Home Match Day Thread +++ FAC 4th Replay - OUFC v Newcastle United MDT +++

A few words on Newcastle. Apart from a short spell where they passed the ball between themselves in triangles but standing still so not going anywhere they didn't play much football on the ground and the level of aimless hoofball was pretty shocking really. We were done by the law of averages with Saint Maximin, 90% of the time he runs at speed and has no end product whatsoever, 5% of the time he gets lucky and creates something only to mess it up, the other 5% of the time he is completely unstoppable. When he got the ball on the left it needed Long to rush forward to him and boot him in the stand. Newcastle were set up very defensively and well organised. Almiron is a complete joke, the one thing he does have is a good engine to be able to run quite quickly for a longer than average time. But that's about all he does, you notice him because he runs around headless chicken style, doesn't do much on the ball, knows how to cheat.

Tiny margins decided the game. The high tackle by Longstaff when he pretended to be hurt was a clear yellow. The nasty elbow by Bentaleb was spotted by the ref but gave yellow not red. When Sykes beat Lejeune in extra time to be clean through for a shot on goal to be brought down was a red, it could only be a yellow if a penalty was awarded. 2nd goal was after a foul. This is where VAR is a problem, to have it in some games and not others in the same competition is wrong. Prem refs are relying on it so their own match judgement where VAR is not in operation is now nowhere near as good as they are no longer trained or able to make correct decisions because in the prem they don't necessarily need to.

For all the decent play, I can't help but feel we again didn't test their keeper enough which has been the problem for quite a few weeks. But we did finish both games against Newcastle much the stronger in 90 minutes so that is a real plus for the fitness team and I guess a huge minus and embarrassment for the Newcastle coaches. I hate being a plucky loser and really hope we can move on from this and get some good results that this team deserves.

It's because everything is the fault of Sam Long or Jamie Mackie!! They don't actually have to do anything wrong, it's just the way of some on here.
No, Scotch; you’re going OTT with your defensive responses yet again. Anyone is allowed to criticise any player, or praise them, or have an opinion, on this forum. Mackie is poor; he contributes little. Our centre backs were superb. Sykes’ self-belief is increasing in leaps and bounds, but for 55 minutes we lost the midfield battles last night. Agyei has potential, and needs minutes. We would be half the team without Gorrin. We will win 4-2 at Peterborough.

woken up gutted we didn't get the result as we could have, we pretty much said go on have a shot for all 3 of there goals and got punished. Technically we have some great young players albeit not ours, last night showed our weaknesses rb and another strike option perhaps had we got them before the deadline window we could be into the 5th round anyway Hollands goal was something of beauty and looks a great asset for now. Dickie was different class last night
Thoroughly enjoyed the skill and energetic performance of oufc last night. The pace of Newcastle and their ability to move the ball swiftly showed the difference between premier league and division one. That said, no one could criticise how we went about the game. It makes me laugh to read many of the posts that must come from people with no knowledge of playing the game. You can't just make challenges at the back without knowing you have cover. Backing off is all part of that skill. Oxfordfan1 is just talking rubbish. No criticism from me for Long. Excellent defensive effort to keep us just 2 down. Let's just hammer Posh and get back in the top 6 !!

A few words on Newcastle. Apart from a short spell where they passed the ball between themselves in triangles but standing still so not going anywhere they didn't play much football on the ground and the level of aimless hoofball was pretty shocking really. We were done by the law of averages with Saint Maximin, 90% of the time he runs at speed and has no end product whatsoever, 5% of the time he gets lucky and creates something only to mess it up, the other 5% of the time he is completely unstoppable. When he got the ball on the left it needed Long to rush forward to him and boot him in the stand. Newcastle were set up very defensively and well organised. Almiron is a complete joke, the one thing he does have is a good engine to be able to run quite quickly for a longer than average time. But that's about all he does, you notice him because he runs around headless chicken style, doesn't do much on the ball, knows how to cheat.

Tiny margins decided the game. The high tackle by Longstaff when he pretended to be hurt was a clear yellow. The nasty elbow by Bentaleb was spotted by the ref but gave yellow not red. When Sykes beat Lejeune in extra time to be clean through for a shot on goal to be brought down was a red, it could only be a yellow if a penalty was awarded. 2nd goal was after a foul. This is where VAR is a problem, to have it in some games and not others in the same competition is wrong. Prem refs are relying on it so their own match judgement where VAR is not in operation is now nowhere near as good as they are no longer trained or able to make correct decisions because in the prem they don't necessarily need to.

For all the decent play, I can't help but feel we again didn't test their keeper enough which has been the problem for quite a few weeks. But we did finish both games against Newcastle much the stronger in 90 minutes so that is a real plus for the fitness team and I guess a huge minus and embarrassment for the Newcastle coaches. I hate being a plucky loser and really hope we can move on from this and get some good results that this team deserves.

The ref did nothing wrong that Var would have changed...was a refreshing change to actual see a ref being allowed to officiate the game and as regards the alleged foul on Browne, sorry it just wasn't Browne was looking to fall over like so many modern players.
imagine having seen a magnificent winning goal, waiting a minute + to have it confirmed (the same with the other 4 too)

Last night was what football is about and Var would have completely ruined it

No, Scotch; you’re going OTT with your defensive responses yet again. Anyone is allowed to criticise any player, or praise them, or have an opinion, on this forum. Mackie is poor; he contributes little. Our centre backs were superb. Sykes’ self-belief is increasing in leaps and bounds, but for 55 minutes we lost the midfield battles last night. Agyei has potential, and needs minutes. We would be half the team without Gorrin. We will win 4-2 at Peterborough.
Totally agree, I also think Sam Long was and has been very good recently.
It's because everything is the fault of Sam Long or Jamie Mackie!! They don't actually have to do anything wrong, it's just the way of some on here.
Ummm I think they have to perform badly in order to face criticism, I don't join in on the criticism of Sam Long as I think he's a decent player at this level... Jamie Mackie I'm afraid isn't and I don't see why it is so wrong for people to share their opinion to that effect.

I think most are just bemused at why we persist with him when there are other options whom have demonstrated they have qualities worth exploring

9/10. Nearly a brilliant night against a mid table top flight team who don't concede many. Only questions I have, why didn't KR get CamBran (is he fit) to drop back to support Gorrin for the first hour when Longstaff was making it difficult for Gorrin to find space? What were we thinking when trying to pass it out of our half for their first goal (that we are Brazil 1970)? The sweeping option at the end - allowing the defence to push up 10-20 yards was excellent. 2 great goals. Think it's unfair to say Sam should have dived in at the end - he would likely have been skinned.

I think most are just bemused at why we persist with him when there are other options whom have demonstrated they have qualities worth exploring

Actually most of us understand that the coaches, video analysers, fitness team and more staff at the club have a little more insight than us to make sweeping judgements on a player that has contributed to our fantastic performances so far this season.

Anyway, Yesterday was so exciting, I even saw someone stand up in the South Stand.
Isn't it strange that managers moan more about the number of games players play in nowadays? Or is it just an excuse for poor form? When they plan there squads all teams could go for less quality and more quantity.

I’ll have you know we (Flaskers end of the SSU) were very animated AND vocal last night!

A great display by the yellows.

You did well, this isn't a dig they should have finished you in the first half. That was a great comeback against basically their first team. The plus for us is we'll keep the gate. Newcastle only need need 5pts for safety, so, Merrick will play a strong team in the 5th. We need to open a gap again. it'll depend on the league on what Bilic does

Back
Top Bottom