Sport Cricket - Summer 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you've just got to applaud that finish, but massive drop just before the flood of sixes.

Come on NZ...

The two form sides from the group stage depart. Such is the luck for T20s. Two successful chases too.

dropping catches in (T20) cricket is a bit like missing, or not scoring, a penalty in football ... if good chances ain't taken, you generally deserve what you get ...(or something like that)

dropping catches in (T20) cricket is a bit like missing, or not scoring, a penalty in football ... if good chances ain't taken, you generally deserve what you get ...(or something like that)

Agreed, although it's rare that it's quite as starkly obvious as it was today.
Nowhere for the fielder to hide when the last over goes Drop-6-6-6.....Game Over!

There'll be a new winner on Sunday - neither the Aussies or the Kiwis have ever won the t20 WC. Obviously hoping it's the latter!

Agreed, although it's rare that it's quite as starkly obvious as it was today.
Nowhere for the fielder to hide when the last over goes Drop-6-6-6.....Game Over!

There'll be a new winner on Sunday - neither the Aussies or the Kiwis have ever won the t20 WC. Obviously hoping it's the latter!
me too .... the convicts are proven cheats

I’d been avoiding this as I was so gutted at the time, really thought we had this in the bag at halfway through NZ’s innings.

Definitely a poor result, a collapse, but I think there’s been some harsh and incorrect comments on here re England, with the wrong players blamed.

Malan and Ali may have seemed a bit slow at times but they were playing the pitch and the bowling as it was at the time, they both ended up with a better strike rate than Buttler and Bairstow. 41 off 30 and 51 off 47 isn’t too bad, but they didn’t have anyone else backing them up. Not the best numbers I agree but we had a score that could potentially have been defended, albeit around 180 would have been nicer.

The bowlers however were very poor (apart from Liam Livingstone who was once again superb). Woakes seemed to give up and run out of ideas, and Rashid and Jordan were also massively expensive.

As for the injuries, Tymall Mills may have been expensive over the tournament but clearly less so than Mark Wood, so that did cost us. And Jason Roy would have been better than Bairstow as an opener, so we lost runs in both players being out for sure. If we’d have both fit that would unarguably have been a closer game. (I’d be tempted to have Bairstow out of the team TBH)

Morgan’s captaincy is an interesting one, he clearly wouldn’t get in the team on his batting alone when everyone is fit, but he seems to be respected by the players and he made some good choices, but like anyone can crumble under the pressure when placed in uncomfortable situations that he’s not used to. Not sure why Mooen Ali didn’t bowl against NZ when he’s been our most economical bowler in the tournament. The Alex Hales situation is an unfortunate one as he’s been one of the best English T20 batsmen for a while. Problem is who would replace Morgan? Buttler maybe, but would you want to take away from him batting?

Also it’s insane to want Malan, the top ranked T20 batsman in the world recently, out, but then want Joe Root in?! Malan’s job is to anchor the innings and bat around the big hitters, which is what Root’s would be. Root would be just as slow as him, and also is our only good test batsman - we don’t need him in T20 cricket where we’re stacked anyway! I wouldn’t even let him play 50 over cricket let alone 20!

Overall then disappointing to go out at the semis having lost to both South Africa and New Zealand. Joss Buttler our player of the tournament but Moeen Ali runs him close, with the second best batting average combined with being the most economical bowler. Liam Livingstone also played brilliantly. Those three can all absolutely hold their heads high, everyone else should at least ponder what they could have done better…

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the prediction of win the toss, bat second and win proved to be correct.

I don't know why they didn't play the games in the earlier slot (10 am our time) as it would have negated the 'dew' factor.

TV considerations on the subcontinent more than likely.

Yes Aggers was saying as such, early in the tournament and the concern that the toss might effectively decide by semis and the final.

Mills was super expensive and was very replaceable.

We had that in the bag until the last 4 overs - 15-19.

Wood has been poor and is not a t20 bowler.

Jordan went to pot, Rashid not much better and that over from Woakes was almost like he’s given up the chase.

To not get a single over out of Mooen was arrogant by Morgan. He thought he’d done enough by getting 4 out of Livingstone who himself should have opened …

Billings was a wasted pick and Willey should have played instead. Few overs, left arm, good pinch hitter. Morgan has always had his favourites and will be remembered for the World Cup win which was fortunate and the bottle job of today.

Time for Morgan to go.
I've only just seen this fabulous piece of bitter after-sight which certainly contains some truths but also completely ignores the way momentum switches in 20/20 cricket, both in a game and in a run of games. Look at Australia, heavily criticised after the first couple of games (Warne in particular) - suddenly Warner hits some form, Mitch Marsh comes in and hey presto.

It wasn't 'arrogance' by Morgan not to bowl Ali, it was a mistake - he thought (wrongly, as it turned out) that the pace bowlers could see it out. You certainly wouldn't have foreseen both Woakes and Jordan taking a pasting, alongside Rashid's worst performance.

Oh and Mills only conceded 4.25 and 6.75 an over in the first two games, although over 11 in the second two.

I also watched the bookies odds of both games change when the New Zealand and Australia won the tosses and put the opposition in - both teams odds shortened because of the conditions.

I think Morgan's time probably has come to a close, in spite of ushering the one day and 20/20 squads into the new era and winning a 'fortunate' world cup - yes, luck was on his side but you had build the team and win the games to be there in the first place..

Team winning the toss and chasing making it look very comfortable.

Kind of galling to see it bearing in mind the trouncing England gave Australia in the group stage. The Aussies have peaked at the right time.

It’s not India winning it, I guess …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom