Sport Cricket - Winter 2021/2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right thing to do for the team and for Root imo. But it is still just moving the deckchairs around until the ECB actually give some domestic focus on the 4 day game rather than rubbish like the Hundred.

Give Parkinson a go from LaLancs.
Parkinson seems to have started the season well which is good news. I hope that any new Coach and captain are braver especially on the spinner front (Warne probably wouldn't have made it under Roots captaincy!)
Overton also is having a really good start to the season.

Parkinson seems to have started the season well which is good news. I hope that any new Coach and captain are braver especially on the spinner front (Warne probably wouldn't have made it under Roots captaincy!)
Overton also is having a really good start to the season.

I have to admit, I don’t watch a lot of county cricket, but whenever I’ve seen Parkinson, I’ve liked what I’ve seen. I just wish we would give these players a good run in the test team, because I don’t like the way we’ve kept staying with the old guard. Bess, and Leach just aren’t good enough at test level. They’ve had lots of opportunities, and it’s about time we tried bringing in new blood. We’ve not had a decent spinner since Swann retired, and I think Parkinson is a good option.

I have read a lot of stuff in the press that Stokes should be captain. I think it would ruin him. All rounders have enough to do without being captain. Plus he does get injured quite often.
I would bring in a new face who isn't part of the clique .
Someone like Tom Abell who has done a very good job at Somerset as captain and is a decent batsman. Can bowl a bit of medium pace as well.

I have read a lot of stuff in the press that Stokes should be captain. I think it would ruin him. All rounders have enough to do without being captain. Plus he does get injured quite often.
Someone like Tom Abell who has done a very good job at Somerset as captain and is a decent batsman. Can bowl a bit of medium pace as well.
The trouble is what happens if he isn't suited to Test cricket?
If he gets no runs and England struggle. Talk about pressure.
I think that there is little choice but for Stojes to take it on ( if he doesn't want it, then reluctantly Broad for a year or 2)
If Abell is good enough, then hopefully he will be picked and if he does well then maybe in a couple of years?

I can only recall one time when we picked a captain who had not already been part of the side - and that was Chris Cowdrey back in 1988.
He also happened to be the Chairman of Selector's godson and only lasted a single Test!

I tend to agree on Stokes, so I would probably actually give it to Broad for a year or two.

And then hope that someone else can actually establish themselves as a viable Test batsman and potential captain candidate before he retires!

I can only recall one time when we picked a captain who had not already been part of the side - and that was Chris Cowdrey back in 1988.
He also happened to be the Chairman of Selector's godson and only lasted a single Test!

I tend to agree on Stokes, so I would probably actually give it to Broad for a year or two.

And then hope that someone else can actually establish themselves as a viable Test batsman and potential captain candidate before he retires!
Tony Lewis did in the early 70s
Mike Brearley only had a handful when he took over. Perhaps pick someone like Abell for a series first and see how he goes. It might work, it's worth a go as our batting apart from one man has been fairly poor of late.

Quite frankly it doesn’t matter who is captain sadly although it needs to be a player who deserves to be in the side to be captain and won’t have a dip in form. For me it also needs to be someone to do the job for longer than the next 12-18 months.

Quite frankly it doesn’t matter who is captain sadly although it needs to be a player who deserves to be in the side to be captain and won’t have a dip in form. For me it also needs to be someone to do the job for longer than the next 12-18 months.
All players have dips in form even Root. The thing is these days more than ever you not only need to be a decent player to be captain, you also have to be a very good tactician and Root wasn't. Some of our losses in recent times were as simple as winning the toss and very obviously choosing the wrong option. The coaching staff also have a lot to answer for.

All players have dips in form even Root. The thing is these days more than ever you not only need to be a decent player to be captain, you also have to be a very good tactician and Root wasn't. Some of our losses in recent times were as simple as winning the toss and very obviously choosing the wrong option. The coaching staff also have a lot to answer for.
Unfortunately at the time Root was virtually the nailed on choice as captain. I wasn’t sure at the time tactics wise regarding his captaincy as he had hardly ever captained Yorkshire. As for dips in form the difference with Root and all others in the team is his dip in form he still averages more than the rest most of the time. If anyone else has a dip in form the talk is of them being dropped, Bairstow Butler and many other of the batsmen Root aside are testament to this.

If those are your criteria - has to be assured of his place in the side on merit, and has to be able to do the job for a minimum of two years - then I think there's literally only one candidate. Ben Stokes.

But all-rounders have such a tough job already, and the track record is horrific - Botham & Flintoff were both absolute disasters when they took the reins.

Plus, remember Stokes took a leave of absence less than a year ago to protect his mental well being. To now pile the pressure of captaincy on him, on top of already expecting him to be England's talisman, seems like a borderline irresponsible thing to do.

So I think you have to remove one of those criteria.
Either give in to Broad short term and hope to find a replacement before he retires.
Or you bring in someone, as suggested, who's got a great track record as captain but wouldn't normally be assured a place in the team.

Hmm.. someone who's had experience of test cricket and captains at domestic level, James Vince? Rory Burns captains Surrey I think, but then he was dropped for the Caribbean. There's not a lot there, but I would worry about giving it to Stokes for the reasons mentioned above. I'm sure if asked to do it he would, he's never let his country down. But the intense pressure and scrutiny of being England test captain is probably not the right thing to give to a man who has so recently been battling his mental health?

Sam Billings @ Kent could do a job, and of course he'd be about the sixth Wicketkeeper we could pick in the side.

If those are your criteria - has to be assured of his place in the side on merit, and has to be able to do the job for a minimum of two years - then I think there's literally only one candidate. Ben Stokes.

But all-rounders have such a tough job already, and the track record is horrific - Botham & Flintoff were both absolute disasters when they took the reins.

Plus, remember Stokes took a leave of absence less than a year ago to protect his mental well being. To now pile the pressure of captaincy on him, on top of already expecting him to be England's talisman, seems like a borderline irresponsible thing to do.

Either give in to Broad short term and hope to find a replacement before he retires.
Or you bring in someone, as suggested, who's got a great track record as captain but wouldn't normally be assured a place in the team.
For me then it will have to a short term appointment but short term appointments aren’t great for long term gains as more change and upheaval. We don’t need anymore players in the side not pulling their weight (see 2021 England batting stats). Has to be Broad then as Stokes already has enough to deal with.

Agreed Tony. To make Stokes captain would be madness IMO for the very reasons you've outlined. I honestly don't think it would last long !!

Perhaps pick someone like Abell for a series first and see how he goes. It might work, it's worth a go as our batting apart from one man has been fairly poor of late.
Abell made 150 not out (22 fours) against Surrey today one of the best county attacks batting at 3.
Let's see how he goes from now until the end of May when the team for the first test against NZ is picked.

Agreed Tony. To make Stokes captain would be madness IMO for the very reasons you've outlined. I honestly don't think it would last long !!
I kind if agree but reckon it will be Stokes.
The only real alternative is Broad. And that won't last that long!
I would go for Broad until somebody younger comes in snd establishes themselves. He is aggressive and has attitude- not a bad thing at the moment

I kind if agree but reckon it will be Stokes.
The only real alternative is Broad. And that won't last that long!
I would go for Broad until somebody younger comes in snd establishes themselves. He is aggressive and has attitude- not a bad thing at the moment

Choosing Broad would not be good for the team's use of reviews as he'd use them all in his opening spell!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom