked from their roles in government ASAP. Otherwise there is no consistency to the argument, regardless of the accuracy of the initial claims.

And if we want to take the approach of, “Well
the public voted for the politicians who decided to appoint those Lords, so technically they’ve been appointed by people who DO have a mandate” then we can just go back to the start and apply the same argument to the EU to begin with, because even if somebody WAS “unelected” then they were appointed and approved by somebody who WAS voted for. Etc etc.

But I don’t think there’s much need for that, because we’re all smart enough to know and understand all this regardless of our political standpoints or allegiances, and there’s a boat load of football on Amazon starting soon. Six games! Wow.

No commissioner can be appointed without every member state approving them. They also need to be ratified by the EU Parliament which is made up of MEPs that the general public votes for in their respective countries. Even the President of the Commission can be blocked from taking the role by the Parliament failing to return a majority vote in support of their appointment. It’s just elected members of parliament, put there by Joe Bloggs, voting on motions. Pretty standard stuff.

It’s arguably more democratic than much of the British system. Especially when you consider the fact that the person in charge of Brexit, Lord Frost, was never elected by the British public in any capacity, as there is a technicality that allows Lords to serve as cabinet ministers. Which makes him an unelected bureaucrat in charge of Britain’s relationship with the EU, deliciously. This is also why we have “Lord” Goldsmith who couldn’t even successfully become London Mayor the other year “serving” as a minister. Our own cabinet of government contains multiple figures who have never been given any sort of mandate by the public and are not in office as a result of any election or vote, and who can never be voted out.

The House of Lords is arguably the most corrupt and undemocratic entity on the planet, so I assume anybody who hates the EU wants to see the Lords burned to the ground and any cabinet ministers who haven’t been voted for democratically to be sacked from their roles in government ASAP. Otherwise there is no consistency to the argument, regardless of the accuracy of the initial claims.

And if we want to take the approach of, “Well
the public voted for the politicians who decided to appoint those Lords, so technically they’ve been appointed by people who DO have a mandate” then we can just go back to the start and apply the same argument to the EU to begin with, because even if somebody WAS “unelected” then they were appointed and approved by somebody who WAS voted for. Etc etc.

But I don’t think there’s much need for that, because we’re all smart enough to know and understand all this regardless of our political standpoints or allegiances, and there’s a boat load of football on Amazon starting soon. Six games! Wow.
Nope, we're not taking that approach.

Decision makers and genuine power wielders of national/policy making importance should have to be elected. So your assumption that I'm fine with the Lords is off - and I'm glad my argument is consistent in your opinion. Smash the EU, smash the Lord's and bring back some accountability.

(Incidentally I actually do think the Lords is more democratic than the EU Commission because it doesn't actually propose or create law, it is instead designed to provide a "checks and balances" service. It can block and propose amendments but not create it's own law, as you know).

All eyes on a big Everton upset here. Fingers crossed 🤞

Now about this "trading bloc"....................

Germany and Austria think its a good idea and the last time they got together............... over to @QR for the "rise of fascism".............

For what its worth I don`t agree with mandating vaccinations least of all when we know very little about the new variant.

What gets through your THICK skull? The European Union doesn't mandate vaccinations, it's the member nations. Had the UK been a full member of the EU in 2020, Boris could have continued to be a failure and joker. The UK would have been able to be lead by rich idiots, and healthcare in the UK would have been as it always has, a matter for the UK, the UK parliament, Senedd, Scottish parliament and NHS management.

Why do you repeat the same nonsense, that same untrue ****?

What gets through your THICK skull? The European Union doesn't mandate vaccinations, it's the member nations. Had the UK been a full member of the EU in 2020, Boris could have continued to be a failure and joker. The UK would have been able to be lead by rich idiots, and healthcare in the UK would have been as it always has, a matter for the UK, the UK parliament, Senedd, Scottish parliament and NHS management.

Why do you repeat the same nonsense, that same untrue ****?

Hi Ian, how are your anger issues?

I just posted the link about what she said to those in the club.

That club we aren`t in anymore. :)

Well things I never expected..............

He was responding too......

"Brussels last week withdrew a 32-page guide on inclusive language that advised staff to say “human-induced” instead of “man-made” and to avoid reference to Christmas during the holiday season."

Back
Top Bottom