National News The Brexit Thread 🇬🇧🇪🇺

At the risk of repeating myself......
What we joined, the Common Market was 100% a good thing. Free trade, Common standards, common practice, safety etc - all good.
At that time we were not informed of what it would evolve into 40 years later.
When Lisbon happened, and the EU gained its legal existence/status, that is the moment we should have been asked to make a choice to follow the path of increasing unity or not with far more clarity of what the EU wished to become..
The result would, without a doubt, have been different then.
However, the powers that be fudged it, and, by the time of the referendum, the Remain folk had got very complacent that the people thought everything was hunky dory.

Is there some discomfort in the short term? No doubt at all. Change does that.
Have some people found ways to overcome that? Of course.
Will things improve as more people get used to new ways of working? Yes.

Leaving the Club after 40 years was always going to hurt, a bit like when your local gets new owners and a refurb, some folk go back, some don`t and sometimes a new crowd turns up.

The country will be fine, I`ll be dead and those who benefit might be toddlers now. :)

At the risk of repeating myself......
What we joined, the Common Market was 100% a good thing. Free trade, Common standards, common practice, safety etc - all good.
At that time we were not informed of what it would evolve into 40 years later.
When Lisbon happened, and the EU gained its legal existence/status, that is the moment we should have been asked to make a choice to follow the path of increasing unity or not with far more clarity of what the EU wished to become..
The result would, without a doubt, have been different then.
However, the powers that be fudged it, and, by the time of the referendum, the Remain folk had got very complacent that the people thought everything was hunky dory.

Is there some discomfort in the short term? No doubt at all. Change does that.
Have some people found ways to overcome that? Of course.
Will things improve as more people get used to new ways of working? Yes.

Leaving the Club after 40 years was always going to hurt, a bit like when your local gets new owners and a refurb, some folk go back, some don`t and sometimes a new crowd turns up.

The country will be fine, I`ll be dead and those who benefit might be toddlers now. :)
Amazing that you can use so many words in support of leaving the EU, customs union and single market without giving a single tangible example of how it made life worse for people in the UK. Oh and I think we can all see the suppressing wages claim was nonsense now we have such a damaging shortage of labour and real terms wage reductions. .

Last edited:
Amazing that you can use so many words in support of leaving the EU, customs union and single market without giving a single tangible example of how it made life worse for people in the UK. Oh and I think we can all see the suppressing wages claim was nonsense now we have such a damaging shortage of labour and real terms wage reductions. .
It was all only ever about the most moronic and meaningnless three word slogan of them all..... tAkInG bAcK cOnTrOl

That was the mantra that has driven the zealots on with such ferver without ever realising they were being played by the rich toffs and verbose shysters who were always in it for themselves and what they could get out of it..... It was certainly never for the little people - good god man! They desperatley wanted to believe that they cult they'd joined would deliver salvation (Praise be to Nigel) from the evil clutches to the euro devils who persisted in making their lives hell.

It's up there with trickle-down economics as yet another snake-oil scheme ;)

Too many for you to read and understand obviously.

Try reading it slowly, whilst thinking.

To use the current inflation figure and suggest that it is as a result of a government conspiracy to suppress wages-that is just not true and unworthy of you and your cause

To use the current inflation figure and suggest that it is as a result of a government conspiracy to suppress wages-that is just not true and unworthy of you and your cause
Actually my sentence doesn't make sense (my bad) as I meant to say 'Brexiteers increase in wages claim'. Less haste and all that. :(

Never trust a word that comes out of a politicians mouth. I thought that was pretty obvious 🙂
That’s not true, though, is it? They’re not all the same. And you can hardly call the lying Brexit crew politicians- they were PR guys, opportunists, and stooges of the country’s enemies.

To be fair I wouldn't know. Are GB News still going? Once Andrew Neil left, I thought it was going the same way as VHS!🤣
ah, their line is now "ratings don't matter" (because they don't have any), they focus on the youtube views for their clickbait shorts.

ah, their line is now "ratings don't matter" (because they don't have any), they focus on the youtube views for their clickbait shorts.

TalkTV has taken their role for the culture wars rubbish as well with rent-a-gobsh*te Piers Morgan.

I'm old enough to remember when the queues at Dover we the fault of the the French Boarder guards. I'm really looking forward to see which French public body is responsible for "the passengers that have been stuck at border control" in Calais. Brexit?! No, no, no. Bloody hell is that a red squirrel?!!

I'm old enough to remember when the queues at Dover we the fault of the the French Boarder guards. I'm really looking forward to see which French public body is responsible for "the passengers that have been stuck at border control" in Calais. Brexit?! No, no, no. Bloody hell is that a red squirrel?!!

Nope never get queues anywhere at the start or end of the school holidays.......... ever.

"He shared pictures of long lines of cars filled with families trying to get back to Dover ahead of the new school year starting for many in England next week.

Fancy that..........if everyone travels at the same time to a pinch point queues will build up.

Probably an easy catch for the intellectually challenged.

Nope never get queues anywhere at the start or end of the school holidays.......... ever.

"He shared pictures of long lines of cars filled with families trying to get back to Dover ahead of the new school year starting for many in England next week.

Fancy that..........if everyone travels at the same time to a pinch point queues will build up.

Probably an easy catch for the intellectually challenged.
I've travelled that route enough times to know queues of around two hours at are, sorry, were the norm during such peak time but not SIX hours. Come on you're going to have to try better.

I've travelled that route enough times to know queues of around two hours at are, sorry, were the norm during such peak time but not SIX hours. Come on you're going to have to try better.

Not factored in "pent up demand" after a couple of years of not travelling? More folk looking for a cheaper holiday? Lack of staff ? Additional checks? It all adds up and isn`t the single issue you are trying to make it.

Also done it a fair few times, we don`t have kids and travel out of school holidays.

What are these "queues" you talk of? :)

Overnight at the Premier Inn - early morning Eurotunnel, we have never queued.

Not factored in "pent up demand" after a couple of years of not travelling? More folk looking for a cheaper holiday? Lack of staff ? Additional checks? It all adds up and isn`t the single issue you are trying to make it.

Also done it a fair few times, we don`t have kids and travel out of school holidays.

What are these "queues" you talk of? :)

Overnight at the Premier Inn - early morning Eurotunnel, we have never queued.
Je vais bien, Jacques?

Back
Top Bottom