Ashes News England V Ireland ashes warm up test match

Woakes has a fifer ... Broad has taken 4 (so far) .... less than 15 overs of Ireland's second innings and just one wicket left .... 7 mins to lunch ... will the last wicket go before 2pm?

Woakes has given the selectors a dilemma for Edgbaston next week.
Which one misses out, Anderson, Broad, Archer or Woakes, I reckon there will only be 3 of those 4 in the side.

Yeah his batting has gone to pot, but a lot of short memories on here regarding Moeen's bowling exploits in tests for England. Remember him coming back into the side during the India series and tearing them a new one? And that's with them being the supposed experts at playing spin. He takes test wickets at exactly the same rate as Swann.. and he wasn't bad was he?! His issue is that he is such a confidence player, and at the moment he seems rather short of it. Not excusing the horrific shots he gets out to sometimes - I find that as frustrating as anyone. And most annoying is that we all know he can bat, I mean you don't score 5 test centuries by accident. But I still firmly believe he's the best spin bowler in the country by a mile.

Let Moeen ball in domestic cricket to get some confidence would seem the logical answer whilst giving Jack Leach a go now.

Which one misses out, Anderson, Broad, Archer or Woakes, I reckon there will only be 3 of those 4 in the side.
Got to play Woakes at his home ground surely, especially as they say it will be a green wicket. I think Archer may miss out. He has had a side strain. Get him fit for later on. Broad has had an upturn in form this season. He needs to keep it up otherwise he could be vulnerable.

I'm not exactly sure what we can take from this match as far as the Ashes is concerned! Play like we did at the start and we'll be hammered. Play like we have in the second half and we will win every match (especially taking into account the warm up game the Aussies have just played).

I guess try and play like we have in the second half then...

Are you serious? Not all will play, but if they were all 100% fit and in form (and it wasn’t a real spinners pitch or something) I’d definitely play all of them! Especially as Broad and Woakes might easily score a handy 20-30 runs at the bottom of the order which could be vital with our batting ?

Sadly I think both Archer and Anderson might have injury concerns

Are you serious? Not all will play, but if they were all 100% fit and in form (and it wasn’t a real spinners pitch or something) I’d definitely play all of them! Especially as Broad and Woakes might easily score a handy 20-30 runs at the bottom of the order which could be vital with our batting ?

Sadly I think both Archer and Anderson might have injury concerns
Stokes will play based on his batting alone, so I'm assuming he will be our 4th seamer.
I'm also assuming we will not risk starting any Test this summer with no spinner, least of all Edgbaston which is invariably spinner friendly.
So to accommodate Anderson, Broad, Archer and Woakes would be at the expense of a batsman which would be a huge risk given our current batting form, so I suspect 1 of the 4 to miss out.
They will all be fit and available for selection according to Trevor Bayliss today.

Stokes will play based on his batting alone, so I'm assuming he will be our 4th seamer.
I'm also assuming we will not risk starting any Test this summer with no spinner, least of all Edgbaston which is invariably spinner friendly.
So to accommodate Anderson, Broad, Archer and Woakes would be at the expense of a batsman which would be a huge risk given our current batting form, so I suspect 1 of the 4 to miss out.
They will all be fit and available for selection according to Trevor Bayliss today.

Who would you leave out though? Broad and Woakes in form, Anderson is a legend and Archer has that raw pace and X-factor...

Who would you leave out though? Broad and Woakes in form, Anderson is a legend and Archer has that raw pace and X-factor...
Totally agree, it's a dilemma for the selectors.
Too many good players to choose from.
If only KR had the same problem!

Here’s what I’d do - mix it up a bit

1. Jason Roy
2. Moeen Ali
3. Chris Woakes
4. Joe Root
5. Johnny Bairstow
6. Jos Buttler
7. Ben Stokes
8. Sam Curran
9. Stuart Broad
10. Jofra Archer
11. James Anderson

That team is packed full of bowling and could Moeen and Woakes do any worse than Burns or Denly?

If there are doubts about the fitness of both Anderson & Archer, then one of them shouldn’t play, it’s too much of a risk.

From what we know I’d wrap Archer up in cotton wool for other tests this summer, play Anderson, Broad, Woakes, Stokes & Moeen at Edgbaston.

Went yesterday. England best in world at bowling in such conditions against a sub league 2 batting line up. They could barely get the ball off the square.

Why not open with Bairstow and Roy? I would keep Curran in; he delivers when the pressure is on. Moeen can’t buy a run and is now under severe pressure.

Archer to miss out this time.

A day out at Lord’s is superb. The stewards are fantastically friendly, facilities and catering are tip top. Really scores highly compared to woeful ‘Venue of Legends’ ; what a noxious visitor experience that is.

The only thing with Archer is he hasn't yet shown he can bowl effectively over a Test match (ie. 3 longer spells in a day for example) which is a major risk. He hasn't really shown it in domestic 1st class cricket either focusing on T20/One day cricket iirc.

Back
Top Bottom