Current Player #8 Cameron Brannagan

Realistically £2/2.5M+ & sell on fee is the bare minimum we should be looking for specially as we sold Baptiste £2.25M+ (a young talent with potential to go higher) where as Brannagan is proven quality at this level (look at Doncaster they sold there best central midfielder Ben Whiteman for £1.5/2M to Preston)

Last edited:
I actually don’t think the transfer to Pool will materialise, but interesting you lot are lining up Kane who looks a good player…

Read some of the posts RE what you lot value him at - so I assume he is a very good player?

- question: what style of player is he?- box to box?

how’s thorniley getting on?

I actually don’t think the transfer to Pool will materialise, but interesting you lot are lining up Kane who looks a good player…

Read some of the posts RE what you lot value him at - so I assume he is a very good player?

He can play the defensive midfield role but he is mainly a box to box midfielder with plenty of skill and lots of energy.

Re. Thorniley.

He's settled in well and continues the mould of previous centre backs that we've had in recent seasons in Rob Dickie and Robert Atkinson who are playing ain the second tier now. He carries the ball well and plays at a level beyond his years. Thanks for him!

Re. Brannagan.

He's started the season with something to prove. Last year was not his best year as he was beset with a rare and potentially sight-threatening eye condition that kept him out of the squad for some time. When he returned, he wasn't at the level we know he can play at. However, this term he has started with a real intensity. He wants to be at the heart of everything which has seem him play somewhere between defensive midfield playmaker to the box to box runner. As @Marked Ox says, his energy so far has been astounding.

With the greatest of respect to Blackpool, I think geography is the only reason he may consider a move to you with Cam Bran being from Manchester. I would have thought he would have been looking at a move to a side likely to press for promotion to the PL instead rather than look to consolidate in the second tier at best. I know Millwall have sniffed around him before too and again I wouldn't think he'd move there for the same reasons. In truth, I want to keep him here but if the offer was right (and the sell on worthwhile too), it's not our policy to stand in the player's way.

We've more than lined up Kane - he signed already.

Have to say if CamBran goes to you I'll be really pissed off because he is just that good. Had a tough year last year and nearly went blind, but this season he's started like a rocket and looks like he's too good for both of our clubs - I don't think he'd look out of place at a promotion chasing Championship club if he can keep his form up. As it is, he really loves OUFC and given how we stuck by him and helped him through his eye troubles last year, I think it would take a hell of an offer to tempt him away - in terms of both transfer fee and contract.

As for style of player, he mainly plays as an 8 for us, really good on the ball, can pick a pass and control the midfield. We've played him as a CDM and he can do that well too, but he's definitely superior in the 8. His best attribute for me though is his passion. I've rarely seen a player who just adores being on the pitch and playing as much as Cam, and he's the kind of player that can single handedly lift a team to get a win.

As for Thornily, if we could have him on a perm that would be lovely. One of our best performers so far this season, been really impressed. I believe we have an option to buy in January, but a deal that meant we bypassed that option and maybe saved some money on him may be the only way you can nick Cam off of us.

For what it's worth I think a transfer is unlikely in this window, but if we fail to go up this season Cam will be in the Championship next season without question.

Cheers for the in-depth info - didn’t know about the eye condition, glad to hear that’s in the past & sounds a real player.

I wouldn’t say we need another CDM, but are crying out for a creative mid really and a leader on the pitch wouldn’t go amiss ! - I won’t take the comments personally because given our start to the season we’re going to be a dog fight for sure, hopefully we will have enough to stay up however.

He will be well known to our manager (critchley) who would have worked with him for years at his time with Liverpool which could be another sway point - but we’ve just Gabriel who was on loan for us last season for believed to be 700k, so cannot see us forking out over 1 mil for anyone, so could rule bran out.

Always like thorniley here… he’s the most layed back player you will ever see when he’s on the ball, which can be frightening at times but he’s solid enough and always had a great attitude. Very likely he will be allowed to leave as he’s been seen as surplus a couple of times for us & should do you well.

anyway all the best

Brannagan has been a really consistent performer for us in his time here. He's combative but not what you'd call a hard man midfielder. Has great energy though, passes well and is generally at the heart of much of our play. Could maybe add a goal or two more but weighs in with a few and had a particularly purple patch in front of goal at the start of the season before last. He never shirks responsibility though and is mature beyond his years in that respect, he's the sort who would demand the ball to take a crucial spot kick (he isn't our penalty taker) as he proved in the play off semi final shoot out win against Pompey two seasons ago.

Thorniley has been a great addition, and due to injury to Moore he has been paired in central defence with a previously untried young player and we have looked very solid. He's not flashy on the ball but seems to do the basics really well. Probably one of our lower profile incomings but he could just turn out to be the best of the lot if he continues how he's started.

Ideally, I wouldn't want to get Thorniley at the expense of Brannagan but if he was part of any deal then it would help to soften the blow - as long as the cash adjustment reflected Brannagans true worth, which at the minute Blackpool seem miles off.

Brannagan: rubbish- don't waste your money. You'll thank me later.

Thornley: Even worse than Brannagan but we'll suffer him so you don't have to .

Going to be a serious struggle keeping hold of him in Jan -His buy out clause is only 1 million in Jan, so if a club reach that and double or triple his wages could you blame him?

Yeah simply put wouldn't blame him. If he continues to play well, we get £1m and half a season of good form which hopefully has us near-ish the top of the table.

The alternative is either he plays crap or gets injured, so not sure either of those helps us much.

Could we offer a year extension on his current deal and up the buyout clause?

Back
Top Bottom