Home gardening - "Grow your Own" thread.

Our broad beans, which we recently planted are going a bit yellow, could it be over watering?

I have read on various websites that you should regularly water once flowers appear

Our broad beans, which we recently planted are going a bit yellow, could it be over watering?

I have read on various websites that you should regularly water once flowers appear
You most likely need to introduce some feed.
I have only just picked up on this thread.
Over bank holiday I acquired three panes of glass to repair the greenhouse. Couldn’t get any during lockdown but managed to get it free.
I had to strip down eight steel drawers that were covered in adhesive paper and were corroded. After rust treatment and Hammerite paint they look much better.
Got some tomatoes on the way, raspberries and strawberries.
Kept geranium plants etc over winter and they’re thriving

Don`t worry about watering much.
If it's dry the roots will go deeper to find moisture.

How often are you watering? Are they in raised beds? So many questions.........

With it being autumn here, the fruit is ripening - mandarins, oranges, quinces, avos (lemons and limes fruit multiple times a year). My favourite thing right now though is the pecan nuts from a neighbour 2 houses away. The black cockatoos pick the ripe ones from his tree and bring them to a gum tree in our garden to eat, and they drop about 50% of them uncracked so we get to collect them and eat!

Don`t worry about watering much.
If it's dry the roots will go deeper to find moisture.

How often are you watering? Are they in raised beds? So many questions.........
Watering about 2-3 times a week and its in a no dig bed.

Watering about 2-3 times a week and its in a no dig bed.

Too much IMHO.
Should be fairly established by now and beans are fairly self-sufficient barring things like aphids etc.
No dig should retain water & nutrients.

I love the boringness of this. LIfe is generally uneventful and maybe that’s a good thing. Just a good excuse to be outside and maybe dodge worse chores indoors.
Boring... but possibly more exciting than the current football on offer. A few bits from last week
49cf00b772f0c50971c239c0c9175ae2.jpg

Boring... but possibly more exciting than the current football on offer. A few bits from last week
That's amazing! Nothing of mine is really flowering or fruiting, I guess it's just been too hot and dry, or I haven't prepared the soil enough.

Where in the country are you, @ljs ?

I would have thought it was too early to harvesting winter squashes but you look to have some in there already. A great haul!

Could the marrow play RB at all?

A useful observation I picked up on from the Godfather of No Dig Charles Dowding if you have some odd looking raspberries this year …

Unfortunately, not too far from MK, just over the border in Northamptonshire.

No winter squashes in there, they are all just various types of courgettes and just keep growing and growing as long as they are watered! The marrows are courgettes... and have had plenty of big ba****ds!

No autumn raspberries appearing yet.

Last edited:
Unmitigated disaster this year. Drought and being away from home at the wrong time(s) has left it looking awful.

Always next year!

We had two inches of rain in an hour today.
still had to water the tomatoes in the greenhouse. Found a really good feed for them…..banana skins, high in potassium

still had to water the tomatoes in the greenhouse. Found a really good feed for them…..banana skins, high in potassium
What do you do, just bury them?

Yea that’s what we do. 2 skins in a jar of water for a few days.

76F9CA0E-ACE5-4813-ABE5-86A3C4713077.jpeg
Our harvest #1

The potatoes were grown in sacks.

Cucumbers were a bit sour, apparently that’s due to not enough watering.

Its been hard to get to the allotment every day, especially during the really hot spells.

Back
Top Bottom