Come on vale

We have enough teams to play that are Southern.

Plymouth,Exeter,Bristol Rovers, Cheltenham, Forest Green, Portsmouth, MK Dons, and potentially Wycombe.

Adding Scum to that list I’d see it as overcrowded, and I want them to suffer for as long as possible. W**kers.

No not this year as I have said there is too much distraction around them,a number of our fans think beating Swindon is the be all and end all of a season as long as we don’t go down.
Maybe ,not for me.To go up you've got to be good enough ,&sweep all the other teams away. No matter who they are. Top two ideal, not the lottery play offs that's what we want.

I moved to Wantage in 2006 and was surprised at how many swindon there were.

I get the impression that there are possibly more swindon than Oxford, but there's no question that Oxford are more visible.

For the most part there seems to be a truce.

The odd reading dickhead but for the most part they're not worth thinking about.

Wantage is probably 70:30 in favour of Oxford nowadays, no question.

The three teams I hate the most, as an Oxford fan, and in order are Swindon, Luton and Wycombe ..... just need Sunderland to do it tomorrow for a glorious play off failure treble !!!

The three teams I hate the most, as an Oxford fan, and in order are Swindon, Luton and Wycombe ..... just need Sunderland to do it tomorrow for a glorious play off failure treble !!!
Dear oh dear.

Clearly been too long since we've played Reading for some!

1. Swindon.
2. Reading.

That's it.
Only two derbies.
Rivalry with Luton fair enough, but not a derby.

Dear oh dear.

1. Swindon.
2. Reading.

That's it.
Only two derbies.

Reading are just so ‘meh’ though. I can’t get worked up by them.

Swindon are our main rival. I look forward to the spiciness of a Luton game but if we drew Reading in the cup or in a league game I’d treat it very much like playing Wycombe. A game where both sides take a big following but without the needle or edge that a Swindon game has.

It may be different for those from the Thames Valley Royals era.

Same as ,Shrivenham, &Faringdon.Even a couple in Witney.I' ve always struggled with that one,part of Oxfordshire is red.The only thing I can think of ,cause they are on the border of Wiltshire & it's closer toS******n.
Mind you last time I went to Thame, lads walking around in Wycombe shirts.When I worked in Thame 40 odd years ago they were all yellows.Wycombe weren't even in the league.

You say that. But Faringdon is much more 50/50 now compared to when I lived there in 2004. Don't forget Faringdon, Wantage etc originally were in Berkshire to 1974. Also when we were in the top division in the 80s , football wasn't an inviting place for families like it is now and also hardly any games were televised. Swindon and Reading have both been in the renamed top flight (premiership) and have had alot more publicity that comes with it. Our fanbase it growing faster than both teams in my opinion.

Dear oh dear.

1. Swindon.
2. Reading.

That's it.
Only two derbies.

Each to their own. I've never felt that same intensity with Reading, even when we played them more regularly, I don't know why but just the way it is. I originate from between Oxford and Luton and that was always a feisty fixture going back to the 70's so that's probably where that rivalry stems from. Wycombe have just become like an annoying little kid, I never see them as a rival as such but have just grown to hate them and their skanky ways - probably a lot to do with the likes of Ainsworth, Akinfenwa etc. Swindon needs no explanation and the fact I reside halfway between us and them has helped reaffirm everything I've ever felt about them.

I never said I regard them all as derbies, it was about who I had the most hatred for. As it happens I do only really see Swindon and Reading as proper derbies but just cannot get that same intensity about Reading.

Swindon are our main rival. I look forward to the spiciness of a Luton game but if we drew Reading in the cup or in a league game I’d treat it very much like playing Wycombe. A game where both sides take a big following but without the needle or edge that a Swindon game has.

Pre Thames Valley Royals, it was more spicy & dodgy walking down Oxford road to Elms park .Than S*****n on a couple of occasions.

Pre Thames Valley Royals, it was more spicy & dodgy walking down Oxford road to Elms park .Than S*****n on a couple of occasions
You say that. But Faringdon is much more 50/50 now compared to when I lived there in 2004. Don't forget Faringdon, Wantage etc originally were in Berkshire to 1974. Also when we were in the top division in the 80s , football wasn't an inviting place for families like it is now and also hardly any games were televised. Swindon and Reading have both been in the renamed top flight (premiership) and have had alot more publicity that comes with it. Our fanbase it growing faster than both teams in my opinion.
Oxford United is the only professional team in Oxfordshire. The population of Oxfordshire is roughly 700,000.I wouldn't say our 8000 average is that fantastic.We could do better.

Pre Thames Valley Royals, it was more spicy & dodgy walking down Oxford road to Elms park .Than S*****n on a couple of occasions

Oxford United is the only professional team in Oxfordshire. The population of Oxfordshire is roughly 700,000.I wouldn't say our 8000 average is that fantastic.We could do better.

Yes and we had our best average attendance for 34 years last season in a ground we all hate and in a pandemic. Let's see if we can build on it next season !

Agree,the fact that we couldn’t sell our home allocation v MK in a must win game says a lot

Our friends down the A420 averaged just under a thousand more than us

Reading have the advantage of many years in the top two tiers with a very nice stadium and lots of young fans who may have only gone to see the top teams initially but then became fans of the Royals

Maybe on day when we move and are in a higher division we will attract a constant higher support

Agree,the fact that we couldn’t sell our home allocation v MK in a must win game says a lot

Our friends down the A420 averaged just under a thousand more than us

Reading have the advantage of many years in the top two tiers with a very nice stadium and lots of young fans who may have only gone to see the top teams initially but then became fans of the Royals

Maybe on day when we move and are in a higher division we will attract a constant higher support

They were doing a MK Dons and giving tickets away though. It’s not the amount you get through the gates (or not in the case of Buckinghamshires finest) but the amount you get to pay a proper amount of money to watch you. I will bet a fair look at ours and there books would show we made a lot more on ticket sales than them.

They were doing a MK Dons and giving tickets away though. It’s not the amount you get through the gates (or not in the case of Buckinghamshires finest) but the amount you get to pay a proper amount of money to watch you. I will bet a fair look at ours and there books would show we made a lot more on ticket sales than them.
Yes that is true, but according to a Swindon fan I know that accounts for around 500 tickets per match.

They have always had slightly larger gates than us historically

Reading is the model we should look at for years they had poor gates at Elm Park. Swindon and Oxford were getting double their gates when we were in the same division.
Then Madjeski happened and took them on a journey and they haven’t looked backed, we were also taken on a journey but in the other direction. With the right investment we could have stayed in the second tier with a completed stadium but that was ruined by a greedy ogre of a man who has put us through 20 years of hell,Even though he is not the owner he still has control of us.
Hopefully our new owners will take us to the promised land

Back
Top Bottom