National News Cost of Living Crisis

Not sure who says "I`m OK?" or "to hell with everyone else" ........ that's a bit of an assumption.

I would rather hear the reality than media fluff about £4k+ fuel bills. Nobody, yet, has got anywhere near that figure and there is a broad church in here.

Now this might sound brutal, and I apologise in advance if that is how anyone reads it, but you say you won`t be able to afford energy, I get that, yet you can afford another child?

Hope the blood test works out well, and I would be reminding the Midwifery service of the 10-week guidance.
It is not "media fluff" - as posted above this is the prediction by OFGEM (ie the UK energy regulator)/Cornwall Insight consultants for the bill for the average household (for whose bill last year would have been just over £1000) on a dual fuel variable tariff, for January 23 after the predicted 2 rises. Unless things have changed a lot OFGEM report to Kwasi Kwarteng not Rupert Murdoch.

Not sure who says "I`m OK?" or "to hell with everyone else" ........ that's a bit of an assumption.

I would rather hear the reality than media fluff about £4k+ fuel bills. Nobody, yet, has got anywhere near that figure and there is a broad church in here.

Now this might sound brutal, and I apologise in advance if that is how anyone reads it, but you say you won`t be able to afford energy, I get that, yet you can afford another child?

Hope the blood test works out well, and I would be reminding the Midwifery service of the 10-week guidance.
Was debating whether to reply to this last night, but will give it a go now the adrenaline from Swansea has worn off.

Ok, you never actively said those things. And maybe this is just a me thing, but to me the fact you needed to make this thread trying to poke holes and find flaws in what are very real problems for people, even if maybe the media exaggerates them somewhat, it comes across very snobbish. Maybe not your intention, but that's how you often come across on several threads. I agree that the "£4k+ fuel bills" stories the media are peddling are a scare tactic to sell papers, but what it also does is completely mask the fact that, despite their exaggeration, this is still a very real, and very scary problem for a lot of people - and it allows people who are perhaps in a more fortunate position to brush it off far too lightly, which as someone who is going to struggle, your post reads that way.

Like I said, I am in a fairly typical family unit and probably somewhere in the 40-45% range with regards to wages in the UK and this winter and beyond is going to be one hell of a struggle - not because of £4k+ but because of the reality of my bills - which leaves me dreadfully concerned for anyone unfortunate enough to have a lower income than I do because I know they will actively have to choose between going into debt, skipping meals or heating their home. A position absolutely no one should have to be in in this day and age. All while energy companies post record profits.

And yes, a little brutal, but also valid. I'm not going to go into detail about my finances or my baby making exploits for obvious reasons. But sometimes things happen that aren't in your plan and you have to adjust. Sometimes a few things. In this case one of those things is energy prices reaching astronomical heights. In January affording a second child would have been no problem. Now it will be a problem. I've done nothing wrong, my family has done nothing wrong, but for some reason our backwards country decided that putting a proper cap on the energy rises like the rest of Europe has to protect the most vulnerable in the country wasn't worth bothering with.

Was debating whether to reply to this last night, but will give it a go now the adrenaline from Swansea has worn off.

Ok, you never actively said those things. And maybe this is just a me thing, but to me the fact you needed to make this thread trying to poke holes and find flaws in what are very real problems for people, even if maybe the media exaggerates them somewhat, it comes across very snobbish. Maybe not your intention, but that's how you often come across on several threads. I agree that the "£4k+ fuel bills" stories the media are peddling are a scare tactic to sell papers, but what it also does is completely mask the fact that, despite their exaggeration, this is still a very real, and very scary problem for a lot of people - and it allows people who are perhaps in a more fortunate position to brush it off far too lightly, which as someone who is going to struggle, your post reads that way.

Like I said, I am in a fairly typical family unit and probably somewhere in the 40-45% range with regards to wages in the UK and this winter and beyond is going to be one hell of a struggle - not because of £4k+ but because of the reality of my bills - which leaves me dreadfully concerned for anyone unfortunate enough to have a lower income than I do because I know they will actively have to choose between going into debt, skipping meals or heating their home. A position absolutely no one should have to be in in this day and age. All while energy companies post record profits.

And yes, a little brutal, but also valid. I'm not going to go into detail about my finances or my baby making exploits for obvious reasons. But sometimes things happen that aren't in your plan and you have to adjust. Sometimes a few things. In this case one of those things is energy prices reaching astronomical heights. In January affording a second child would have been no problem. Now it will be a problem. I've done nothing wrong, my family has done nothing wrong, but for some reason our backwards country decided that putting a proper cap on the energy rises like the rest of Europe has to protect the most vulnerable in the country wasn't worth bothering with.
That’s incredibly restrained of you. It’s generally not worth engaging with that guy, he’s a smug prat who’s just here to troll.

I'm not going to go into detail about my finances or my baby making exploits for obvious reasons. But sometimes things happen that aren't in your plan and you have to adjust. Sometimes a few things. In this case one of those things is energy prices reaching astronomical heights. In January affording a second child would have been no problem. Now it will be a problem. I've done nothing wrong, my family has done nothing wrong, but for some reason our backwards country decided that putting a proper cap on the energy rises like the rest of Europe has to protect the most vulnerable in the country wasn't worth bothering with.
Congrats on the baby, hope all goes well and you get the help (and appointments) you need.

