Looking Back at the Old Oxford days

Quarry: Shotover, Amp, Chequers, Six bells. Masons was crap back then. Well they all were!

Headington: Bell, Back Boy, White Hart

Town: Chequers, Crown, Brewhouse (which was brilliant in its prime)

Cowley road: University and City, James Street, Up stairs at the Cape, Bully.

and many more

The Queens westbury… now flats!
Got a bit tasty in there on occasion.

Northgate, Roebuck, Whites bar, Bulldog ..... occasionally that bar at the Randolph, it had a rowing boat on the wall, but I cant remember its name! (anyone? ) .... among others

not necessarily in the order remembered either
When was that Sarge? I remember the Roebuck and Bulldog, but where was North Gate and Whites?

And what was the purpose?

Us "oldies" trying to be explain to our children or the young generation we didn't had Facebook (we didn't even have mobile phones or Internet when I was 18). Meeting at the Pub was your Facebook, trying to pull in a pub or club was your Tinder...

Late 60s very early 70

The Northgate Tavern was on Cornmarket, became Harlelequin records, I think

Whites bar was off High street, carfax end ...down a long corridor entrance to which was close to if not next to what was (dont know if it still is?) A tobbacconist

Three horse shoes in Old marston village first. Lived closer to the Jack Russell but couldn’t get served.
Into Town, it was the Blenheim then the roebuck followed by whites bar.
I knew a barman in whites & we would attend lock-ins on a Saturday night. Free jukebox, collected all the dregs & fed them to the two dalmations. They got so drunk they could only move about by leaning against the wall. Funny then not so now.

Three horse shoes in Old marston village first. Lived closer to the Jack Russell but couldn’t get served.
Into Town, it was the Blenheim then the roebuck followed by whites bar.
I knew a barman in whites & we would attend lock-ins on a Saturday night. Free jukebox, collected all the dregs & fed them to the two dalmations. They got so drunk they could only move about by leaning against the wall. Funny then not so now.
I was a barman in Whites bar1968-9. Can't remember much but the lockins were fun, including the plod on beat in for a pint 😌

Is the Carfax Chippy still there or did it go ages ago?

I should say I've only been in the City centre once or twice in many years.

Is the Carfax Chippy still there or did it go ages ago?

I should say I've only been in the City centre once or twice in many years.
dunno .... I rarely venture into 'town' these days

do remember the old carfax chippy though. Probably , with so many fast food chain outlets in 'town' carfax chippy has gone? not that I know for sure

dunno .... I rarely venture into 'town' these days

do remember the old carfax chippy though. Probably , with so many fast food chain outlets in 'town' carfax chippy has gone? not that I know for sure
It was unique, going down the alleyway if I remember. Heaven knows what it was like to those that lived near the chippy and the smell.

It was the penny farthing, then the parrot with a downstairs bar that once got raided by the police for underage drinking (rumour was they only found one person of legal age) then something else which I have forgotten and then a lap dancing bar.

It was the penny farthing, then the parrot with a downstairs bar that once got raided by the police for underage drinking (rumour was they only found one person of legal age) then something else which I have forgotten and then a lap dancing bar.
Now a weird religious sect headquarters, Christian I think.

The old bingo hall on Magdalen Road is also a Christian centre, I once saw Wishbone Ash there.

Now a weird religious sect headquarters, Christian I think.

The old bingo hall on Magdalen Road is also a Christian centre, I once saw Wishbone Ash there.

The Exeter hall further down the Cowley/Oxford Road is an Islamic centre now as well, look forward to when the Hare Krishnas take The Blackbird over, managing what Millwall couldn’t.

Back
Top Bottom