CWC 19 Australia V Bangladesh

Bangladesh going well, you would think for them to get close then they need tamim and shakib to go big here

And then they lose another wicket.

It has (in the main part) been a really unexciting world cup so far IMO. Perhaps I'm odd in that I prefer watching close games to watching endless fours and sixes being clobbered off bowlers hamstrung by having to bowl with balls that won't swing or spin more then negligibly.

And then they lose another wicket.

It has (in the main part) been a really unexciting world cup so far IMO. Perhaps I'm odd in that I prefer watching close games to watching endless fours and sixes being clobbered off bowlers hamstrung by having to bowl with balls that won't swing or spin more then negligibly.
I agree. Closer games are far better.
Yesterdays game between NZ and S Africa was very good albeit quite low scoring.

I agree. Closer games are far better.
Yesterdays game between NZ and S Africa was very good albeit quite low scoring.
Yes, that's about the only game that's been close and it was a better sporting spectacle than most of the other have been.

264-4 ....8 overs left ... 118 to win

maybe a bit too much of an ask?

Great guts and courage being shown here from Bangladesh. They will probably fail, buts it’s been a brilliant effort. Mushfiquer showing he’s a fighter, and Mamadullah also. Tamin Iqbal had a better game with the bat opening, and was nice to see.

You're not alone.

I'd argue that there have actually been two good games so far - New Zealand vs. Bangladesh, and New Zealand vs. South Africa. And in neither game did either team score above 250. No real surprise that the Kiwis are involved in both because I still believe they're the side with the best seam attack.....but their batting is a little suspect.

Cricket is supposed to be a contest between bat and ball. Not a game of 'who can club this perfectly spherical leather orb with practically no seam the furthest'

The other problem is that it's been clear who the best four teams are from pretty early on. Barring Pakistan suddenly bringing the good version of their team out consistently for the rest of the group stage, I think we're now in for a more-than-two-week procession to an inevitable England/Australia/India/New Zealand semis. Between now and then, all we're really going to resolve is who plays who...…..

I'm not sure that the ' everybody plays everybody' and then semi final and final has worked.
Many predicted from the start the likely final 4.
As Tony has suggested the final 2 weeks of the group stages will be full of pretty meaningless games.
I reckon including Ireland and a couple more of the smaller nations, having fewer group games and then having a knock out from quarter finals onwards may have been more entertaining

I'm not sure that the ' everybody plays everybody' and then semi final and final has worked.
Many predicted from the start the likely final 4.
As Tony has suggested the final 2 weeks of the group stages will be full of pretty meaningless games.
I reckon including Ireland and a couple more of the smaller nations, having fewer group games and then having a knock out from quarter finals onwards may have been more entertaining
I think the likely final four would have been the same no matter the format. The problem is that there is a huge disparity between the quality and consistency of the top teams and the also-rans (cf the Womens World Cup) - adding a few more (Ireland, Holland, Namibia, Zimbabwe maybe) would just accentuate that. You're right, there are too many matches. I suspect the reason for that might be the advertising revenue every time India play!
The semi finals and final should be great fun though.

And then there's the Ashes...

Back
Top Bottom