Current Player #26 James Golding

His long passes were great! And he’s massive but mobile. He should be so grateful to Jack though, an own goal just then could have killed his career. Anyone remember Darren Jackson?

His ability to pick a long pass was excellent. Mis-timed a few headers with the ball often coming off his shoulders instead but that was a pretty impressive debut, looked much better than Nico Jones did on his debut - ironically against Doncaster too as I recall. He didn’t really need to do too much sprinting but I got the impression he isn’t the quickest, probably based on him just casually jogging back into position whenever he was caught a bit upfield.

With his passing I think he could also play in midfield. How great that would be to have a player who can play CB and CM? He reminded me of Liam Kelly with his passing, which is something we have missed this season.

With his passing I think he could also play in midfield. How great that would be to have a player who can play CB and CM? He reminded me of Liam Kelly with his passing, which is something we have missed this season.
He's a foot and half taller though.

Let's not play any of our young players until they have 50 appearances under their belt.

I think it’s slightly different for defenders as mistakes are more likely to cost goals, but I think in this instance it’s clear some regular experience at a lower level will help his development far more than being a backup option next season. He’s not too far off and as said previously, he should be really proud of how he played today.

Apart from THAT flick thought he played very well today, hope he's given the opportunity to make a real go at it next season.

He played some brilliant passes yesterday which will be a big plus going forwards and that interception in the first half saved a certain goal. Considering he's only 17 it was a very impressive performance and credit to him.

However, and I don't want to be a negative Nancy, but this was against an already relegated team (to all intents and purposes) in what was played at friendly pace. He also nearly scored an own goal, was dispossessed in his own half twice and played a really ropey ball inside at one point that McGuane only just made it to before their midfielder. He looks like he could do with a year on loan at a level where he'll be punished for mistakes like that.

Like I say I don't want to be negative and I'd love it if he had a long and successful career with us at a higher level than now but based on that if he was our back up centre back next season then I'd be concerned. He has potential for sure but I'd worry about him against a decent League 1 forward, never mind a good one. He certainly has the physique and technique to be a success and I think a couple of his mistakes at least could be put down to nerves, which is completely understandable. A year of regular games at a higher level than last season then reasses, and he'll still only be 18 when he returns.

A couple of other things, well done to Long for coaching him through the game and it was probably also very helpful having Brannagan so close to him as well. Also what on Earth is in the fruit shoots they give these kids? Golding looks a good 6 ft 4 and GOD is built like a middleweight boxer. Certainly looks like these kids will be ready physically which is a massive plus.

His long passes were great! And he’s massive but mobile. He should be so grateful to Jack though, an own goal just then could have killed his career. Anyone remember Darren Jackson?
Great prospect I thought with a real range of passing with his left foot ...I think injuries done for him .
How about Matthew Keeble around the same time ...MOM on debut against Southend then didn't play again as far as I recall !!

Well done to James Golding. I saw him playing on the right for Banbury this season, different class of opposition but looked more comfortable there IMO.

IIRC Darren Jackson broke his leg in his first season which contributed to his career fizzling out?

Last edited:
Well done to James Golding. I saw him playing on the right for Banbury this season, different class of opposition but looked more comfortable there IMO.

IIRC Darren Jackson broke his leg in his first season which contributed to his career fizzling out?
Darren Jackson scored a spectacular own goal on his home debut against Millwall, as I recall, and was never seen again. But I may have remembered wrong

Back
Top Bottom