Club identity/wearing away and 3rd kit unnecessarily

surely traditionalist is not yellow and blue....
I suppose that's true, and it depends how far you go back. But yellow and blue is *more* traditional than black or white or yellow and white!

Do 3 kits actually generate any extra revenue?
I can't imagine many people buy more than one kit a season. If people do only buy one kit then I see two knock on effects:-
It is diluting the sale volumes of the other two kits, which is surely a problem for a small retailer like OUFC.
There will be less sales of the home yellow kit which reduces the amount of yellow shirts in the crowd, more yellow the better behind the goal.

I can't imagine many people buy more than one kit a season. If people do only buy one kit then I see two knock on effects:-
It is diluting the sale volumes of the other two kits, which is surely a problem for a small retailer like OUFC.
There will be less sales of the home yellow kit which reduces the amount of yellow shirts in the crowd, more yellow the better behind the goal.

The 3rd kit should of been the away kit in my opinion. Black kit is a bit bland.

My kids both get a home shirt in the summer and a second one for Christmas. They have a choice which one to get which was one white, one orange last season but will be two white/blue this year. I also tend to pick up all three shirts, but that's just something I like doing as a collector.

I appreciate that many are unable to do this and are likely to only buy one shirt, but I don't think it hurts to have greater choice.

The 3rd kit should of been the away kit in my opinion. Black kit is a bit bland.
I think the black looks quite smart, but there was a time it was just Home and Away shirts.
The difference in shirt prices is quite alarming my grandson bought a junior shirt 4/5!years ago £29 but the year before he had a bit of an affinity with Man City and my wife and I bought him a Man City shirt £59 hell of a mark up.

I was always quite fond of the all yellow Unipart shirt from the late 90s. Not only was it worn for most away matches but was also used for 2, maybe 3 seasons?
Although I doubt it made much financial sense, it did effectively make us sustainable trail blazers a quarter of a century ago!!
That’ll steel a bit of FGR’s thunder!

I was always quite fond of the all yellow Unipart shirt from the late 90s. Not only was it worn for most away matches but was also used for 2, maybe 3 seasons?
Although I doubt it made much financial sense, it did effectively make us sustainable trail blazers a quarter of a century ago!!
That’ll steel a bit of FGR’s thunder!
Screenshot_20211117-204308_Chrome.jpg

Barely any changes for 4 seasons

Merchandise is one of the few ways the club can generate revenue, hopefully more choices equals more sales!

My kids both get a home shirt in the summer and a second one for Christmas. They have a choice which one to get which was one white, one orange last season but will be two white/blue this year. I also tend to pick up all three shirts, but that's just something I like doing as a collector.

I appreciate that many are unable to do this and are likely to only buy one shirt, but I don't think it hurts to have greater choice.
I agree my three boys got the yellow ones in the summer and one got a black one the other two have got the white ones for Xmas

Me grandsons n middle granddaughter each get a home shirt at some point, birthdays usually ... 'our' colours are yellow (n blue) , so thats all thats needed IMO

It's only been in the last ten years or so that we change both (or three) kits every year. Prior to that we usually either alternated in changing the home or away kit each year, or not changing either for two seasons.

Good to see us wearing yellow tonight!

The argument that the third strip is a major income stream isn't correct, I doubt shirt sales cover even one players wage for the season. We can do without it.
I don't think the question is whether it's a major income stream, but if it is turning a profit for the club then why should we cut down to only selling two kits?

I don't think the question is whether it's a major income stream, but if it is turning a profit for the club then why should we cut down to only selling two kits?
Because having too many kits of various colours and wearing them when there is no need dilutes our identity. We are 'Yellows' not 'Yellows except when we are wearing some other colour randomly'?

Because having too many kits of various colours and wearing them when there is no need dilutes our identity. We are 'Yellows' not 'Yellows except when we are wearing some other colour randomly'?
We've been randomly wearing other colours away from home for 40 odd years and I'm not sure that it's had any impact on our identity. Even when wearing white/orange/black etc we still sing "yellows" or "yellow army" etc.

We've been randomly wearing other colours away from home for 40 odd years and I'm not sure that it's had any impact on our identity. Even when wearing white/orange/black etc we still sing "yellows" or "yellow army" etc.
Not to this degree we haven't. We used to wear an alternative kit when there was a clash. Which is absolutely fine and sensible. That is no longer the case. We wear alternatively coloured kit for a large proportion of our games whether we need to or not.

• React
Reactions: ljs
Not to this degree we haven't. We used to wear an alternative kit when there was a clash. Which is absolutely fine and sensible. That is no longer the case. We wear alternatively coloured kit for a large proportion of our games whether we need to or not.
Well you could say that things change and men no longer smoke or wear hats on buses. I wouldn't mind too much if the kit looked good - that orange one for example

Well you could say that things change and men no longer smoke or wear hats on buses. I wouldn't mind too much if the kit looked good - that orange one for example
Not quite sure that's an apt comparison! And hats will make a comeback soon.

So the question then is, if you don't mind and it generates extra cash for the club, how much of the season would you be happy for us to wear an alternative kit for? Maybe for half the games at home we could wear white and thus increase the sales of that kit? Or do you think people might moan just a tiny bit if we did that? Are some people more OK with us wearing random kits when away simply because they aren't there?

I stand by my original point. Club colours *are* important and the more often we wear them the better.

Not quite sure that's an apt comparison! And hats will make a comeback soon.

So the question then is, if you don't mind and it generates extra cash for the club, how much of the season would you be happy for us to wear an alternative kit for? Maybe for half the games at home we could wear white and thus increase the sales of that kit? Or do you think people might moan just a tiny bit if we did that? Are some people more OK with us wearing random kits when away simply because they aren't there?

I stand by my original point. Club colours *are* important and the more often we wear them the better.
Obvs we're only talking about away games - I totally agree that we need to keep our home kit! That would be crossing a line

Back
Top Bottom