Manager/Coach Karl Robinson.

Even with the slow start we are still only 2 points off 5th place which shows that most teams have been inconsistent. Ipswich and Charlton are both in the bottom 4, do people still expect them to be challenging for the play offs come the end of the season? If yes then why can't we?

I think that's about accurate. I have seen that figure said too, no idea the accuracy, but when you look at other teams in the league that spent big:

Ipswich 800k on Chaplin, 800k on Burgess, 800k on Edmundson, 500k on Harper, more fees paid for Burns, Fraser, Morsy and Hladky, PLUS wages that'll be in the 10k range for Piggot, Carroll, Evans, Edwards and Aluko
Sunderland fees for two highly rated young full backs, and Pritchard will be on a decent wedge of a wage
Wigan 630k on Kerr and some players on big wages (Wyke, Amos, Bennett)
Bolton all free transfers but Kachunga and John will be on big wages
Wednesday fees for Berahino and Gregory, and Marv, Hunt, Byers and Brown will be on close to 10k wages
Charlton 500k on Kirk, 200k on Lavelle and whatever the Clare fee was (250k?)
Lincoln paid fees for Robson, Eyoma, Bishop and Sorensen that would have added up to a decent wedge of cash
Wycombe paid fees for Vokes and Hanlan, and players like Vokes, Kaikai and Scowen will be on good money, Vokes especially.

Throw in the clubs who probably have a similar if not slightly higher budget than us like Rotherham, Pompey, Doncaster and MK Dons it shows where we really are in terms of budget for the season - around upper mid table at best. In this world of undisclosed fees its hard to know exactly where everyone stands, but I think this gives a good idea.

In comparison we paid fees for Seddon and McGuane that totalled maybe 500k? And brought in 2 free transfers and two youngsters. Our loan players will be half decent fees, but the same could be said for plenty of the loan players of all the clubs above too (which I haven't even mentioned). And on top of that besides Ipswich (£2.5m) we had the highest incoming fees of any club in League 1 with just over £2m for Atkinson and Clare to help fund our spends. We've got probably our best budget under KR, but League 1 is ridiculous this year and that budget comparatively is probably worse than the last 2 years, and if KR gets us into the playoffs again he's done a ridiculously good job once again.

*All fees quoted are taken from TransferMarkt*
I can't understand the comments that we have a big budget so should be promoted.
It seems pretty clear that there are a number of clubs with a far higher budget than Oxford.
Having said that there is more stability at the club than many (Ipswich/ Charlton for example).
Play offs would be a decent achievement I would have thought based on budget compared to other clubs?

Saw this, liked this a lot!

The match day experience isn't good at the Kassam.

However, the team and manager make my Saturday's feel pretty good at the moment

View attachment 7252
I may not always agree with KR’s tactics or what he says after a match but there is no denying he gives everything for this football club
He is a great ambassador for football and I know the guys that run this group so big shout out for Garry Allen and Mick Casey as well. This is what grass roots football is all about and I’m thrilled that OUFC have taken the time to be with these kids

The "aggressive" January transfer window comments have started particularly early this year!

I would just like to say what a great job our manager and players have done in the last week or so. To take 4 points from the last two games with only half a squad including a draw against the in form league leaders is simply stunning. It has made me very proud to be an Oxford fan.

In the past I have been very critical of KR, and while at times I still think this has been justified I can only say now what a fantastic job he is doing. Even outside this recent quite frankly ridiculous situation we have found ourselves in overall this season we are greatly improved. The midfield KR has built is one of the best in the league, and when everyone is fit our first team is very very good. Last couple of seasons have seen us make a slow start and this season we have been much better (retaining a solid spine of a team has helped and we have added some very capable players). Another feature of last season which eventually did for us was the fact we looked poor compared to the top teams. Not so this season we now look like we could give anyone a game on the right day. KR must get the credit for a lot of this.

Are we perfect, well not quite. We are maybe two or three players short of a fantastic team. We are light of effective options up front. Short cover in one side of the full back positons and maybe with the injury to gorin another holding midfielder (who can also play in defense at a push) would be welcome. In January loaning in a young striker is a must (getting an experienced one may be too much of an ask) Winall is a passenger we do not need and Ageyi no matter how much I want him to succed does not look like he is the answer. If we add options up front to convert those many chances we are making but on occassion not taking. Plus add a little cover in the other areas we will be up for a good shot at a promotion push. I have some faith that KR is on the same song sheet here.

KR is a manager who seems to really shines when he is limited in team selection and over the last two games the results he and the team have delivered are stunning (there will be not many clubs who could do this with so many of their players missing). Well done KR keep up the good work and we will have a very exciting season.

It’s good to see a report like this as I too have thought for some time KR does not always get the recognition he deserves.
He is vocal about our team because he cares whether we do well or not.
If we get any sort of result on Saturday I think the rest of the league will take note.
Rotherham know this league inside out and are the yardstick other teams can measure their side by.
Wycombe somehow seem to be defying logic by staying up amongst the front runners. I’m surprised he’s not gone on to an established championship club.
As expected Wigan are having a great season and may step up.
I really hope Oxford can do the same without third time lucky with the play offs

Back
Top Bottom