National News Extinction "Rebellion"

We are - except for the consumers buying cheap plastic sh!te from China.

Meanwhile who needs a gas guzzling diesel to get her kids to "rugby & football" on a Sunday?

That`ll be the founder of XR then..... https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/08/23/extinction-rebellion-founder-admits-drives-diesel-car/

Have they not got legs or bikes?
You need to get educated. Britain talks a good game about being world leaders on everything. We have horribly missed all Paris commitments, continue to support fossil fuels and have achieved nothing at G7 save promises and new 30 year commitments which aren't enough. If the world wasn't flooding and burning around us and our politicians were acting to make sure we do enough there would be no need for any protests. Need a concerted effort from every individual - not just to stop "buying plastic from China" - but the general public is so thick they need telling exactly what to do to make an individual and collective difference - starts with reducing general consumption/eating less meat/investing in clean energy/trading less with polluters (taxing their products)/driving less etc etc - not enough to just stop rinsing dishes before they go into the dish washer! You clearly have no idea about climate change or challenges essex, so why troll around berating those who understand them and stand up against promise-making politicians who are quite happy to do nothing and still be supported by the ignorant.

You need to get educated. Britain talks a good game about being world leaders on everything. We have horribly missed all Paris commitments, continue to support fossil fuels and have achieved nothing at G7 save promises and new 30 year commitments which aren't enough. If the world wasn't flooding and burning around us and our politicians were acting to make sure we do enough there would be no need for any protests. Need a concerted effort from every individual - not just to stop "buying plastic from China" - but the general public is so thick they need telling exactly what to do to make an individual and collective difference - starts with reducing general consumption/eating less meat/investing in clean energy/trading less with polluters (taxing their products)/driving less etc etc - not enough to just stop rinsing dishes before they go into the dish washer! You clearly have no idea about climate change or challenges essex, so why troll around berating those who understand them and stand up against promise-making politicians who are quite happy to do nothing and still be supported by the ignorant.
My friend who's in XR actually doesn't think that what individuals do is very significant - she feels that government action is what matters.

If only you knew what you don`t know. :)

People - there are too many of us. If that keeps growing so do all the related problems of consumption.
Food - people, specifically in the West, now expect what they want, when they want it and happily throw tons of it in the bin. If that food has been shipped half way around the world wrapped in plastic everyone loses
Transport - people object to mass transit systems like HS2. People object to expanding Heathrow. Those same people who fly off on jollys twice a year.
Consumption - Go to Primark & buy a t-shirt for £5 and "forget" the person in the Leicester sweatshop making it. Or buy your latest "must have" Gizmo packed with rare minerals mined by children.

I`ve spoken about such things with a family member who is a Professor of Environmental Policies - we might not agree to the solutions but we aren`t far off and haven`t blocked a road to make a difference.

How about you? Must click some miles up from Falmouth to get anywhere?

If only you knew what you don`t know. :)

People - there are too many of us. If that keeps growing so do all the related problems of consumption.
Food - people, specifically in the West, now expect what they want, when they want it and happily throw tons of it in the bin. If that food has been shipped half way around the world wrapped in plastic everyone loses
Transport - people object to mass transit systems like HS2. People object to expanding Heathrow. Those same people who fly off on jollys twice a year.
Consumption - Go to Primark & buy a t-shirt for £5 and "forget" the person in the Leicester sweatshop making it. Or buy your latest "must have" Gizmo packed with rare minerals mined by children.

I`ve spoken about such things with a family member who is a Professor of Environmental Policies - we might not agree to the solutions but we aren`t far off and haven`t blocked a road to make a difference.

How about you? Must click some miles up from Falmouth to get anywhere?
Your crown of superiority must weigh heavy on your head at times:unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Your crown of superiority must weigh heavy on your head at times:unsure: :ROFLMAO:

Well, except for the ending snipe, @FalmouthOx pretty much agreed with the problems we (the human race) face so we aren`t far away
I do my bit, so to ask if others do is a valid point IMHO.
As for family, well you can`t pick them, can you? Makes for interesting conversations over a meal!

Even if we do manage to reduce C02 etc Mother Nature will still outflank us and make us realise how insignificant we are.......... just like the dinosaurs.
So remind me why XR aren`t protesting at the gates of the biggest polluters?

Well, except for the ending snipe, @FalmouthOx pretty much agreed with the problems we (the human race) face so we aren`t far away
I do my bit, so to ask if others do is a valid point IMHO.
As for family, well you can`t pick them, can you? Makes for interesting conversations over a meal!

Even if we do manage to reduce C02 etc Mother Nature will still outflank us and make us realise how insignificant we are.......... just like the dinosaurs.
So remind me why XR aren`t protesting at the gates of the biggest polluters?

I try to do my bit but I've been told to eat more meat by dieticians. :)

Well, they're trying here: https://xramerica.org/ (No. 2 country in the list you linked to).
Sush you!

Big business and their media chums don't want anyone to know about this. They only want you to see the massive inconvenience they are causing to a few shoppers and grotesquely rich bankers/business leaders in central London, who are being denied their fix of fast fashion, or making yet more obscene profits for all of 30 minutes......

Just like those damn Sufragettes all those years ago....noisy, nasty, annoying rabble-rousers, the lot of 'em!!

• React
Reactions: QR
Wonder if any XR members were at Reading Festival?
Yes that is what was left behind............ kids care about the environment yes?
ReadingLitter.jpg

Thinking the general public are "so thick" is such an ugly, snobbish trait. Grim.

Yeah!! Much better if they'd just burned it all in open fires on site....like they used to in the good old days!

Neither is right.
Surely kids who are on point with the environment would just pack/pick it up & take it away with them?

Neither is right.
Surely kids who are on point with the environment would just pack/pick it up & take it away with them?

Gotta be honest, that fucks me off massively too.

I was a complete t**t when I was younger* but even I used to take my tent and rubbish away from festivals.

*I know, right!

So how did we manage to breed and raise such a generation of selfish, self-centred, consumerist and materially driven twats I wonder :unsure:

Very easy to point the finger at the symptom with righteous indignation, but maybe going after the cause and stopping that would've been a good idea with their parents generation all those years ago. These kids did not fashion themselves this way - we created them - we've allowed them to be this way and act like that because of the values we've given them!

Social responsibility and collective action for common good is not something the human race (by and large) have got a good track record with. We're far more comfortable with the me and mine first ethos...and then just throwing our hands up in despair when it is (almost) too late to do anything....and pointing the finger elsewhere to hide our own shortcomings.

So shake your heads and tut disapprovingly at these kids or at what XR are trying to do and the message they are trying to get across (and they are not the first). Get annoyed that they held you up or inconvenienced you for a few minutes of your limited existence...Mock teenage girls trying to get a rather important fundamental message to a global audience if you must...if it makes you feel better. But what really grates is you know they are right and the vast majority of us have been getting it wrong for rather a long time.

Back
Top Bottom