Local News LTNs- good, bad( &/or ugly)?

Low Traffic Nieghborhoods

• Good

Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Bad

Votes: 23 85.2%

• Total voters
When will Oxford get a Workplace Parking Levy?
That's the next plan in Leicester, having made the City centre almost inaccessible by car for shopping etc they are now going after businesses and their employees who drive to work in the wider city.
If the employer has more than 11 parking spaces they get charged £550 per space and it is "optional" if the employer passes it on to the employee.
Schools, NHS etc are not exempt - and NHS staff already pay to park based on salary so MrsEY(Mk2) will potentially be stumping up over £1k a year to drive & park at work as public transport is not viable due to time & connections.

OCC have implemented these LTN's just a few days before a ONE month roadwork project at Marsh Road.

This morning, traffic was queued from The Swan traffic lights, all the way back past John Allan Centre, up Church Cowley Road. Also, from the mini roundabout on Barns Road/Between Towns Road back to BBL Bridge!

nightmare!
There is also roadworks on Between Towns Road at the junction by John Allen Centre - reduced lanes and temporary traffic lights. Was a 5 min queue half way along Church Cowley Road, and looked like it was queued the other way to the Swan just now (8pm)

The council don't help themselves though. Driving into Oxford from Cowley and parking at Westgate (with their chosen low prices) in the evening is cheaper than getting a return on the bus.

Petition against LTNs.

I'm a Cowley boy and have one on my road and all the surrounding roads. With the proposed Holloway bus gate it'll be extremely difficult to get around easily.

signed

and i signed a petition opposing a bus gate on Hollow way the other day ..... Hollow way is part of my route to and from the 'bird on home matchdays!

There is also roadworks on Between Towns Road at the junction by John Allen Centre - reduced lanes and temporary traffic lights. Was a 5 min queue half way along Church Cowley Road, and looked like it was queued the other way to the Swan just now (8pm)
Yes, they have been there a few days, then had the temp traffic light down to one lane.

But traffic this am was queued from The Swan all the way down Church Cowley Rd.

The council don't help themselves though. Driving into Oxford from Cowley and parking at Westgate (with their chosen low prices) in the evening is cheaper than getting a return on the bus.
Not when the the new tax comes in

It's a bit stupid to judge it when it's been in place less than a week. Studies on similar schemes in London and the Netherlands have shown that after a few months the LTNs do have the desired effect of making people switch to alternative forms of transport and reduce traffic on the main arterial routes. I agree they're a pain in the a**e now, but if they're successful in the medium to long term maybe it's worth a bit of short-term pain?

EDIT: I did NOT type a**e

The trouble is with these schemes is that they are a tax on the poor. If you are reasonably wealthy you can live in the city and either work from home or have a 10 minute walk to work. If you are poorer you have to drive because the reality of getting into a job at say the JR for 8:00 when you have kids or whatever means that the public transport isn’t actually an option and so you have to drive. You don’t earn enough to drive electric so you have to pay for petrol or diesel pay for parking and get sent the long way round because some councillor thinks a box in the middle of the street is a great idea.

It’s I’ll thought out polluting claptrap.

It's a bit stupid to judge it when it's been in place less than a week. Studies on similar schemes in London and the Netherlands have shown that after a few months the LTNs do have the desired effect of making people switch to alternative forms of transport and reduce traffic on the main arterial routes. I agree they're a pain in the a**e now, but if they're successful in the medium to long term maybe it's worth a bit of short-term pain?

London has a viable system of alternative public transport. The rest of the country is less fortunate.

The trouble is with these schemes is that they are a tax on the poor. If you are reasonably wealthy you can live in the city and either work from home or have a 10 minute walk to work. If you are poorer you have to drive because the reality of getting into a job at say the JR for 8:00 when you have kids or whatever means that the public transport isn’t actually an option and so you have to drive. You don’t earn enough to drive electric so you have to pay for petrol or diesel pay for parking and get sent the long way round because some councillor thinks a box in the middle of the street is a great idea.

It’s I’ll thought out polluting claptrap.

^^^^ we don`t agree on much but this is spot on and reflective of the issues around these parts. If the alternatives were affordable & viable people could make a choice.

If MrsEY(Mk2) wants to get a bus to work she would have to leave home at 6.15am to get the bus into town, then get a second bus to her office and would arrive at 7.35am. 1 hour and 20 minutes on public transport for a journey that takes 20 minutes in a car.

Staff at the hospitals that work shifts have little/no chance of using public transport at both ends of their shifts mostly because the services don`t start early enough or finish too soon.

