Club identity/wearing away and 3rd kit unnecessarily

Because having too many kits of various colours and wearing them when there is no need dilutes our identity. We are 'Yellows' not 'Yellows except when we are wearing some other colour randomly'?
Where's the evidence it dilutes our identity? That's just a subjective opinion, whereas the money brought in through third kit sales is a financial statistic.

If we were using our home kit at home only, whilst using the black and white kits away you might have a point, but the yellow kit is still featuring in around 1/3 of our away games. It's obviously not going anywhere, and even if I did have a problem with it I'm sure I could suck it up if it meant the club making more money through shirt sales to invest in playing/coaching staff.

...whereas the money brought in through third kit sales is a financial statistic.

...I'm sure I could suck it up if it meant the club making more money through shirt sales to invest in playing/coaching staff.
Two points which I don't really disagree with. But how much money does a third kit actually generate? How many do we think the club manages to sell? 200? 500 at tops? Mark-Up of £20 at best, would give us £10,000 at the top end - which by the grand scheme of things is peanuts, 2 weeks of a First XI wage? And as someone else said earlier on the thread, does the presence of a third kit just have the effect of diluting down the sales of the second kit?

Two points which I don't really disagree with. But how much money does a third kit actually generate? How many do we think the club manages to sell? 200? 500 at tops? Mark-Up of £20 at best, would give us £10,000 at the top end - which by the grand scheme of things is peanuts, 2 weeks of a First XI wage? And as someone else said earlier on the thread, does the presence of a third kit just have the effect of diluting down the sales of the second kit?
I'll admit I don't have the figures, but it's hardly like it's going to make the club less money. Even if it's just a small amount of money it's beneficial, and if it's not worth the club's time as a revenue stream, they'd just stop doing it.

But I think it's important to come back to the original point of the thread which wasn't even about third kits, but instead saying we should only change our kits when they clash, which would be max 4 times a season. Doing something like that would make a third kit completely redundant whilst diminishing sales for a barely-used away kit.

Where's the evidence it dilutes our identity? That's just a subjective opinion, whereas the money brought in through third kit sales is a financial statistic.
Yes, of course it is a subjective opinion (although I am sure an advertising agency can put a value on 'brand' and 'identity' and consistency of such!). I just think there is very little more important to a club than it's identity and in our case that is now 'Yellows'. Players, managers, coaches and owners (and even grounds!) come and go. Even the badge gets fiddled about with. The constants are the name, the supporters and (mostly!) the colours.

I understand that finance trumps everything nowadays, but I think it's a shame we don't play in yellow and blue as much as possible. I must admit I can't actually see how that point of view is even arguable!

Obvs we're only talking about away games - I totally agree that we need to keep our home kit! That would be crossing a line
I'm pretty sure there is a ruling that you have to wear your declared home kit at every home game anyway, with possibly one game being allowed where you can wear an alternative.

I have noticed down here that if i wear my yellow home shirt everyone knows its an Oxford United shirt. When i wear my orange away shirt,( which i really like by the way), a lot of folk don't relate it to Oxford United and are always asking what team it is.
In my time of supporting OUFC its always been yellow and blue. First replica shirt i brought was 83/84 shirt as i had just started earning money. Brought a new 1 every year since then. I think most of them ended up on the walls of bars around Europe. Mind i have still got my 86 wang shirt, prized possession.

We've been randomly wearing other colours away from home for 40 odd years and I'm not sure that it's had any impact on our identity. Even when wearing white/orange/black etc we still sing "yellows" or "yellow army" etc.
It's only been in the last 20 years, not 40, that we have consistently been wearing alternative colours when not actually needing to.
All through the 80s and 90s, bar one season, we only changed colours for a handful of away games each season when a kit clash meant we had to.

Ref the excellent oxfordkits.com website

It's only been in the last 20 years, not 40, that we have consistently been wearing alternative colours when not actually needing to.
All through the 80s and 90s, bar one season, we only changed colours for a handful of away games each season when a kit clash meant we had to.

Ref the excellent oxfordkits.com website
I remember several games a season in the 80's and even more so in the 90's when we wore an away kit, and we actively promoted them through the club shop. This is nothing new and none of these diluted our identify, and there's no reason to believe it will now.

Colour doesn’t play a critical role in the psyche of the UK but it certainly does elsewhere. For instance, in Thailand, yellow is the colour of the King and royalty, so reasonable to think that Tiger has been very happy it is now the predominant colour of the U’s. I say now because it used to be amber when I first became a fan.
. However , in Indonesia, yellow represents fear and cowardice, and a yellow traffic light is a sign to be careful and slow down. So Mr Bakrie might not be so enthusiastic. A possible point of contention down the road?

I remember several games a season in the 80's and even more so in the 90's when we wore an away kit, and we actively promoted them through the club shop. This is nothing new and none of these diluted our identify, and there's no reason to believe it will now.
Of course we did, but only in the games where we had to, apart from one season. And, I never said they weren't promoted, just how often they were actually worn.

Take a look at the site referenced, and it will show you the colours worn in every match in the 80s and 90s, and up to now.

Just wait until the FA sanction different sponsors for each of the home/away/third kits and the sponsors deal includes a minimum of fifteen matches with at least three being home games.....

We didn’t lose ? Draw away - what’s the problem

Reading that Oxford retook the knee whereas Sunderland didn’t and some of the Sunderland booed, so popped onto their forum and a couple of nuggets I picked up on.

Can anyone tell me what taking the knee has actually achieved?

Regarding that comment I and others are wondering similar when there was a much more proactive campaign in “ kick it out “ at first it had a meaningful purpose especially batter the George Floyd murder.

Then there was this little Gem.

Our fans include a sizeable amount of racists sadly

But the question is will Sunderland do anything about it?

Reading that Oxford retook the knee whereas Sunderland didn’t and some of the Sunderland booed, so popped onto their forum and a couple of nuggets I picked up on.

Can anyone tell me what taking the knee has actually achieved?

Regarding that comment I and others are wondering similar when there was a much more proactive campaign in “ kick it out “ at first it had a meaningful purpose especially batter the George Floyd murder.

Then there was this little Gem.

Our fans include a sizeable amount of racists sadly

But the question is will Sunderland do anything about it?
Whilst we still have Oxford fans booing the taking of the knee I don't think we are in any position to judge others.

Whilst we still have Oxford fans booing the taking of the knee I don't think we are in any position to judge others.
I got this on the wrong thread hopefully the mods can move this to the Sunderland v Oxford thread.
Tbh I haven’t hear much booing in recent games, I know we had some earlier on which was shameful and I know clubs are asking for these people to be pointed out to stewards but not sure what could be done apart from ejecting them which could cause problems. But in Oxford case it is in such a small minority ( which isn’t an excuse ) whereas Sunderland it apparently it were quite a few doing it.

I got this on the wrong thread hopefully the mods can move this to the Sunderland v Oxford thread.
Tbh I haven’t hear much booing in recent games, I know we had some earlier on which was shameful and I know clubs are asking for these people to be pointed out to stewards but not sure what could be done apart from ejecting them which could cause problems. But in Oxford case it is in such a small minority ( which isn’t an excuse ) whereas Sunderland it apparently it were quite a few doing it.
Meh, they’re a bit behind the times up there.

Back
Top Bottom