Sport Extra Mile...........

When I did the Oxford Half, we trained up to about 12k, never had the time to do a FULL half marathon in training :)

We trained up to 21 miles over 6 months and learnt a lot -
Training takes up a lot of time, not just distance but pace and recovery.
1,000 mile socks are genius.
Footwear is key.
Fluids and keeping energy up.

Must say the Macmillan organisation around feeding stations etc was brilliant and even included randomly placed folk with bowls of Jelly Babies!!

Mrs EY(Mk2) burst into tears after crossing the line and I got stung by a wasp that was after the glass of fizz! :ROFLMAO:

The thing that gets me about running ultras is the average speeds needed sound comfortable. 100 miles in 24hrs is just over 4mph, which is a brisk walk pace. But as anyone who has run a marathon will tell you, weird things start happening to the body after 4 hours or so of effort (quad cramping REALLY HURTS 😂) so to keep going even at that pace for 24 hours is monumental.
I’ve heard it mentioned a few times that if a Marathon back marker would to walk the course, they would most likely increase their time.

I’ve heard it mentioned a few times that if a Marathon back marker would to walk the course, they would most likely increase their time.
The MK marathon has a cut off time of 7hrs, so to walk it you would have to go at 3.75mph, which is a good paced walk. Most people should be averaging 3 to 4mph when walking, so it's certainly doable.

I walked to work yesterday. 6.04 km in 45m56s. That’s 2h40m pace for the half marathon. I’ll be surprised if I do better than 2h30m running. (3h cutoff and there’s no full marathon happening to take the time pressure off. It’s predicted to be 22oC at 7am and 28oC by 10am, so hydration’s a priority. Getting my excuses in early :) )

I walked to work yesterday. 6.04 km in 45m56s. That’s 2h40m pace for the half marathon. I’ll be surprised if I do better than 2h30m running. (3h cutoff and there’s no full marathon happening to take the time pressure off. It’s predicted to be 22oC at 7am and 28oC by 10am, so hydration’s a priority. Getting my excuses in early :) )
My first marathon was in 28 degree heat on a freak early May Bank Holiday about 4 years ago. So much for the 4 months of winter training to prepare for it 😂. Plenty of liquid, and make sure you have a bloody good hat. Better still, if you can get some wrist bands, douse them in cold water and wear them, that works really well to keep temperature down.

Thought I’d better report back that I didn’t die. I survived the Fremantle half marathon. 2h19m according to Strava. It was hot as balls. 26oC when we left home at 6am and 32oC an hour after I finished. The Doctor tried to blow in a few times so at least there was some breeze.

Thought I’d better report back that I didn’t die. I survived the Fremantle half marathon. 2h19m according to Strava. It was hot as balls. 26oC when we left home at 6am and 32oC an hour after I finished. The Doctor tried to blow in a few times so at least there was some breeze.
Top effort well done 👏

Superb effort.

What is "The Doctor" ? Coastal wind?

Back
Top Bottom