EFL Classified Football Results - Scrapped!

Emilio

The Beeb have scrapped the age-old 5pm Classified Football Results on Radio 5 Live, citing the number of Premier League fixtures kicking off at 5.30pm as a motive.

Disgusting PL-centric decision, ignoring the thousands of fans of clubs ar all other levels of the pyramid!

The Beeb have scrapped the age-old 5pm Classified Football Results on Radio 5 Live, citing the number of Premier League fixtures kicking off at 5.30pm as a motive.

Disgusting PL-centric decision, ignoring the thousands of fans of clubs ar all other levels of the pyramid!
would get it slightly more if it was less games kicking off at 3pm but the 5:30 reason makes no sense.

Games gone....... :rolleyes:

Nothing exists outside of the £100 tickets, £7 a pint, and walls stopping fans from seeing each other.

The BBC is completely fixated with the Premier League.

Their coverage of the lower league clubs in the FA Cup is embarrassingly patronising.

Save some wages, get rid of smug face Lineker and employ someone like Colin Murray, and while they’re at it axe a few of the banal, cliche ridden, non-insightful, state the bleeding’ obvious pundits.

I like a bit of tradition as much as the next man, but I can't remember the last time I listened to the Classified Check. If I'm back in the car/on the train by 5 pm, I'm tuned to RadOx or I'm streaming it via BBC Sounds.

@Yellow River The BBC provides more coverage of lower league football and local sports than any other media organisation. There are forty local radio stations providing great coverage outside of the Premier League. You can't blame them for focussing the national station on the league that most listeners are interested in.

Most people wanting to know the other results will be checking in on their phones

It's an abiding memory for me - walking back to the car with my Dad in time for the opening music to Sports Report and then listening to the classified results. That music is now primarily a coded warning that it's only an hour until those idiots Savage and Sutton are about to take to the air with their 'banter' and speaking to some bloke from Newton Abbot who's been a 'lifelong' Man Utd fan, in spite of never having left Devon.

Personally, I miss the bloke hanging up the scores at half-time while we checked the programme to see what the games actually were and then walked closely to someone with a transistor radio on at their ear after the game!

I like a bit of tradition as much as the next man, but I can't remember the last time I listened to the Classified Check. If I'm back in the car/on the train by 5 pm, I'm tuned to RadOx or I'm streaming it via BBC Sounds.

@Yellow River The BBC provides more coverage of lower league football and local sports than any other media organisation. There are forty local radio stations providing great coverage outside of the Premier League. You can't blame them for focussing the national station on the league that most listeners are interested in.
BBC are axing ( merging apparently though it really axing/ absorbing in reality BBC Oxford TV local news slot into- f*****g rubbish- BBC South) - hope BBC Oxford radio especially BBC Oxford sport coverage, survives the cull

Stopping at Radio Rentals on London Road to watch the scores on the tellys................

Or following someone with one of those new-fangled battery-operated transistor radios hoping the signal didn`t drop out..............

Or grabbing a copy of the Green `Un............

Or dialling "Club Call" .......

Kids these days, don`t know they are born. :)

They should have just abandoned it in 2013 when James Alexander Gordon retired.
Noone really needed it by that time anyways (we all are probably checking the scores on our phones after the game) and he really was the tradition.

Stopping at Radio Rentals on London Road to watch the scores on the tellys................

Or following someone with one of those new-fangled battery-operated transistor radios hoping the signal didn`t drop out..............

Or grabbing a copy of the Green `Un............

Or dialling "Club Call" .......

Kids these days, don`t know they are born. :)

Or walking down to the Butchers Arms for a few swift pints. Watching goals extra after looking at the tables.

I don't get this big deal, so BBC won't be calling out all the full time scores, at all?

Gone downhill ever since they got rid of the cricket scoreboard "Hang On" number plates for the game A, B, C, D etc. halftime scores.

Shame if people's dreams of reading out "East Fife 4 Forfar 5" on national radio are gone forever.

Gone downhill ever since they got rid of the cricket scoreboard "Hang On" number plates for the game A, B, C, D etc. halftime scores.

Shame if people's dreams of reading out "East Fife 4 Forfar 5" on national radio are gone forever.
Shouldn't that be Forfar 4 East Fife 5...

It’s a bit like the shipping forecast. Technology has rendered it far less relevant nowadays but it would be shame to see it depart. It feels part of the furniture, has a relaxing rhythm to it and still has its use - if you’re driving away from a game, it still proves to be a hands free method of hearing the full time scores around 5pm.

I don’t get what problem it solves by not reading them out. It takes a few minutes at most - why is that time needed for anything else? Also, the excuse for it is pretty flimsy. The vast majority of the EFL and Scottish Leagues kicks off at 3pm. It’s not like they’re without scores to read out.

I remember the very early Radio Oxford sports programs from the early 70s. At the start of the program they used to read all the local scores, right down to leagues where the likes of Marsh Gibbon 3rd Reserves used to play. We all had to wait patiently for 5 minutes or so until a report on the Oxford game was given.

It's an abiding memory for me - walking back to the car with my Dad in time for the opening music to Sports Report and then listening to the classified results. That music is now primarily a coded warning that it's only an hour until those idiots Savage and Sutton are about to take to the air with their 'banter' and speaking to some bloke from Newton Abbot who's been a 'lifelong' Man Utd fan, in spite of never having left Devon.

Personally, I miss the bloke hanging up the scores at half-time while we checked the programme to see what the games actually were and then walked closely to someone with a transistor radio on at their ear after the game!
Agree with this, being dragged through the crowds back to the car in time for the music, etc

However, those were the days of ten minute half times and negligible injury time, so games ended at 4:40, 4:45 at the latest.

Nowadays, we're likely to still be playing at 5pm, so in truth that tradition is well gone....

Back
Top Bottom