iFollow Club Revolution

What's it say. I have to jump through lots of hoops to read it.

Isn’t he arguing against the the current funding of the streaming of his clubs matches, he wants to get all the money from Accys home streamed matches, rather than the quality of the product?

It’s an interesting debate, it’s certainly the very near future that you will be able to watch all FL matches.

It’s time for streaming to be seen as another way of watching football, rather than a threat to “live”games.
For many people not being able to get to games is a fact for whatever reason, so there is a market and demand which is just ignored

The quality of coverage is poor,the whole process is clunky at best, compared to the youth game which was streamed

I would happily pay the same price for a I follow season ticket, but can’t ever see it happening

As someone who remembers when this devils spawn first hatched, United v Sunderland ironically, I make him right.

The home club should have the same deal as if it were a ticket sold and iFollow send in an invoice as a supplier of a service.

Clubs should also have the option to choose who provides that service.

I accept the way people watch football has changed at a pace and outside factors also contributed to that.

Time for hybrid tickets so you can watch in person or online?

Once again thanks to Andy Holt for making public the private shenanigans of the EFL. Accy are lucky to have such an open and honest owner. Having short-notice binding votes is no way to run things like this - it is not an emergency situation that needs immediate action, this is something that needs to be done properly. But then again time and again the EFL have shown themselves incapable of managing capably.
The service is awful to everyone, and this is not going to change that, there will just be more of it. The service provided by clubs like Oxford City put it to shame. And that is before getting into the bizarre and unfair revenue splitting.

As a small club, he is always going to say that.
Accrington won't be selling many IFollow tickets for their away matches, and their opponents when they play at home are more likely to sell iFollow tickets, particulaly if it is a club who would sell out the away capacity.
So obviously a collective division of IFollow shared out equally among the league would benefit Accrington compared to for instance Ipswich, who would expect to have greater iFollow sales.
Is it still a convoluted division of sales based on away attendances?

I thought some of the bigger clubs didn't use iFollow as a service?

This is from The Guardian when it was launched:

Does this apply to any EFL fixture, then?

Not quite. To start with, a number of clubs have not opted in to iFollow. Accrington Stanley, Aston Villa, Birmingham City, Bristol City, Charlton Athletic, Derby County, Hull City, Forest Green Rovers, Middlesbrough, Queens Park Rangers, Stoke City, Swansea City or Sunderland are the outliers although they are still allowed to stream games via their own websites and digital services. QPR and Bristol City will do exactly that tonight.

I thought some of the bigger clubs didn't use iFollow as a service?

This is from The Guardian when it was launched:

Does this apply to any EFL fixture, then?

Not quite. To start with, a number of clubs have not opted in to iFollow. Accrington Stanley, Aston Villa, Birmingham City, Bristol City, Charlton Athletic, Derby County, Hull City, Forest Green Rovers, Middlesbrough, Queens Park Rangers, Stoke City, Swansea City or Sunderland are the outliers although they are still allowed to stream games via their own websites and digital services. QPR and Bristol City will do exactly that tonight.
ifollow didn't apply outside EFL so a number of those were either Prem or non-league. It is apparently a decision to be in, but as said by Andy there were "threats" of "loss of income" for outliers. Bigger clubs could afford to ignore that. The costs for steaming used to be prohibitively expensive, so that encouraged lots to join, it is not "cheap" now, but it is much more achievable for less - as many non-league clubs are showing. Given that both iFollow, and the stupid template CMS that the sites use are so awful, I really think OUFC should move away.

As a small club, he is always going to say that.
Accrington won't be selling many IFollow tickets for their away matches, and their opponents when they play at home are more likely to sell iFollow tickets, particulaly if it is a club who would sell out the away capacity.
So obviously a collective division of IFollow shared out equally among the league would benefit Accrington compared to for instance Ipswich, who would expect to have greater iFollow sales.
Is it still a convoluted division of sales based on away attendances?
It was a convoluted and poor solution to an issue that was entirely created as a sop to the bigger clubs to get their buy in.

I'd also add that it is really annoying that you can't login and watch directly on a modern tv. During lockdown, I didn't mind paying £10 for an away game, but as I don't have a laptop to HDMI to the tv, I had to watch on my pc screen.

I'd also add that it is really annoying that you can't login and watch directly on a modern tv. During lockdown, I didn't mind paying £10 for an away game, but as I don't have a laptop to HDMI to the tv, I had to watch on my pc screen.

I'm sure I was able to login and watch via my tv's browser.

ifollow didn't apply outside EFL so a number of those were either Prem or non-league. It is apparently a decision to be in, but as said by Andy there were "threats" of "loss of income" for outliers. Bigger clubs could afford to ignore that. The costs for steaming used to be prohibitively expensive, so that encouraged lots to join, it is not "cheap" now, but it is much more achievable for less - as many non-league clubs are showing. Given that both iFollow, and the stupid template CMS that the sites use are so awful, I really think OUFC should move away.
I work for a company that does VOD and global streaming services for a variety of sizes of client. I wonder if I could flag it to my higher ups as an avenue to explore.

If a generalised system could be made with a relatively low buy-in but which keeps the revenue more in the hands of the clubs, it's worth investigating.

Oufc explanation

Oufc explanation
So again oversea supporter's get to watch more games than fans in the UK...

Not all fans can get to away games! Live overseas, you can see them all!

Back
Top Bottom