Manager/Coach Karl Robinson.

I would say regardless of whether we make playoffs or not this has been a good season
Normally 74 points would get you there and we will get 74 but might need 78/9 this season
When you realise we are competing with some big clubs with better resources and finances this is some achievement
I will admit I wasn’t sure about KR at first but he has won me over with what he does off the pitch more than what happens on it
He seems more balanced in after match interviews as well
My only critisism is his obsession with wingers and not enough cover in defence and not replacing Gorrin which I feel might cost us at the end of the day
Our attractive style of play is bringing the crowds back and that is so refreshing
I have a feeling that our owners see next season as the one where we really go for it if we don’t sneak up this year

We will see on this point won’t we..

Brannagan/McNally - when bids come in, how will we act if we don’t go up?

Sykes - will he stay if we don’t go up?

Herbie Kane - can we get him on a full time deal?

Sam Baldock - will we extend his deal?

Gavin Whyte - can we get him on a full time deal?

There is nothing we can do about Sykes as he will be ooc and appears to be determined to play in the Championship (cant blame him)
Brannagan as well may have been promised a
move if we don't go up.
The question is more, I believe, who we get in to replace them if they do go. In the past we have replaced experience players with young players to develop. It will be interesting to see if we spend more on experienced proven successful L1/ Championship players ( and we have already got Browne in)

Sykes won't stay if we don't go up. That is pretty clear and it isn't clear if he'll stay if we go up. I hope he does stay.

They might all leave, it happens. We would sign others

The question is more, I believe, who we get in to replace them if they do go. In the past we have replaced experience players with young players to develop. It will be interesting to see if we spend more on experienced proven successful L1/ Championship players ( and we have already got Browne in)

Meh - experienced proven successful L1/ Championship players are more predictable - but they're not necessarily better. You'd rather have Luke McNally & Mark Sykes today than Steve Seddon & Sam Winnall!

Whatever division we end up in, I think we need to continue to balance bringing in experience & potential.....especially because we've been really, really good when it comes to identifying players with potential over the last 6-7 years (with the exception of the Clotet era.......). And that's where there's money to be made.

Personally, I'm excited to see Oisin Smyth play next year. Sounds like he could be the next star off the Irish pipeline........

Meh - experienced proven successful L1/ Championship players are more predictable - but they're not necessarily better. You'd rather have Luke McNally & Mark Sykes today than Steve Seddon & Sam Winnall!

Whatever division we end up in, I think we need to continue to balance bringing in experience & potential.....especially because we've been really, really good when it comes to identifying players with potential over the last 6-7 years (with the exception of the Clotet era.......). And that's where there's money to be made.

Personally, I'm excited to see Oisin Smyth play next year. Sounds like he could be the next star off the Irish pipeline........
Even then we identified Brannagan...or at least someone did, doubt it was Pep "Let's sign a friend of the family who is actually a doctor" Clotet.

Even then we identified Brannagan...or at least someone did, doubt it was Pep "Let's sign a friend of the family who is actually a doctor" Clotet.

You're absolutely right - and actually, we also signed Rob Dickie that window, didn't we?

I can't imagine Pep had that much input, because we fired him the following week, but yeah - no exceptions; we've just been damn good at identifying talented young players ever since MApp came on board......

You're absolutely right - and actually, we also signed Rob Dickie that window, didn't we?

I can't imagine Pep had that much input, because we fired him the following week, but yeah - no exceptions; we've just been damn good at identifying talented young players ever since MApp came on board......

Think lots of credit must go to Ashton for that.

I am not referring to Seddon and Winnall.
I am referring to quality like the 2 Baldocks, Will Keane, Smith at Rotherham and that kind of player.
And I am not suggesting that we get rid of our model entirely.
To go up we need to go up a level. We cant sell our best players, replace them with I experienced young players and expect to finish above Wigan Rotherham, Blackburn etc

Wasn't it Tiger who brought in Dickie and Brannagan?

I meant specifically the comment that “we've just been damn good at identifying talented young players ever since MApp came on board.”

Ashton was the brains alongside Eales’ (then) money in getting the club set up. A bit like Lenagan Jr being a driving force behind us getting our youth system working properly again.

Others have taken it on further, but we should recognise those that got it moving too.

Last edited:
The appointment of and keeping Mark Thomas as Head of Recruitment often goes without praise. But he has been with the club coming up to 8 years now and has completely revolutionised our recruitment process, and continues to improve it further.

Doesn't like being in the limelight but deserves so much credit.

I think Branagan and Sykes will go
But I think we will get Kane Baldock and Whyte plus others who must be on the radar

There is nothing we can do about Sykes as he will be ooc and appears to be determined to play in the Championship (cant blame him)
Brannagan as well may have been promised a
move if we don't go up.
If we don't go up then looking at the number of players either on loan, or looking at progression to the Championship, it will be back to the usual rebuild we've got used to. To say the season has still been a success though, after previously having reached the play offs is crazy, and I believe the first sign of preparing for what comes if we don't make it.