London has a viable system of alternative public transport. The rest of the country is less fortunate.

^^^^ we don`t agree on much but this is spot on and reflective of the issues around these parts. If the alternatives were affordable & viable people could make a choice.

If MrsEY(Mk2) wants to get a bus to work she would have to leave home at 6.15am to get the bus into town, then get a second bus to her office and would arrive at 7.35am. 1 hour and 20 minutes on public transport for a journey that takes 20 minutes in a car.

Staff at the hospitals that work shifts have little/no chance of using public transport at both ends of their shifts mostly because the services don`t start early enough or finish too soon.
Knew we’d get there one day!

This, of course, is key.

It's unfortunate, to say the least, that the introduction of LTNs in east Oxford coincided with the decision to severely cut the numbers of buses and bus routes, when it's the reverse that ought to be happening - a good case for bringing the bus companies back under public control so that less profitable routes can be subsidised rather than eliminated.

The Cowley/Littlemore LTNs have been in place for a good year or more now, i doubt if they've increased the number of cyclists and pedestrians leaving the car at home by 10% in that time. But the congestion is terrible, they need to stick a few of the pollution monitors in to see how its possibly affecting peoples health

The Cowley/Littlemore LTNs have been in place for a good year or more now, i doubt if they've increased the number of cyclists and pedestrians leaving the car at home by 10% in that time. But the congestion is terrible, they need to stick a few of the pollution monitors in to see how its possibly affecting peoples health
Oh Charlie would beg to differ.

Some of the stats they were spouting out!

Seems there a fair few fittys cycling/walking now.

For someone who lives in littlemore I can safely say the LTN's are a pain in the a**e the only people who think they work are people who don't drive..
Newman road has to be one of the most polluted road in Oxford that road was never designed for the amount of traffic it has on it
Oxford road certain times of the day doesn't move the funny thing was with this road they put the LTN on Cowley road I think it's called and then closed Oxford road to put speed humps in so again all the traffic went to Newman road
We have 3 ways of getting out if littlemore if you want to go to templars square don't bother you a journey that used to take 5 mins now takes 30 depending on time of day
The problem is these LTN plant pots ent going anywhere the council don't listen to the residents and it cost to much to put them.and keep them to just get rid of them

Unfortunately the whole County not just the City of Oxford is facing a legacy of Bearder's (and now his successor's) ill thought out plans that followed his own anti-car agenda. And this is something that is not going to be easily reversed once the Lid Dem/Green coalition is eventually voted out. They see the solution to be stopping car journeys rather than finding ways to improving car journeys as a means to make everybody's use of the road better.

Consultations have been pointless as they have been ignored. The overwhelming majority of respondents rejected the LTNs, yet after the vandalism of the latest LTN installation we have Councillors this week going on about giving them a chance to see whether they work and successfully achieve what they expect them to. From the previous pilot just down the road they have already been rejected. So why have more? Didn't they get the message? Are they deliberately trying to antagonise their own people they are supposed to represent by imposing something on them which they have said they don't want? Just because their personal thoughts and agenda has been rejected by the overwhelming majority doesn't mean they should be allowed go ahead anyway because they see themselves as right and everyone else as wrong.

Witney High Street closure opposed by the majority of consultation respondents, yet OCC still did it and businesses complaining about the impact as it has happened just as they feared.

Bicester ring road speed limit reduction supported by just 29% of respondents to the consultation, yet OCC still passed their proposal with some terrible lame reasoning for why they chose to pass it anyway which is basically a load of lies spun to sound believable. Bearder even had the cheek to comment after his 'victory' passing the proposal that it would be sensible for the next move for Bicester centre to go to a 20mph zone as well. Despite him supposedly being suitably qualified to make decisions affecting the town he obviously knows nothing about it as the centre has been 20mph for months!

Bicester roundabout alteration consultation gave 4 different options that respondents could choose as their preferred alteration scheme, the one chosen to implement by the Council was the 3rd choice by the respondents. And now the option that they chose has become so expensive the whole thing has been dropped and they are having to completely rethink it again and it possibly may not even happen with all the money done on design, consultation, planning etc completely wasted.

I was no fan of how Ian Hudspeth managed Oxfordshire roads, but I would have him back immediately as a significantly better and more sensible option than this Lid Dem/Green coalition who seem to have had power go to their head completely (I know Labour are in there as well, but really they are only a part of it to keep the Conservatives out). They'll be telling us what we will be allowed to eat soon...hold on...wait a minute....

Back
Top Bottom