Football Special Bus (OX2/OX3/OX7)

@OUSP Secretary @OxVox fell foul of the OX2 bus being full on Saturday I boarded at the Boundary House stop however my son had finished work at 1.30 so went to the Peachcroft Road Stop on arrival the driver told him and the 3 others stood there waiting that the bus was full and to get the X3 then the 5 or 1 bus to the Stadium so I disembarked so my son did'nt go on his own. We arrived at the ground fortunately 2 minutes before Greg Leighs goal (perhaps we brought luck!)

It appears that due to cost a second bus is not going to be provided, I just feel that when the club is committing to spending £100m on a new stadium and encouraging everyone to travel sustainably this cost should be met. This will only make other people drive instead of getting the bus as there is no guarantee you will get on it!

This coming Saturdays game will also be busy so will any contingency be made????

@OUSP Secretary @OxVox fell foul of the OX2 bus being full on Saturday I boarded at the Boundary House stop however my son had finished work at 1.30 so went to the Peachcroft Road Stop on arrival the driver told him and the 3 others stood there waiting that the bus was full and to get the X3 then the 5 or 1 bus to the Stadium so I disembarked so my son did'nt go on his own. We arrived at the ground fortunately 2 minutes before Greg Leighs goal (perhaps we brought luck!)

It appears that due to cost a second bus is not going to be provided, I just feel that when the club is committing to spending £100m on a new stadium and encouraging everyone to travel sustainably this cost should be met. This will only make other people drive instead of getting the bus as there is no guarantee you will get on it!

This coming Saturdays game will also be busy so will any contingency be made????
To add to that:

If you're going from Botley on Saturday, might be worth making a contingency plan. The second bus is stopping. Instead there will be a single 100 capacity bus (so only 8 more seats than usual).

Considering 126 people took the OX3 for the Exeter game, and attendances are only going up, this really is poor.

It would have also been nice for the FA cup ticket information to mention whether the buses are running for that game, rather than having to assume that they're not.

When lip service isn't a substitute for an actual bus service.

To add to that:

If you're going from Botley on Saturday, might be worth making a contingency plan. The second bus is stopping. Instead there will be a single 100 capacity bus (so only 8 more seats than usual).

Considering 126 people took the OX3 for the Exeter game, and attendances are only going up, this really is poor.

@OxVox and @OUSP Secretary this is very concerning, to get atleast 90% to use public transport to the new stadium isn't going to happen overnight and needs to become a habit to fans even traveling to the Kassam until we move

More busses on current routes, more routes from other towns to the ground and more importantly a pre booking system by an app that guarantees you a place on the bus and speeds up boarding, The club need to subsidize the routes first until they become financially viable.

Just to add that the single OX7 bus was also completely rammed again, with people standing in the aisles. There should be a second OX7 put on too.

@OxVox and @OUSP Secretary this is very concerning, to get atleast 90% to use public transport to the new stadium isn't going to happen overnight and needs to become a habit to fans even traveling to the Kassam until we move

More busses on current routes, more routes from other towns to the ground and more importantly a pre booking system by an app that guarantees you a place on the bus and speeds up boarding, The club need to subsidize the routes first until they become financially viable.
More routes from other towns would theoretically be good for me, but I’m sorry to say that I’m not sure I would use it!

It usually takes me about 2 hours to get to Littlemore from Challow on match days using the existing services (granted, I usually leave early doors and have a beer in Oxford before getting the 3 or 3/A up Rose Hill to The George to meet the mates I go to games with). Then it’s a 20 min walk to the ground.

If we lose, the journey home is awful, but after a good game I would rather take my time getting home than have to rush back to a bus stop at the ground, then walk back from Wantage without relishing the moment in the pub after the game (most of my mates live in Oxford or Abingdon).

I realise that this is selfish on my part, and that many people in Wantage (and environs) would welcome the return of a special, but the journey in and anticipation is part of match day for me (and the beer, obvs!)

More routes from other towns would theoretically be good for me, but I’m sorry to say that I’m not sure I would use it!

It usually takes me about 2 hours to get to Littlemore from Challow on match days using the existing services (granted, I usually leave early doors and have a beer in Oxford before getting the 3 or 3/A up Rose Hill to The George to meet the mates I go to games with). Then it’s a 20 min walk to the ground.

If we lose, the journey home is awful, but after a good game I would rather take my time getting home than have to rush back to a bus stop at the ground, then walk back from Wantage without relishing the moment in the pub after the game (most of my mates live in Oxford or Abingdon).

I realise that this is selfish on my part, and that many people in Wantage (and environs) would welcome the return of a special, but the journey in and anticipation is part of match day for me (and the beer, obvs!)

Football specials aren't for everyone we all know that but it's all about giving fans an option to get to the ground direct from their town and not needing to change bus in the city centre.

If it weren't for the football specials running from Abingdon back in 2002/2003 I probably wouldn't of got hooked into being a United fan. I used to go with a few mates when we were all around 13 or 14.

Getting fans on to public transport needs to start now.

There will be an additional OX2 bus this Saturday, as well as the second OX3 bus.

There will be an additional OX2 bus this Saturday, as well as the second OX3 bus.

I daresay the buses, in line with the partial closure of the ground will only be single decker buses?

Good news! Any prospect of an additional OX7 any time soon too?

This is exactly why the football special buses should leave each stop, and therefore arrive, at the ground earlier. How long will this diversion take? Will those on the buses, including myself, get to watch kick off or not?
Moving the pick-up time for select games is not possible as not everyone can be made aware of this ahead of time. (Well, with the clubs current communication strategy, no one will be made aware!)

However, for the buses next season, the arrival time should be adjusted to be 15-30 minutes earlier. For a normal game, that gives enough time to get food, a ticket and a toilet break without stressing. For games when there are roadworks, or an event fans should arrive early for (minutes silence ahead of Remembrance Day, Military day and family day activities, former player tributes, like for Joey Beauchamp), then this gives fans that opportunity to take part/be early in their seats.

Alternatively, as there are now 2 buses for 2 of the routes, maybe one can arrive at 1:30/2 and the second arrive at 2:30 from next season?

And finally, for the OX3, both buses serve all stops. Really, 1 should serve Carterton/Witney and go straight to the stadium, and 1 should serve Eynsham/Botley. They don't both need to arrive at all stops at the same time. Think of the fuel/electricity!

I travel in from Carterton and suggested that one of the two buses start at Witney where at least half a bus picks up, this would save a lot of time only to be told that Both buses have to start and finish at Carterton which is crazy, their are about six of us on it when we get to the garage stop in Witney.

I travel in from Carterton and suggested that one of the two buses start at Witney where at least half a bus picks up, this would save a lot of time only to be told that Both buses have to start and finish at Carterton which is crazy, their are about six of us on it when we get to the garage stop in Witney.

Even less than that by the time it gets to Bath I should think.

If they ran two buses on each route, one 15/30mins earlier than the other, that would be the ideal I would have thought. Personally I'm happy with the current bus timings.

Does anyone know if they will be running 2 buses (OX3) for the boxing day game as there's no way of getting back to the city centre in time for the last bus back to witney or carterton that day, got a feeling these buses will be heavily used if there are 2 available.

Back
Top Bottom