Home Match Day Thread +++ FAC 4th Replay - OUFC v Newcastle United MDT +++

A few words on Newcastle. Apart from a short spell where they passed the ball between themselves in triangles but standing still so not going anywhere they didn't play much football on the ground and the level of aimless hoofball was pretty shocking really. We were done by the law of averages with Saint Maximin, 90% of the time he runs at speed and has no end product whatsoever, 5% of the time he gets lucky and creates something only to mess it up, the other 5% of the time he is completely unstoppable. When he got the ball on the left it needed Long to rush forward to him and boot him in the stand.

Agree on your St. Maximin analysis - but by the 117th minute, Sam Long could barely walk. No way he had the energy to rush, catch and boot the Frenchman! Long had an epic game getting up and down the right flank, but his race was run by that point.

It is what it is.....by the end of extra time, Newcastle had a fresh, speedy and energetic winger running at an absolutely exhausted defense.

I don't blame anyone for that goal, I just think we were unfortunate that we ran into that 5% moment at exactly the wrong time.

You did well, this isn't a dig they should have finished you in the first half. That was a great comeback against basically their first team. The plus for us is we'll keep the gate. Newcastle only need need 5pts for safety, so, Merrick will play a strong team in the 5th. We need to open a gap again. it'll depend on the league on what Bilic does
It’s called resilience @Baggie

You did well, this isn't a dig they should have finished you in the first half. That was a great comeback against basically their first team. The plus for us is we'll keep the gate. Newcastle only need need 5pts for safety, so, Merrick will play a strong team in the 5th. We need to open a gap again. it'll depend on the league on what Bilic does

It took us a while to join the party but I am glad we did finally show some of the quality of football we can produce against a team worth nearly £300 mil more than ours.

It makes me smile when reading comments on their forum like... “Christ, they’re all over us” ?

I know this thread is nearing the end, but I thought the article above was very interesting. If you have not got time to read it, I have summarised the main points below:

“Astonishing BBC TV audience figures for Oxford v Newcastle in wider context
As well as 11,520 packed into the Kassam Stadium, there were those watching on the box, with BBC1 showing the game live.
Now those TV viewing figures have been made public and very impressive numbers indeed.
An average of 3.5m TV viewers tuning in to watch Oxford v Newcastle, with a peak of 4.8m viewers
It just shows how easy it is to forget the power of terrestrial TV channels, when only one Premier League match on Sky Sports has ever had a higher UK TV audience than Oxford v Newcastle last night.”

Excellent from everyone last night, really gave them a game in the end, and gave us a performance to be proud of.
A couple of observations:
Our results in the four games against prem sides this season are better than the last four League games of nine of the twenty prem sides including Man utd and arsenal.
I hate him for scoring but st Maximin is my new favourite top flight player, a real delight to watch and worth the things that go wrong for the things that go right.
Joelinton and almiron were pretty awful though.
Have to back up Hampshire with his comments about Dickie's lack of pace, not just here but against other sides too (Hartlepool). May not be a bad thing though if it puts people off buying him so we get to keep him for ourselves to keep doing all the other things he does so well.
Fitness levels fantastic, especially the full backs.
I'm biased, of course, but I think long does a lot of things well a lot of the time (including in an attacking sense) so would be happy to have him in the side for rest of the season despite the odd slip.
Mad scenes in our house with the equaliser, with mini-mooro completely hooked now and even his football-hating mother actually getting excited (albeit temporarily) but nice change while it lasted.
Finally, while those TV figures are fantastic, would it not be reasonable to assume that the peak number would have been at ten o'clock with people switching over for the news?

I do love the FA Cup to be honest. There’s proper magic to it. Last night was a shining example of why replays shouldn’t be scrapped.
Agree but I am afraid the Peemier****, doesnt care.
Further European games seem likely. There are no replays from R5 onwards ( which is now being played midweek)
I reckon we are 2 to 3 years away from no replays in R3 onwards.

What. A. Game. I wasn't home until midnight, but couldn't really sleep. They have given us some great moments this season. All I wanted was for us to have a good go at them and we did.
So Kelly is ready to take the free-kick and the conversation with my mate went something like this:

My mate: Looks like Kelly is ready to take it
Me: I don't know a lot about him. Set-pieces, is that his thing?
My mate: We'll soon find out.
Me: (once we recovered) I think we can say it's his thing!

Thoroughly enjoyed the skill and energetic performance of oufc last night. The pace of Newcastle and their ability to move the ball swiftly showed the difference between premier league and division one. That said, no one could criticise how we went about the game. It makes me laugh to read many of the posts that must come from people with no knowledge of playing the game. You can't just make challenges at the back without knowing you have cover. Backing off is all part of that skill. Oxfordfan1 is just talking rubbish. No criticism from me for Long. Excellent defensive effort to keep us just 2 down. Let's just hammer Posh and get back in the top 6 !!

yes I have played football right through from the age of 5 there third goal we had 3 players on saint max all 3 showed him inside am I wrong? anyway great performance from the ox move onto the league.

Now we are out of the FA CUP, is there any statto out there who knows a total profit that has been made from all cup competitions + all TV royalties?

Back
Top Bottom