Looking Back at the Old Oxford days

Deserves a thread of its own; Tacchini, Ellesse, Puma G.Villas and Diadora Borg Elite….Mrs ES keeps telling me to grow up and stop browsing online at 80’s Casual Classics.
Remember a shop along Cowley Road that sold all that gear, cracking shop .

I wore a Sergio Tacchini Matts Willander tracksuit to an 80s night, no one really got that I was a casual, looked blankly when I told them but f**k em, I was comfortable and I had pockets as well.

I wore a Sergio Tacchini Matts Willander tracksuit to an 80s night, no one really got that I was a casual, looked blankly when I told them but f**k em, I was comfortable and I had pockets as well.
Haha quality, was it in scumdon. 🤣

I remember plug running past us past the bell in old Headington being chased by 2 blokes with pool ques, seeing us and turning round and chasing them with us in tow.
Great days.

Pluggy is still alive and well and living the dream stateside with his family. No idea how he got there but fair play to him. Great lad!
Must have been being chased from Viking Sports & Social which often got a bit "Wild West" of a weekend evening.

I must of crossed paths with 1 or 2 of you !!!?
born 1952 went to Margaret Rd school.
Lived in New High St. until 68 then to Wharton Rd just up from Quarry Gate.
local pubs I used, with some landlord names.
1st pub as regular, Butchers Arms ( Rose and Bernie Grain ). Later other landlords.
The Royal Standard ( John&Beryl Stroud ) they opened the United Bar around the back,
had a drink with Jimmy Barron a couple of times.
The Britannia ( Roy&Betty Quatermain ) hell of a big fight in there with W.B.A supporters.
Roy used to take money to park in his car park then run across the road at 3 to watch the game.
Oxford Utd Supporters Club. Nibb Cooper, Cyril Newport, Basil Cooper etc
Womble on the door in later years. My late brother Bob ran the Junior Supporters Club.
Black Boy ( Leigh Jackson). Used to drink in the snug and as previously mentioned great Varsity Bitter and winter College Ale. then along Devils Alley to the game.
White Hart ( Maurice&Cynthia Jacobs ) Chairman’s Ron Coppocks daughter and Related to The Meesons who run The Masons. Often had a pint with the joker Terry Gordon and league referee Dennis Hedges
In the 70/ 80s I was a barman at The Roebuck, Duke of York and the Fairview
I was also in charge and later helped run The Oxford Utd Supporters club Sunday League side that played in the premier league and won a few cups.

The Dolly was serving me when I was 15 and the Lamb & Flag wasn’t far behind.

Always wondered how that got away with health and safety. As far as I’m aware it was one way in and one way out (stairway). Since became the purple turtle?

I used to go in the Wig n Pen, Yates’s, Old Fire Station. Brew house, then changed to the Goose.

DTM that was a sticky carpet joint 😂

Peanut and all that crowd, what a time to grow up!
I remember plug running past us past the bell in old Headington being chased by 2 blokes with pool ques, seeing us and turning round and chasing them with us in tow.
Great days.
I must of crossed paths with 1 or 2 of you !!!?
born 1952 went to Margaret Rd school.
Lived in New High St. until 68 then to Wharton Rd just up from Quarry Gate.
local pubs I used, with some landlord names.
1st pub as regular, Butchers Arms ( Rose and Bernie Grain ). Later other landlords.
The Royal Standard ( John&Beryl Stroud ) they opened the United Bar around the back,
had a drink with Jimmy Barron a couple of times.
The Britannia ( Roy&Betty Quatermain ) hell of a big fight in there with W.B.A supporters.
Roy used to take money to park in his car park then run across the road at 3 to watch the game.
Oxford Utd Supporters Club. Nibb Cooper, Cyril Newport, Basil Cooper etc
Womble on the door in later years. My late brother Bob ran the Junior Supporters Club.
Black Boy ( Leigh Jackson). Used to drink in the snug and as previously mentioned great Varsity Bitter and winter College Ale. then along Devils Alley to the game.
White Hart ( Maurice&Cynthia Jacobs ) Chairman’s Ron Coppocks daughter and Related to The Meesons who run The Masons. Often had a pint with the joker Terry Gordon and league referee Dennis Hedges
In the 70/ 80s I was a barman at The Roebuck, Duke of York and the Fairview
I was also in charge and later helped run The Oxford Utd Supporters club Sunday League side that played in the premier league and won a few cups.
so many names in there that I remember.

White Hart ( Maurice&Cynthia Jacobs ) Chairman’s Ron Coppocks daughter and Related to The Meesons who run The Masons.
Cynthia (RIP) was Steph Meason's (née Coppock) sister. Married to Dave Meason (ex keeper) who had a sports shop on St Clements. Got my picture taken with Geoff Hurst there.

Cynthia (RIP) was Steph Meason's (née Coppock) sister. Married to Dave Meason (ex keeper) who had a sports shop on St Clements. Got my picture taken with Geoff Hurst there.
He had a shop on London rd as well, Cynthia was a lovely woman who had the white Harte in Headington with Maurice, great boozer.

I saw the news and Thread about the Lamb and Flag, so thought I would restart this thread.

So question, when you were young, what was your "route" and Pubs on a Friday night?

I saw the news and Thread about the Lamb and Flag, so thought I would restart this thread.

So question, when you were young, what was your "route" and Pubs on a Friday night?
Northgate, Roebuck, Whites bar, Bulldog ..... occasionally that bar at the Randolph, it had a rowing boat on the wall, but I cant remember its name! (anyone? ) .... among others

not necessarily in the order remembered either

Northgate, Roebuck, Whites bar, Bulldog ..... occasionally that bar at the Randolph, it had a rowing boat on the wall, but I cant remember its name! (anyone? ) .... among others

Now you've got me thinking Sarge? Was it the Isis Bar at the Randolph, entered from the side of the hotel, just past the cinema?

Whites Bar and Roebuck were both good boozers back then.

Tree he Roebuck argh, a ghastly pub. I remember going in their pre Scum night match ( we won 3-0 ) and thought I would have a Gypsies and the toilet floor was awash with P**s water and a floating turd. Give me the crown any day

Last edited:
Now you've got me thinking Sarge? Was it the Isis Bar at the Randolph, entered from the side of the hotel, just past the cinema?

Whites Bar and Roebuck were both good boozers back then.
Thats the one @Colin B

Isis bar does ring a bell ? ... that may well have been the name

Headington was White Horse, Britt, Standard and then it varied .... Butchers and back on a "short" night or Bell, Black Boy, White Hart and back to Standard, Brit, White Horse on a long one!

Can remember Malcolm taking over the White Horse, had two Rottweilers and a some cracking bar staff. :love:

Town was Plasterers, Coach & Horses, Port Mahon, Oranges & Lemons (A&G) then the Cape to meet any Cowley mates from the bus. Rarely got much beyond Carfax!

• React
Reactions: QR
Back
Top Bottom