I would suggest that if you need any contraceptive help in future, just think of @Essexyellows .

Heatwave warnings - you need telling to keep out of the sun and drink water when it's hot? Really?

Fuel price cap. Nothing but fear-mongering. Who the feck is using £4k`s worth of gas & leccy unless they are running a grow house?

Petrol prices. Going down, back to £1.70 locally.

NHS Dentists: Popped in to make a check-up appointment thinking I might need to wait a week or three - tomorrow at 11.am. Big sign in the window "We are registering NHS Patients".

NHS (General) - Been receiving great treatment, once you get past the GP - helps if you know the system and don`t get shouty.

Local chemist - bit flaky with communications from the GP but not bad, very busy.
I'm with you. I don't get it. Why can't everyone be close to retirement with an inflation proofed final salary pension beckoning, with either no mortgage or a soon to be repaid mortgage, having just received a significant inheritance and have no children at home. I mean if you can do it why can't everyone else? Lazy scroungers.

Heatwave warnings - you need telling to keep out of the sun and drink water when it's hot? Really?

Fuel price cap. Nothing but fear-mongering. Who the feck is using £4k`s worth of gas & leccy unless they are running a grow house?

NHS Dentists: Popped in to make a check-up appointment thinking I might need to wait a week or three - tomorrow at 11.am. Big sign in the window "We are registering NHS Patients".

NHS (General) - Been receiving great treatment, once you get past the GP - helps if you know the system and don`t get shouty.

Local chemist - bit flaky with communications from the GP but not bad, very busy.

I got this off the BBC website -

Rising cost of groceries​

How much have food and drink items gone up in price?​

At the top of the table:-
Low fat milk 26.3%
Butter 21.5%
Mineral or spring waters 19.5%

...and at the bottom of the table:-
Beer (except lager) 3.6%
Confectionery (inc sweets, toffee, chewing gum) 2.7%
Lager 2.0%
Cocoa and powdered chocolate 1.8%
Wine 1.4 %
Chocolate 0.8%
Spirits (inc vodka, gin, rum, whisky) -0.4%

So I think we can conclude from this, that the most economical way to survive the winter is to get f**king p*ssed!!! 🤣 🤣 🍻🥂🍷🥃🍸🍾

Should have been clearer really.......... sorry.
It re-sets on Sunday night so the £3.28 is both fuels (gas & electric) up to Wednesday mid-day(ish).
The "budget" is a bit of an arbitrary line on the meter. It turns red as you get close and/or go over.
So that's roughly £1.10 a day so far this week.

Perhaps when you next go one of your ‘management’ courses about Maslow’s hierarchy of needs you might actually listen.

I do sometimes wonder, with regards to your comments and responses.
In particular:
“Price Cap”- the figures are very much a reality.
If the “ average” for a MODEST 2/3 bed home was £1300 before 1st April, then £4000 is highly probable.

can we not call it a cap it seems inappropriate as it isn’t what people expect.
Only as long as we or the Government twits don't start calling it "Smart" - then we are in even greater trouble.

How can we be having a heatwave crisis? Apparently it's coming from Europe? I thought we left!!!!???? Brexit means Brexit!!!!

Then put up a fence along the White Cliffs.

feels odd to me that It’s going to be 34 degrees this weekend and I’m going to be chopping up a load of free logs I got given for my log burner. No doubt I’ll pay myself on the back at Christmas.

• React
Reactions: m

bagdad-bob.jpg

Perhaps when you next go one of your ‘management’ courses about Maslow’s hierarchy of needs you might actually listen.
That’s a few years back for me when I was in banking

I work in the energy industry on the commercial side of things. One business I am dealing with is currently spending £20k a year on gas, their renewal quote had a projected spend of £200k.

Those costs either get passed onto the consumer (which will add to inflation) or the business will have to reduce costs by any means possible. If you think the energy crisis won't effect you because of your own personal circumstances, you are very much mistaken. Pubs, restaurants, gyms, football clubs, will all suffer.

I work in the energy industry on the commercial side of things. One business I am dealing with is currently spending £20k a year on gas, their renewal quote had a projected spend of £200k.

Those costs either get passed onto the consumer (which will add to inflation) or the business will have to reduce costs by any means possible. If you think the energy crisis won't effect you because of your own personal circumstances, you are very much mistaken. Pubs, restaurants, gyms, football clubs, will all suffer.
Wait until football clubs have to start turning the floodlights on after the next price rise on October 1. It’s going to cost a huge amount of money to stage games this winter. The EFL has already been advised to consider moving all Saturday 3pm kickoffs forward to 12:30 or 1 so as to eliminate the need to use them outside of evening fixtures, but as per they aren’t interested.

Bloke on the radio today said he’s been told his chip shop running costs are about to go up fifteen fold in terms of gas and electric. He pointed out that to put such a rise in perspective, that’s like someone paying £1.80 for petrol today being told they need to pay £27 per litre at the end of next month.