Ex Player Ex-Player Thread

He was a weird one. Up and coming player >> in first team >> Mirror article on the day of the Man City game >> dropped entirely from the squad >> out of the door in about ten minutes flat.
It was a Guardian article as well, which didn’t seem controversial. Very odd

Not an ex-player per se, but relevant to Division 3, and I can’t see another thread elsewhere so….

Now that Michael Appleton has left Lincoln City, where do correspondents anticipate that he will do half-a-job, next?

Some wag on Spacebook suggested back to Pompey, but I really can’t see it.

Not an ex-player per se, but relevant to Division 3, and I can’t see another thread elsewhere so….

Now that Michael Appleton has left Lincoln City, where do correspondents anticipate that he will do half-a-job, next?

Some wag on Spacebook suggested back to Pompey, but I really can’t see it.
It's been suggested he might have a rest, or be a coach at Man U. QPR should give him a go, but unfortunately finishing so low with Lincoln means he'd be a hard sell for the fans. You're right that he doesn't tend to stick around to finish the job, whether that's because he has a restless nature or is hungry for more signing-on fees I don't know.

It's been suggested he might have a rest, or be a coach at Man U. QPR should give him a go, but unfortunately finishing so low with Lincoln means he'd be a hard sell for the fans. You're right that he doesn't tend to stick around to finish the job, whether that's because he has a restless nature or is hungry for more signing-on fees I don't know.
more tatts dont pay for themself

Our captain that season starts tonight in a Europa League Semi Final. Good luck to John Lundstram.

He was with us for our first season back in L1.

We finished in eighth, got to the fifth round of the FA Cup and got to Wembley in the League Trophy.
Without bothering to check, I'd think he also brought in Nelson, Ledson, Rothwell and Marvin Johnson that year who turned out to be decent investments.

Plus, obviously, beat Swindon twice in the Maguire games.

Lundstram could have just sent Rangers into the Europa League final.

I remember some on here slagging him off after his first game for us 🤣
I also remember someone suggesting trying to get him back on loan when he wasn’t really playing for Sheffield Utd in the Championship and a few going ‘What’s this obsession with ex-players, we can do better, let’s look forwards not back’ etc etc 😂

Without bothering to check, I'd think he also brought in Nelson, Ledson, Rothwell and Marvin Johnson that year who turned out to be decent investments.

Plus, obviously, beat Swindon twice in the Maguire games.

It was a f*****g brilliant season.

Possibly as good as the promotion season which preceeded it, which is saying something.

Big crowds, brilliant players and characters, a sense that we were getting back to something resembling a fitting level of football.

Was nice to be able to talk to fans of other clubs with a sense of justified pride.

It was a f*****g brilliant season.

Possibly as good as the promotion season which preceeded it, which is saying something.

Big crowds, brilliant players and characters, a sense that we were getting back to something resembling a fitting level of football.

Was nice to be able to talk to fans of other clubs with a sense of justified pride.

So much to unpack from it. The league was to some extent secondary that year. We were a bit inconsistent throughout and sat in 20th after 17 games but steadied ourselves to be a comfortable mid-table side and then won a few at the end to finish in our highest position all season in 8th. Highlights were the wins over Swindon, 3-0 win over Millwall, Conor McAleny's hattricks, the Maguire-pointing penalty game against Peterborough now immortilised in every shithousing compilation on YouTube and a smattering of great last minute winners.

The cups were the real fun though. Beating Birmingham in the League Cup, Rotherham and Newcastle from the Championship in the FA Cup, the best-fun-in-defeat game against Middlesbrough and then the run to the final in the JPT including the 3-2 win over Luton. The less said about the final the better, but we played so many matches that year and Simon Eastwood played all of them - 62 games! Lundstram, Maguire, Hemmings, Phil Edwards (underappreciated loanee who replaced 'Homes Under the Hammer' favourite Christian Ribiero), Marvin Johnson and Dunkley all played over 50 times each too.

Frustratingly, I could see what MApp was doing to set us up for the season after too. He was starting to ease out players who weren't going to get us to the next level such as MacDonald and Ryan Taylor to plan ahead for a push towards the top end of the table the season after. The disagreements with DE over budgets sadly never saw the plans come to fruition.

Thrilled for Lunny. He was suspended for the other 'major' final he contested (the 2016 EFL Trophy Final). Let's hope that a Europa League medal is some solace to banish those memories.

So much to unpack from it. The league was to some extent secondary that year. We were a bit inconsistent throughout and sat in 20th after 17 games but steadied ourselves to be a comfortable mid-table side and then won a few at the end to finish in our highest position all season in 8th. Highlights were the wins over Swindon, 3-0 win over Millwall, Conor McAleny's hattricks, the Maguire-pointing penalty game against Peterborough now immortilised in every shithousing compilation on YouTube and a smattering of great last minute winners.

The cups were the real fun though. Beating Birmingham in the League Cup, Rotherham and Newcastle from the Championship in the FA Cup, the best-fun-in-defeat game against Middlesbrough and then the run to the final in the JPT including the 3-2 win over Luton. The less said about the final the better, but we played so many matches that year and Simon Eastwood played all of them - 62 games! Lundstram, Maguire, Hemmings, Phil Edwards (underappreciated loanee who replaced 'Homes Under the Hammer' favourite Christian Ribiero), Marvin Johnson and Dunkley all played over 50 times each too.

Frustratingly, I could see what MApp was doing to set us up for the season after too. He was starting to ease out players who weren't going to get us to the next level such as MacDonald and Ryan Taylor to plan ahead for a push towards the top end of the table the season after. The disagreements with DE over budgets sadly never saw the plans come to fruition.

Thrilled for Lunny. He was suspended for the other 'major' final he contested (the 2016 EFL Trophy Final). Let's hope that a Europa League medal is some solace to banish those memories.

Absolutely all of this.

And it even started in fun fashion with Lineker walking out onto our pitch with the PL trophy as we had an enjoyable friendly against Leicester.

Back
Top Bottom