Fan's View Fan's View 23/24 - No.19: Cheltenham away

A really good striker is a must in January, if they can get one that is. It will make or break our season.

Cheltenham were "Up for it" from the start. We knew how they were going to play but unfortunately we didn't have the full squad to choose from to select a team capable of defending their type of play.
Thorniley is not a great header of the ball, Fin Stevens (Improving as time goes on) coming from a Prem U23 team is not use to the Cheltenham bombardment type of game so was inexperienced for this type of game and again heading is not his strength.
Defending is all about partnerships so it was always going to be tough partnering Thorniley & Negru, effectively a new partnership at the heart of the defence.
We would have coped a lot better with a back four of Leigh, Brown, Moore & Long.
Leigh would head the ball away all day long (He is like a leaping salmon)
The experience and know how of Long would have been better than Stevens.
There are two very different types of teams we face in League 1 and we need two different types of back four to deal with it. We have this in the squad subject to not having injuries & suspension.

Their first goal ...........
It does my head in bringing every player back at a corner to defend. But also they are crammed within 12 yards of the goal leaving two opposition players on the "D" to pick up those loose balls and have a shot at goal. This happened for their first goal when Beadle's weak punch landed nicely for their forward to have have clean shot at goal. If we had a player in the "D" he could have prevented the shot and goal.

and pre-match beers - I like the Old Kemble Brewery tucked away down that little residential street.

Their first goal ...........
It does my head in bringing every player back at a corner to defend. But also they are crammed within 12 yards of the goal leaving two opposition players on the "D" to pick up those loose balls and have a shot at goal. This happened for their first goal when Beadle's weak punch landed nicely for their forward to have have clean shot at goal. If we had a player in the "D" he could have prevented the shot and goal.
It is like a broken record among me and those I sit with at home games. We bring *everybody* back for corners. If we win the ball at the back, it can only be headed or booted out. Unless it goes out of play, that means the ball is immediately back with the opposition. It also means the opposition can bring as many players forward as they feel like. Put a man on the halfway line (maybe someone like Goodrham who isn't going to win many headers at a corner) - that immediately keeps a couple of their players back and gives at least some sort of outlet..

and pre-match beers - I like the Old Kemble Brewery tucked away down that little residential street.
Yes; a hidden gem.
And I hope Mr FV, on the next occasion he visits Cheltenham, finds the time to walk 50 metres along the road from the SP Alehouse to The Strand. Equally good beers (though admittedly not the selection) , knowledgeable bar staff and more space (including a garden at the back)

We used to really rate that place. Then it went down hill a bit and last time we went in the beer was dreadful. A mate ended up pouring his plum porter down the drain outside.
Is it good again?

We used to really rate that place. Then it went down hill a bit and last time we went in the beer was dreadful. A mate ended up pouring his plum porter down the drain outside.
Is it good again?
Yes. And it’s upped the quality of the food it serves now, too.

Yes. And it’s upped the quality of the food it serves now, too.
Good to hear. Mind you quite a few years ago now food before games was free - chilli, stew, whatever. You just helped yourself.

It is like a broken record among me and those I sit with at home games. We bring *everybody* back for corners. If we win the ball at the back, it can only be headed or booted out. Unless it goes out of play, that means the ball is immediately back with the opposition. It also means the opposition can bring as many players forward as they feel like. Put a man on the halfway line (maybe someone like Goodrham who isn't going to win many headers at a corner) - that immediately keeps a couple of their players back and gives at least some sort of outlet..
This is said a lot and the counter argument is that the fewer people in the box the easier it is for an attacker to find space.

I'm not going to argue that it's always the right thing to do, but the one example I can best remember of a team that really pushed it was Sheffield Wednesday when they came to the Kassam a couple of years ago - I seem to remember they noticeably had two guys right up on either end of the half way line on every one of our corners.

Cue last minute corner and Sam Winnall trundling into a box with eight Sheff Wed defenders in it, and relatively free header to win the game.

If you thought the Sandford Arms pork pie was expensive, how about the pork and haggis Scotch Egg for £8.50?
I prefer a runnier yolk, and adding a few leaves did not make it a "substantial meal".

egg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom