CWC 19 England v Sri Lanka

Jeez! Moeen needed to stay with Stokes but went for an unnecessarily macho second successive six.

Oh dear ... win this n itll be bordering on a miracle

20 runs short ...bollox

have to beat NZ, India and Aussies then

Please play Plunkett next game. I have had enough of Mo now. And if Roy is unfit call up Hales and chuck Vince out. He is not up to it.

Vince is not good enough. Even when he gets in, he gets out!

The bowling was OK, but our much vaunted batting was terrible. What was Moeen doing? All he had to do was stay there with Stokes and he suddenly thinks he is Chris Gayle! Not so much poor technique by many batsman, more a question of a lack of clear thinking.

Last edited:
My big worry with England was about mental strength and twice when under a bit of pressure we have buckled. It’s easy to win in a series but a World Cup in your own backyard is an altogether different situation. Against Pakistan we should’ve battled first also.

A bad day at the office for England’s batsman. With the exception of Root and Stokes. The others were pretty soft dismissals. Vince must be replaced, and never to play for England again. He’s had so many chances to claim a place in the England team but always fails.

We move on and put this one behind us. Fair play to Sri Lanka for there brilliant bowling.

Well, that was good for the tournament. The India/Australia/New Zealand/England procession is done - we're at serious risk now.

We have to win one of our final games against the best three sides in the tournament (India/Oz/NZ) or we're done.
If we only win one, then we're going to have to rely on none of Pakistan/SL/Bangladesh/WI having an excellent finish to the group stage.

Certainly feels less nailed down than it did this morning when England were rampant, and Sri Lanka were a mess...….

A disappointing result indeed. So tense I had to stop listening!

It maybe does highlight England’s main weakness in that when a pitch doesn’t allow you to smash, bang, wallop, they maybe don’t have the temperament to deal with those slower pitches. There has to be a Plan B.

Vince is toast as an England player. The same manner of dismissal means he shouldn’t play again. Please let Jason Roy be back for the next game.

I do think they have it in them to get through to the semis as I don’t think NZ are as good as people make out and could be beatable. Australia have quietly gone about it (slow scoring Warner has effectively got to the top of the run scorer charts) but England have managed to find the beating of them before. India will be the toughest to beat.

Moeen has the brains of a rocking horse...utterly inept.
That said, happy it's come now. That was the performance I was fearing in the semi-final.
If we get there, of course!

I think England will beat India and Aussies en route to semi finals ... but will struggle against NZ

I genuinely think Stokes would have done that if only someone had stayed with him, he was playing out of his skin... why oh why couldn’t Moeen/Archer/Rashid just defended a few more balls and let him do his thing!

Having reflected on it, Moeen for all his positives, just needed to be a little smarter yesterday. He had Stokes set and playing well to the run rate, so really just needed to support him, rather than beat him. That shot precipitated a collapse of epic proportions.

Yesterday proved why England had to select Joe Denly over Vince. He just doesn't have the mentality to be an internation cricketer. For all the lovely looking shots, he has the brain and temperament of a piece of marble. A bad version of Mark Ramprakash.

I heard a journo from NZ on the radio this morning who provided a useful perspective. England are the best side in the tournament, yes they had a bad day, but there is no reason to panic or worry. Yes, the pressure is on, but it always has been for them

Having reflected on it, Moeen for all his positives, just needed to be a little smarter yesterday. He had Stokes set and playing well to the run rate, so really just needed to support him, rather than beat him. That shot precipitated a collapse of epic proportions.

Yesterday proved why England had to select Joe Denly over Vince. He just doesn't have the mentality to be an internation cricketer. For all the lovely looking shots, he has the brain and temperament of a piece of marble. A bad version of Mark Ramprakash.

I heard a journo from NZ on the radio this morning who provided a useful perspective. England are the best side in the tournament, yes they had a bad day, but there is no reason to panic or worry. Yes, the pressure is on, but it always has been for them
good overview that ^

Back
Top Bottom