I am not referring to Seddon and Winnall.
I am referring to quality like the 2 Baldocks, Will Keane, Smith at Rotherham and that kind of player.
And I am not suggesting that we get rid of our model entirely.
To go up we need to go up a level. We cant sell our best players, replace them with I experienced young players and expect to finish above Wigan Rotherham, Blackburn etc
The problem with that his there are quite a few on here who say that is our model, ok last season was different with the players we kept, but if we sell as per our model as you say sell our best players and replace with young (in)experienced players and expect to finish above your Wigan’s and Rotherham’s.
However the following season possibly but if we stick to our model we would sell our best and have to start over again.

Well done KR lovely guy good manager and we are lucky to have him. We have got a very tough finish to the season fingers crossed we make the play offs for financial and football reasons. We have got the core of a good squad whatever happens we keep building on that ,keep knocking on the door and I for one hope he's here for alot longer. I would rather continuity . And if We go up we have got to be do patient my local Stoke are having an average season and the coates family can't get it right with 10 billion behind them. Well done again Karl here's to next four years
I see Stoke have transferred ownership of the ground essentially to Bet365 and £120m of loans by the Coates family have been written off by them, that's a tough world fir us to compete in no matter how good Karl is

The problem with that his there are quite a few on here who say that is our model, ok last season was different with the players we kept, but if we sell as per our model as you say sell our best players and replace with young (in)experienced players and expect to finish above your Wigan’s and Rotherham’s.
However the following season possibly but if we stick to our model we would sell our best and have to start over again.

The model isn't either/or though, Baz. The aim should be to invest in players that have resale value and marry that with a policy of bringing in players who can 'do a job' for you. If we treated every position as though it was 'the model' we would 1. have a very inexperienced XI going out to play every game and 2. lose pretty much everyone in January or the summer. For every sellable prospect like Luke McNally, we need a James Henry - a solid pro whose resale value is minimal. I think we strike a pretty good balance at times with this.

It's a myth that we have to 'start over again' when we sell players. We may lose one, two or even three players between the summers, but what this model has done is proven we can find replacements often before we sell the key asset. Farewell Ledson in July 2018, hello Cameron Brannagan to step into his shoes who arrived in January 2018. Off goes Rob Dickie in September 2020 but his replacement Rob Atkinson was in the house already having joined in January 2020. It works and Oisin Smyth could well be the replacement for Cam Bran should we not get promoted this season.

Look, the years 2001-2015 at the Kassam Stadium barely saw the footballing world look to Oxford United for players to sign. From memory the only players who commanded any kind of fee of interest were Dexter Blackstock and Dean Whitehead (Chris Hackett and Craig Davies left for minimal fees too), two youth team prospects before FK put a few nails in that coffin. Since 2015, we've sold players for fees totalling (from the top of my head) over £14.5m. Yes, we've invested heavily in future prospects and not all will work out, however that return must be making a profit for us. We're sat fifth in League 1 so we know it works.

Peterborough do it, Brentford to it and we do it. Long may it continue, I say.

Last edited:
The model isn't either/or though, Baz. The aim should be to invest in players that have resale value and marry that with a policy of bringing in players who can 'do a job' for you. If we treated every position as though it was 'the mode' we would 1. have a very inexperienced XI going out to play every game and 2. lose pretty much everyone in January or the summer. For every sellable prospect like Luke McNally, we need a James Henry - a solid pro whose resale value is minimal. I think we strike a pretty good balance at times with this.

It's a myth that we have to 'start over again' when we sell players. We may lose one, two or even three players between the summers, but what this model has done is proven we can find replacements often before we sell the key asset. Farewell Ledson in July 2018, hello Cameron Brannagan to step into his shoes who arrived in January 2018. Off goes Rob Dickie in September 2020 but his replacement Rob Atkinson was in the house already having joined in January 2020. It works and Oisin Smyth could well be the replacement for Cam Bran should we not get promoted this season.

Look, the years 2001-2015 at the Kassam Stadium barely saw the footballing world look to Oxford United for players to sign. From memory the only players who commanded any kind of fee of interest were Dexter Blackstock and Dean Whitehead (Chris Hackett and Craig Davies left for minimal fees too), two youth team prospects before FK put a few nails in that coffin. Since 2015, we've sold players for fees totalling (from the top of my head) over £14.5m. Yes, we've invested heavily in future prospects and not all will work out, however that return must be making a profit for us. We're sat fifth in League 1 so we know it works.

Peterborough do it, Brentford to it and we do it. Long may it continue, I say.
But we lose the players that are good for us and replace with players who may be as good or better, do those players we have brought in ready to hit the ground running and fight for promotion in their first season or do we bed them in and go for it the following season? In which case the following season we sell we recruit and we start all over again.

The appointment of and keeping Mark Thomas as Head of Recruitment often goes without praise. But he has been with the club coming up to 8 years now and has completely revolutionised our recruitment process, and continues to improve it further.

Doesn't like being in the limelight but deserves so much credit.
Oddly enough, a Wycombe supporting friend was asking me about our recruitment team the other week - he was saying how good we had been over the past few years why and hadn't anyone tried to recruit our recruitment team!

Ashton was the brains alongside Eales’ (then) money in getting the club set up. A bit like Lenagan Jr being a driving force behind us getting our youth system working properly again.

Is our youth system working properly ?

Back
Top Bottom