Gavin Whyte

Whyte is called up again by NI and misses the trip to Ipswich.

Sykes is a bit unlucky not to get the call too given his recent form

Whyte is called up again by NI and misses the trip to Ipswich.

Sykes is a bit unlucky not to get the call too given his recent form
Takes a lot more to get called to the ROI though, that’s why his move was a bit of a gamble (from a playing games perspective)

Takes a lot more to get called to the ROI though, that’s why his move was a bit of a gamble (from a playing games perspective)
I suppose when he’s tearing up the championship playing for us he will get called up to R.O.I squad

Do you think Whyte would get in the ROI squad? Would Sykes get in the NI squad?

There's four League One forwards in the new RoI squad.

Will Keane is tearing it up at Wigan, so granted neither Sykes nor Whyte are getting into the squad ahead of him.

But Parrott at MK Dons? Ogbene at Rotherham? Horgan at Wycombe?
You could argue that Sykes' 21/22 stats compare favourably with any of them, as does Gavin Whyte's pedigree.....

Had the NI game on alongside the England cricket match against san marino. Whyte played in a front 2 in a relatively traditional 442, occupying the hole just off Magennis, usually a little to the left. Thought he did very well throughout, particularly off the ball in the press, very high work rate. Picked up loose balls a few times to just run at Italy, with some success - in the first half skinning Tonali who had to bring him down and take a booking. However can't remember him getting in behind or beating Bonucci once (not exactly an easy feat to be fair). Nearly assisted in one of NI's best chances with a fantastic cross for Jamal Lewis in the second half. Wonder if playing off a main striker is indeed his best position, KR has played him in the 10 slot a few times now this season

He's coming into some really great form. He hasn't stuck out quite as much as the previous visit, but I think that probably says more about the level of competition now vs 2018/19 than it does about him.

9 League 1 Assists according to the BBC.

Only McConville 12, has more for Accrington.

The thing that stands out like a sore thumb on that list, however, is 'Goals: 0'. As we all know from his first spell with us is he can certainly finish, hopefully this will come shortly.

*I'm aware that last sentence turned into innuendo gold, before the puns all start... 🤣

I have noticed that Whyte seems to have lost some of his blistering pace from his first spell here. He doesn't seem as confident or comfortable trying to beat defenders for pace any more. He's obviously still quick and very light-footed (as he showed for assists 2 and 3 on Saturday), but so often in 1v1 situations he now decides to turn back play safe whereas before he'd just knock it past them and go.

That said he's still a very useful player at this level and his performances have definitely improved since Christmas.

I actually prefer Whyte as a right winger/wide right forward, as his pace is more dangerous higher up the pitch, taking players on (although I agree he does still seem to be only say 90% as fast as he used to be), but he certainly did play well against Charlton and picked the ball up and drove with it from deep.

I thought he'd be good for 8-10 goals in such a front foot team but it just hasn't happened, he's had chances too. He's definitely been getting better of late though and it's certainly not a bad time of the season to be coming in to top form. Our attacking options are just ridiculous though, I've never known such an embarrassment of riches going forwards.

I have noticed that Whyte seems to have lost some of his blistering pace from his first spell here. He doesn't seem as confident or comfortable trying to beat defenders for pace any more. He's obviously still quick and very light-footed (as he showed for assists 2 and 3 on Saturday), but so often in 1v1 situations he now decides to turn back play safe whereas before he'd just knock it past them and go.
Said exactly this to my brother at the Bolton game. He has definitely lost a good half a yard of pace as well as a chunk of his confidence. Not sure that League One is massively better overall than it was three years ago when he was ripping it up in a worse team, and when he had only been a pro for a few months for good measure.

Hopefully getting some assists on the board and being more involved will see him continuing to improve. We know what he can do if he moves up a gear or two and it would be great to see him rediscovering his form at this stage of the season.

Good c*ck swinging technique, too.

That said he's still a very useful player at this level and his performances have definitely improved since Christmas.
I'm not sure whether it's mainly pace he's lost, or confidence? He doesn't seem to try to carry the ball to the line or go past people on the outside..

He's been higher up the league and mentored by coaching teams who have the sole aim of keeping possession - you don't try and beat your man as you might get tackled, lose the ball and the opposition is off up the other end and you are now out of position. The flair has been drilled out of him.....

Back
Top Bottom