National News The BBC

Almost certainly have an FM tuner on your mobile phone - listened to many an away game while shopping with Mrs O....
What app do you use? I have a Samsung Galaxy S20, can't find a radio app. Presuming it has a reciever, this would be ideal.

What app do you use? I have a Samsung Galaxy S20, can't find a radio app. Presuming it has a reciever, this would be ideal.
.... a cheap FM radio will do the business ( Argos n similar) ... Im no expert, but don't apps have an alignment to DAB radio- which emborgos during matches

.... a cheap FM radio will do the business ( Argos n similar) ... Im no expert, but don't apps have an alignment to DAB radio- which emborgos during matches
Apparently a bunch of phones have fm receivers. Was news to me.

I've got the Galaxy A51 and it's pre-loaded but it seems the S20 may have it or may not, depending on what processor you have - SnapDragon, yay! Exynos, bah!

You could always dig that old Nokia out of the "man draw". They always had a tuner - and it's probably still charged.....

Someone did make a good point earlier in praising BBC Oxford's football content and I must say I agree with that. So I can understand people have a fondness for it.

As an exile though it angers me that I have to theoretically pay twice for BBC Oxford if I'm outside of Oxfordshire 😅. I don't get that - we pay for BBC Oxford, just for them to give it to Ifollow to whack a further charge on?

Stuff like that just keeps me from having any level of warmth towards it.

The example that you give there is out of the hands of the BBC though. It’s an EFL decision on watching and listening rights and they decide that games cannot be played on streaming radio services. Your issue should be taken up with them.

It’s a bugbear of mine too. I don’t think the EFL will lose many signing up to iFollow if the radio commentary was available on BBC Sounds for the game. If I’m going to sit down and watch the game, I’ll be paying to do just that rather than pay a small sum to ‘watch’ radio commentary.

I’m lucky in that I’m in range for the FM frequency though. Many aren’t

The example that you give there is out of the hands of the BBC though. It’s an EFL decision on watching and listening rights and they decide that games cannot be played on streaming radio services. Your issue should be taken up with them.

It’s a bugbear of mine too. I don’t think the EFL will lose many signing up to iFollow if the radio commentary was available on BBC Sounds for the game. If I’m going to sit down and watch the game, I’ll be paying to do just that rather than pay a small sum to ‘watch’ radio commentary.

Rad ox fm has an impressively long range .... bristol area, at least half of m42, beyond winchester, beyond northampton , m25though drum n bass pirate stations invade the signal....yeovil area too

The app operates an FM receiver within the phone. You need to use headphones with a jack lead to act as an antenna.

Yes. I’ve found the apps only offer internet radio, so can’t tune into Oxford games even if I’m within the Oxfordshire area.

If the phones have an FM or DAB receiver, it would be incredibly useful.

Surely with today’s technology the EFL could allow radio commentary to be streamed live within the catchment area of the FM signal?
It would also be great if the EFL would at least allow the post match interviews to be live streamed over the internet, allowing fans that attend away games to listen to them on their way home.

The "Wasn't at the Game" show is streamed - it's only the match commentary that is embargoed

Did anyone else notice the moment on the BBC news at ten last night where they finished one report by showing 10 Downing Street lit in yellow and blue to match the Ukrainian flag .....

....but then went to their three reporters on the ground - Katja Adler, Sarah Smith and Laura kunesburgh - together in a split screen shot....

...... resplendent in their red, blue and white coats

Pretty conclusive evidence of something, I'd say...

Did anyone else notice the moment on the BBC news at ten last night where they finished one report by showing 10 Downing Street lit in yellow and blue to match the Ukrainian flag .....

....but then went to their three reporters on the ground - Katja Adler, Sarah Smith and Laura kunesburgh - together in a split screen shot....

Not sure if you're joking or not.

Have you seen the Putin apologists on Fox News pushing the Kremlin’s propaganda? Maybe our Government could look into sanctioning the owner of that media outlet as well as sanctioning Russia Today. 🤔

Surely with today’s technology the EFL could allow radio commentary to be streamed live within the catchment area of the FM signal?
It would also be great if the EFL would at least allow the post match interviews to be live streamed over the internet, allowing fans that attend away games to listen to them on their way home.
I listen to them before and after the match on the LRTC coach, as do others,live on BBC Sounds- Radio Oxford.

Last edited:
BBC Radio Oxford FM 95.2 FM ( non Digital) is available live in an actually quite a wide broadcast area* ... coverage starts at 2.05 pm (after the news) - 705pm night matches- with pre-match build-up, live match coverage, then 'wasn't at the game' (from 5 pm) until 6 pm - night games post-match till 10 pm

Its the digital broadcast that is embargoed/ blocked between 2. 58 pm and around 5 pm on Saturdays

* radio in my car is FM analogue (non-digital), Ive picked up matchday coverage+ pre-match n post-match coverage while driving as far south-west as Yeovil/ Taunton, south, beyond Winchester, South (east) around Guilford, East as far as M25 ( when pirate Drum n Bass stations 'invade' the airwaves) , East/ North East way beyond Northamton, North west just beyond Evesham/ Worcester area, North , around the M42/ M6 (non-toll) Junction.... Radio Oxford has an impressively far-reaching non digital broadcast signal

Last edited:
Thanks Sarge. Knowledgeable as ever. I will certainly try some of those locations you suggested. I find the car can pick up the longest distances.
I just find the restrictions a complete nonsense. Anyone who wants to listen outside the Oxfordshire area is clearly a fan who at some point lived here.
Why restrict coverage. What are they trying to achieve?

Back
Top Bottom